Football Varararararararararararia Hosannah in Excelsis

BigFatCoward

34 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

He lost his shit over the award of the throw. He then lost his shit again over getting a yellow. That's twice. He's a grown man, I don't feel like he needs an allowance to have a tantrum.

Yeah, nah. Dissent rules are for getting in the referee's face or other OTT aggressive bullshit, not for waving his hands about from 30 yards then chunnering away as he turned away. If you kept to those standards at all times no-one would ever finish a game, because you get frustrated in situations, you just do. 

I mean, if he'd actually had a tantrum you'd have a point. But he didn't. 

Like I say, one yellow is fair enough, but a red card for that reaction is ludicrous. 

Edited by polishgenius

14 hours ago, Rorshach said:

I think it would be hard to enforce those yellows, but Oliver has set a bar for himself - now I think he actually has to stay with it. 

If he doesn't follow this up, the desicion will look absolutely ridiculous. 

Highly unlikely. If he was drawing a line in this game then Nunez would've been sent off in the first half. What he did was worse than Dalot.

As as said, I don't have much of an issue with Dalot being sent off but I can see how others might. In the overwhelming majority of cases, a player would only get one yellow card for doing that and I don't see that changing even though I think that referees and the FA should be very harsh when it comes to dissent and crowding referees. Dalot was just really unlucky.

16 hours ago, polishgenius said:

He got carded twice for the same rant. Like the first yellow is fair but you've got to give him a second to actually respond to it and calm down. It was what, five seconds? When you add that as far as I could tell he was complaining about a decision that should have gone his way it becomes ludicrous. 

Had to miss yesterday's game so I'm not talking about this particular incident but in general. The point of the yellow card is to communicate to the player in no uncertain terms that his behaviour is unacceptable. It should stop player in his tracks immediately. If I was the ref and the player continues being disrespectful for five seconds after being booked I'd book him again and not think twice about it.

16 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, nah. Dissent rules are for getting in the referee's face or other OTT aggressive bullshit, not for waving his hands about from 30 yards then chunnering away as he turned away. If you kept to those standards at all times no-one would ever finish a game, because you get frustrated in situations, you just do. 

No, dissent rules are not for aggressive bullshit only. Dissent does not have to be aggressive, it can be disrespectful and that's just as bad. Every time a player dismisses ref's call in a disrespectful way, they should be at least talked to and preferably booked. I would really like to see football players behaving properly and if the cost is no one finishing a game for a while I'd say it's a bargain.

17 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Champions League draw:

Porto vs. Arsenal

Napoli vs. Barca

PSG vs. Real Sociedad

Inter vs. Atleti

PSV vs. Dortmund

Lazio vs. Bayern

Copenhagen vs. Man City

RB Leipzig vs. Real Madrid

pointless to think about, but i'd have fancied our chances v Real Sociedad if we had gotten through. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Highly unlikely. If he was drawing a line in this game then Nunez would've been sent off in the first half. What he did was worse than Dalot.

As as said, I don't have much of an issue with Dalot being sent off but I can see how others might. In the overwhelming majority of cases, a player would only get one yellow card for doing that and I don't see that changing even though I think that referees and the FA should be very harsh when it comes to dissent and crowding referees. Dalot was just really unlucky.

I agree re: Nunez, and that's what's bothering about him sending Dalot off.

If it's a one off to somehow show cracking down on dissent, nobody learns anything and no behaviour changes. It serves no purpose, it leaves no mark behind except for United fans remembering Oliver badly. 

That way, you get a lose-lose.

ETA: it's weird, when you think about it, that Nunez (given Dalot was sent off later) actually had three yellow card offenses in one go, but got only one of them. Oliver would have a major problem if he somehow should be made to defend his calls there.

Edited by Rorshach

Nunez has some shocking stats

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

Big chances missed:
1 Haaland - 17
2 Darwin - 15
3 Watkins - 13
4 Nicolas Jackson - 11
5 Hojlund - 9

Haaland has 14 goals, Watkins has 9 goals, Jackson has 7 goals

Darwin has.....4 goals

I still expect him to come good at some point, because all the prerequisites are there. He's got the power, the pace, he's got good technique, he's got good movement and he plays for a team that creates a lot of chances. 

He still has the look of a player not expecting to score, somehow, though. And he's been around for 18 months now, so you'd expect him to start producing.

3 hours ago, Rorshach said:

I still expect him to come good at some point, because all the prerequisites are there. He's got the power, the pace, he's got good technique, he's got good movement and he plays for a team that creates a lot of chances. 

He still has the look of a player not expecting to score, somehow, though. And he's been around for 18 months now, so you'd expect him to start producing.

The problem is that he might be the stupidest footballer in the entire world. 

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not feeling it tonight, Chelsea suck but we really are at our limit now.  

In other news Birmingham under Rooney continue their free fall, they were 5th after Eustace's last match, now 17th. 

There go the ambitions of the last hopeful from that England players generation. I mean Lampard will inevitably get to train Chelsea, when Poch gets sacked to see out the season. But neither Rooney,Lampard, nor Gerrard should be near an EPL appointment.