Jump to content

Least Favorite Characters/Most Hated Characters


Lord of Raventree Hall
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, I'm bored, and I made a topic. People always do favorite characters, why not least favorite. I'm going to kind of do both things I put in the title. 1st I'll do "least favorite" and they will just be characters I don't care about, followed by "most hated" and these are characters I like to hate (i.e. great villains). Do it however you want. 

Least Favorite PoVs

1. Aeron Greyjoy - I feel bad for Aeron Greyjoy, however I find his religious piety, general demeaner, and ....lack of forethought hard to read. He is just not a pleasant person to be around. I wish they'd given Aeron's chapters to Victorian and Aeron had never been a PoV honestly. I just don't think he added much to the story. 

2. Arys Oakheart - One PoV, that I think would have just been better to have been Arianne. I don't dislike Arys by the way, I just...don't understand why he was a PoV 1 time. 

3. Areo Hotah - This is hard, I actually like Areo...however, much like Aeron, I think his PoV was pointless. It would have been better served having more Arianne chapters instead. I felt like GRRM added a few too many new PoVs, and Areo, Aeron, and Arys were in particular the ones that felt...tacked on. Arianne is literally..in both of Areo's chapters and Arys chapter, lol. I just am not sure we needed these separate characters. 

4. Chett - What an annoying dude. I actually liked his chapter, but man is he not a pleasant man to be in the head of. 

5. Varymyr Sixskins - Same as Chett. I didn't want to know what was going on in this dudes head. Actually Varymyr should be #2 after Aeron..but I understand his purpose in the story, so I'll keep him here. Also, I'm lazy to re-order. 

Least Favorite Non-PoVs

Actually it's hard to think of non-Povs I want removed from the story. I guess there are probably some, but they don't last long enough to bother me I guess. 

Most Hated Characters!!!! The fun part

1. Cersei Lannister - I quite love to hate Cersei. She is evil, she has some low cunning, and I love watching her downfall in AFfC. I don't have much to say, I guess I'm straight forward. 

2. Tywin Lannister - Yeah, surprised everyone? Listen, I freaking hate Tywin, with a passion that burns in my soul. But never once have I thought, "I wish Tywin was removed from this story." No, I like the purpose he serves in the story. An antagonist that is very easy to hate. He was ironically particularly effective as an antagonist from his own son's perspective. Tyrion wouldn't be Tyrion without Tywin, and the story would lose a lot without their dynamic. 

3. Viserys Targaryen - Viserys was such a prick, and so easy to hate in the first book. But he played his role in the story perfectly acting as a catalyst for both Daenerys' best traits and worse ones, and is an ever present figure without Daenerys's mind in a similar way to Tywin for Tyrion. 

4. Stannis Baratheon but only in ACoK - Yes, I know many of you love Stannis. But Stannis was probably the best villain of ACoK. Cersei was the best in AGoT, Tywin the best in ASoS, Cersei again in AFfC, and finally .............. actually I'm not sure, Roose Bolton I guess for ADwD. Stannis literally kills a his brother followed by Cortney Penrose, and he opens the book by being a shit to Cressen who clearly loved him. To be honest, I have mixed feelings on Stannis through ADwD, but in ACoK, I only felt hatred, but again like Viserys, Tywin, and Cersei....a good kind of hatred that drove the story and made me want to read more! 

5. .....Insert Villain of ADwD... - Weird no villains jump out to me in ADwD. I don't particularly like Bowen Marsh as a villain (although he serves his purpose), Tyrion...is kind of the villain through half his storyline I guess, lol. Man would people hate if I put Tyrion in a villain list, lol. But no, I am cheering for him in at least sections of ADwD. Daenerys's main villain is really her own self/decision making, as the Green Grace (most likely the Harpy) she doesn't even realize is her main villain. Arya...has no villain in her storyline. Victorian is almost certainly the villain of his storyline, but he only has a few chapters. Qyntyn's villain is...like the Hero's Journey, lol. Theon's villain is really more himself than it is Ramsay. I guess that one chapter where Theon talks to Roose Bolton was quite good...but it is literally one chapter. Hmmm, maybe this is why some people don't like ADwD..no solid villain. However, I love ADwD, I like that Theon or Daenerys are their own villains. I like that Jon's own mistakes are more of what brings him down then anything Bowen Marsh did. I like that Qyntyn's hero's journey is really his villain. And I like whatever is going on with Tyrion (I guess maybe...Nurse was his main villain, lol)....but I can't really find a villain for this book. Alright I'm done.

Edited by Lord of Raventree Hall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jon's middle POV characters in Dance are tedious on the nth re-read. Aeron Greyjoy can get on my nerves with his endless mantra about a godly man sitting on the Seastone Chair. The long descriptions of everything when Bran is inside Summer in Clash and Storm make me roll my eyes as well. 

My least favorite chapter is Davos III in Clash. Too much of the chapter feels like reading the names of every single boat in Westeros (after reading Fevre Dream I get GRRM's fixation with ships though). Action is never that great to read and GRRM is much more excellent with witty dialogue. I think Davos himself s the least interesting POV character since he has no agenda, he just gets imprisoned and acts like a moral compass to Stannis. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Least favorite ? Catelyn and Sansa. Though Cat at least served as a POV for Robb. Sansa on the other hand ? Could have done without her. Cersei is also on the list, although one or two chapters might have been necessary lacking other characters in KL.

For the most hated characters, that´s easy Joffrey, Joffrey, Joffrey, Joffrey ,Joffrey.... :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are we talking about least favorite POV's, because I like all of them..............................EXCEPT FOR QUENTYN MARTELL. Listen, the guy is a nice kid for the most part and Dany turning down his offer, I honestly think was a bad choice on her part, but I find reading his chapters to be insanely boring. I almost feel like you could remove his POV from the novel and not miss a beat at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Least Favourite POV - Areo

Most Hated Character - Stannis

This is only fair considered who Stannis killed. Although I didn't list Walder Frey despite him being responsible for Catelyn's death. I guess he neither strays far enough into me just disliking him to include him on a dislike list, nor do I love to hate him like these others enough to include him there. He is a decent villain, but ..then his killing of Cat makes it so I just kind of hate him wihtout liking him as a villain at the same time. I certainly will enjoy if he dies though, lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I guess he neither strays far enough into me just disliking him to include him on a dislike list, nor do I love to hate him like these others enough to include him there. He is a decent villain, but ..then his killing of Cat makes it so I just kind of hate him wihtout liking him as a villain at the same time.

He is detestable but in a generic way, plus we can be fairly sure he will get his comeuppance, which mitigates the intensity of dislike a little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

This is only fair considered who Stannis killed. Although I didn't list Walder Frey despite him being responsible for Catelyn's death. I guess he neither strays far enough into me just disliking him to include him on a dislike list, nor do I love to hate him like these others enough to include him there. He is a decent villain, but ..then his killing of Cat makes it so I just kind of hate him wihtout liking him as a villain at the same time. I certainly will enjoy if he dies though, lol. 

He's also hardly in any of these books. He's been in what, three chapters I think. Three chapters out of 5 books, each around 700 to 800 pages long. Horrible man, but hard to loathe, when we hardly get to see him. 

Edited by sifth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Most Hated Character - Stannis

“No soul knows his trouble
High upon his throne,
Loved by few and judged by many
he bears that weight alone”  

22 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

So, I'm bored, and I made a topic. People always do favorite characters, why not least favorite. I'm going to kind of do both things I put in the title. 1st I'll do "least favorite" and they will just be characters I don't care about, followed by "most hated" and these are characters I like to hate (i.e. great villains). Do it however you want. 

 

Least Favourite POV

Tyrion in AGOT (not because it’s boring or uninteresting, he just isn’t very likeable, especially the way he wants to take revenge on the entire Vale for something Catelyn did)

Daenerys in ACOK

It’s hard to pick a least favourite for ASOS, because even Daenerys’ story perks up in this book, but I’m still going with her

Brienne in AFFC (except for her interactions with Meribald and the Brotherhood)

Bran and Daenerys in ADWD

Most Hated Characters

Tywin Lannister

Brynden “Bloodraven” Rivers (he’s technically in the main series, so he counts)

Cersei Lannister

Joffrey Baratheon

Rhaegar Targaryen

Lyanna Stark (assuming she was complicit in her “abduction”)

Robert Baratheon

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

Tyrion in AGOT (not because it’s boring or uninteresting, he just isn’t very likeable, especially the way he wants to take revenge on the entire Vale for something Catelyn did)

Lysa* Not once does he think about Catelyn. You may have a vendetta against Catelyn, but Tyrion didn't. He did it because of something Lysa did. 

Wait also, really Lyanna? Most hated. She is only mentioned a lot in AGoT. How do you keep the hate burning? lol. Man to each his won, but you literally listed...like half my favorite PoVs in your list. Amazing how different people can be, lol. 

Edited by Lord of Raventree Hall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Lysa* Not once does he think about Catelyn. You may have a vendetta against Catelyn, but Tyrion didn't. He did it because of something Lysa did. 

I feel like either I’m misreading your tone or you are making a strange assumption about me. I have no vendetta against Catelyn, I was simply pointing out that she arrested Tyrion and brought him to the Vale.

7 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

 

Wait also, really Lyanna? Most hated. She is only mentioned a lot in AGoT. How do you keep the hate burning? lol. Man to each his won, but you literally listed...like half my favorite PoVs in your list. Amazing how different people can be, lol. 

I’m of the opinion that Lyanna and Rhaegar are reprehensible people if they eloped. They were happy to hide away and let everyone think that Rhaegar abducted Lyanna. They were apparently content to sit back as war erupted across the Seven Kingdoms, killing countless people. And for what? For their love? To produce the third head? I really dislike the notion that their actions will be justified by their child saving humanity from the Others. I sincerely hope that GRRM won’t try to claim that starting a huge war (and indirectly causing an even bigger one as a result) is justified by the end result. That puts a nasty taste in my mouth. I’d rather the Others win than accept that notion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, James Steller said:

I feel like either I’m misreading your tone or you are making a strange assumption about me. I have no vendetta against Catelyn, I was simply pointing out that she arrested Tyrion and brought him to the Vale.

I’m of the opinion that Lyanna and Rhaegar are reprehensible people if they eloped. They were happy to hide away and let everyone think that Rhaegar abducted Lyanna. They were apparently content to sit back as war erupted across the Seven Kingdoms, killing countless people. And for what? For their love? To produce the third head? I really dislike the notion that their actions will be justified by their child saving humanity from the Others. I sincerely hope that GRRM won’t try to claim that starting a huge war (and indirectly causing an even bigger one as a result) is justified by the end result. That puts a nasty taste in my mouth. I’d rather the Others win than accept that notion.

My tone was....mild, lol. Not aggressive nor passive. I suppose the word vendetta might have been too much. I apologize for that. Tyrion directly says the reason he armed the .....mountain clans was because of Lysa, not Catelyn. Yes, Catelyn brought him there...but then Lysa put him in a cell and on trial. Lysa is the one he expresses hate for, not Catelyn, and again..he directly says he did it to pay Lysa back, not Catelyn. His own words, not mine. 

Lyanna was 16. Even if she went with Rhaegar of free will....I don't think she had a lot of choice in how things played out. I kind of agree with you, but I blame Rhaegar almost entirely. Why didn't he tell anyone? I feel like...a single raven might have solved the entire war. 

However! I also subscribe to the theory that the lords were actually planning to remove Arys from the throne. Now did they plan to put Rhaegar on the throne? Or Robert? I'm not sure. But I think there was a plot against Arys..ironically meaning some of his paranoia...was actually founded on something. My reason is all the marriage packs. Robert to Lyanna, Brandon to Catelyn, Robert and Eddard wards of Jon Arryn, and Lysa and Jaime were maybe originally supposed to be betrothed as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

My tone was....mild, lol. Not aggressive nor passive. I suppose the word vendetta might have been too much. I apologize for that. Tyrion directly says the reason he armed the .....mountain clans was because of Lysa, not Catelyn. Yes, Catelyn brought him there...but then Lysa put him in a cell and on trial. Lysa is the one he expresses hate for, not Catelyn, and again..he directly says he did it to pay Lysa back, not Catelyn. His own words, not mine. 

 

True, and I’ll retract that, then. Though since we’re talking about that, I hate the way Tyrion reacts to Masha Heddle’s fate, as if she deserved it.

13 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

 

Lyanna was 16. Even if she went with Rhaegar of free will....I don't think she had a lot of choice in how things played out. I kind of agree with you, but I blame Rhaegar almost entirely. Why didn't he tell anyone? I feel like...a single raven might have solved the entire war. 

 

I do mostly blame Rhaegar, you’re right. He strikes me as some kind of cultist and egomaniac. To have him be 100% correct about this prophecy would poison my entire experience with ASOIAF.

And I wouldn’t blame the lords for wanting to dethrone Aerys. He was clearly unfit to rule. But I don’t think Rhaegar was much better if he was willing to desert his family and let who knows how many people die because of Lyanna.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, James Steller said:

And I wouldn’t blame the lords for wanting to dethrone Aerys. He was clearly unfit to rule. But I don’t think Rhaegar was much better if he was willing to desert his family and let who knows how many people die because of Lyanna.

This is an underrated point that I've often thought about. What if Rhaegar would have been a terrible King. I think it is at least possible. I guess, where I see the realm being saved is he just has a very competent hand (I guess maybe Jon Cannington would be his choice) and then he just can do his own thing, lol. But as a King, if he just is melancholy all the time, randomly does things without telling anyone why, disappears randomly, and constantly tries to follow prophecies, he would probably be a rather poor King. Maybe not as bad as Aerys, but Robert-level seems possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Maybe not as bad as Aerys, but Robert-level seems possible. 

I know you probably don't want this thread to veer off track, but I wanted to say I find this interesting, and I agree. Robert-level, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. However good and noble of a man he was, he was willing to put an immediate problem on the back burner for a dream that he lacked way too much knowledge of. And that's only if he impregnated Lyanna because of the prophecy. If he really did believe in the prophecy, it would make more sense to dethrone his father before diving back into it. So his sense of urgency is confusing. He constantly stalls and hesitates with his plot to dethrone his father, but when it comes to the prophecy he throws caution to the wind. Based off of that, I agree with your assumption that he would have prioritized his prophecy and dreams over his duties. I think the realm would have been majorly disappointed and felt like they were right back where they started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...