US Politics the Biden's age a nothing burger edition

DireWolfSpirit

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm not sure about that. God save us from nasty people who believe they are the pillars of moral rectitude. No one wants to be THAT person to put Godwin's law in motions, but the Nazis thought they were the morally upstanding ones and that everyone else was wrong. In the choice between bad and bad that thinks it's good, one could argue that it's less harmful to go with plain old bad.

Even for the Nazi party, it's not right to generalize them all into one mindset. There were similar dynamics at play. There were plenty of institutional Germans who thought Hitler was crazy, but hated the communists more, or thought he could eventually be controlled...and then eventually just appeased to get as far as they could in the new regime, silently grinding their teeth from time to time. Their cowardice was absolutely essential to Hitler's takeover, but it's both distinct from fervent Nazi true believers and the complete psychopaths.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sounds like six of one… a half dozen of another.

Probably in most cases. I'm just saying that, while the cowardly appeasers who think of themselves as good should not be relied upon to save democracy, they can in fairness have a moment or two of real consequence (like Pence at one or two crucial moments), and that's not nothing--though they shouldn't be treated as heroes for it. 

And also, if we ever get to the point where MAGA is just as publicly detested as the Nazi party, we will need to invite the more "moderate" folks back to some new moral status quo. The milquetoast cowards of the movement would be far easier to rehabilitate in such a new environment than the MTGs, Comers, Boberts, Stephen Millers, etc.

29 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Probably in most cases. I'm just saying that, while the cowardly appeasers who think of themselves as good should not be relied upon to save democracy, they can in fairness have a moment or two of real consequence (like Pence at one or two crucial moments), and that's not nothing--though they shouldn't be treated as heroes for it. 

And also, if we ever get to the point where MAGA is just as publicly detested as the Nazi party, we will need to invite the more "moderate" folks back to some new moral status quo. The milquetoast cowards of the movement would be far easier to rehabilitate in such a new environment than the MTGs, Comers, Boberts, Stephen Millers, etc.

Just had this exchange on Twitter.  Milquetoast supports of Trump think his evil is “exaggerated”… with everything we saw on 1/6/2021… they think Trump’s evil is “exaggerated”.

What… the… actual… fuck… do… they… need… to… fucking… see… to… recognize… the… mother… fucking… danger??!

https://x.com/winton_linde/status/1732405671025360996?s=46

Whitmer just signed an EO asking the entire state fleet of cars (~8000) to go electric, right now there's only 3. Cant wait for the inevitable gnashing of teeth and disingenuous gibberish about fires, child labor, pictures of lithium mines and boring jokes about charging times from the usual suspects.

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Just had this exchange on Twitter.  Milquetoast supports of Trump think his evil is “exaggerated”… with everything we saw on 1/6/2021… they think Trump’s evil is “exaggerated”.

What… the… actual… fuck… do… they… need… to… fucking… see… to… recognize… the… mother… fucking… danger??!

https://x.com/winton_linde/status/1732405671025360996?s=46

Just accept that ship has sailed. 

My Dad and other former Trump supporters will not support him again… is he getting new supporters to replace those he’s lost?  

Kudos to your dad, but I doubt he's lost that many. My dad was formerly reticent about Trump, but now he's more all-in than ever.

Does your dad say why?

It's never coherent. Mostly fueled by ginned up grievances, cherry-picked outrages, and the general sense that "the radical left" has captured so much of politics and culture that we need some unconventional methods to solve the problem. A fairly evasive and un-radical way to justify radical anti-democratic sentiment.

4 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

It's never coherent. Mostly fueled by ginned up grievances, cherry-picked outrages, and the general sense that "the radical left" has captured so much of politics and culture that we need some unconventional methods to solve the problem. A fairly evasive and un-radical way to justify radical anti-democratic sentiment.

Well, if Trump wins we will  definitely see “unconventional methods” all over the place, but maybe that won’t play out the way many of his supporters think it will. And by the time they realise it, it will be too late. 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, if Trump wins we will  definitely see “unconventional methods” all over the place, but maybe that won’t play out the way many of his supporters think it will. And by the time they realise it, it will be too late. 

Yup. And hopefully in that worse case scenario I can tell them "I told you so" from the safety of Canada.

51 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My Dad and other former Trump supporters will not support him again… is he getting new supporters to replace those he’s lost?  

No, they say they won't. They probably still will.

12 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

at the very least would see herself as a public servant.

You're joking surely. Show any evidence that Haley has ever seen herself as serving anyone but herself and the 1%, or acted in service to anyone but her utterly class based ideals that includes cutting off immigration to this country -- despite her own family having done so. But then again, her family was wealthy and of the good classes before they ever got here.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He increased his vote total between 2016 and 2020 by a sizable amount and polling suggests some minority groups are warming to him. Combine that with Biden bleeding support a bit and that could be a problem. Plus we have no idea what the economy will look like in 10 months and a bad one will drive people to him. 

I still think Biden should be a slight favorite, but I'm not as bullish as I was in 2020 when I thought he was close to a lock.

Late Night Foresees a Limited Audience for Fourth G.O.P. Debate
Wednesday’s debate will air on platforms like NewsNation and the CW. “So, in other words, look for it wherever you get your computer viruses,” Seth Meyers joked

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/06/arts/television/late-night-republican-debate.html

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is Kevin McCarthy’s seat filpable?  If I recall he’s from Bakersfield which is fairly safe Republican turf in California…

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/06/politics/kevin-mccarthy-resigning?cid=ios_app

No.

California's 20th District has Partisan Lean of R+31 (according to 538)

And per wikipedia the last elections there.

2022 United States House of Representatives elections in California, 20th district[59]

PartyCandidateVotes%

RepublicanKevin McCarthy (incumbent) 153,847 67.2

DemocraticMarisa Wood 74,93432.8

2022 Governor[15] Dahle 69.5 - 30.5%
Senator Meuser 67.7 - 32.3%

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No.

California's 20th District has Partisan Lean of R+31 (according to 538)

And per wikipedia the last elections there.

2022 United States House of Representatives elections in California, 20th district[59]

PartyCandidateVotes%

RepublicanKevin McCarthy (incumbent) 153,847 67.2

DemocraticMarisa Wood 74,93432.8

2022 Governor[15] Dahle 69.5 - 30.5%
Senator Meuser 67.7 - 32.3%

I've never felt more surrounded by white supremacists and rightwing freaks than I did when I visited a friend near Bakersfield in the mid 2000's.  Same area also sent Devin Nunes to Congress.  Amazing Basque-American cuisine, though.  

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

8 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

I've never felt more surrounded by white supremacists and rightwing freaks than I did when I visited a friend near Bakersfield in the mid 2000's.  Same area also sent Devin Nunes to Congress.  Amazing Basque-American cuisine, though.  

I obviously lack your on the ground experience, but was just going by the data to crush Scot's dream (a horse needs hobbies) of flipping that seat. That one looks unflippable in the best of times (electorally), and this is not the best of times.