FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)

Mladen

5 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

is just funny.

Self-indulgent, still. It's a nearly 5 minutes long sequence, and could have been half that easily.

It's a 3.5 hour movie that should have been 3. It felt slow compared to Oppenheimer, which was perfectly edited and just flew right by ... and that with almost all of it just being dialog.

I guess even Scorsese's late, undisciplined epic era will have its fans. The Irishman was just as bad as far as run-time was (but was also a lot less compelling). 

At 3hr 26 mins Killers of the Flower Moon couldve been cut down to about 0 minutes. Its a giant shit stain that i'll never torture myself with viewing again. Same with the Barbie vomit, couldnt finish either movie and the whining campaign over the Barbie snubs is tacky af.

All glory to the Oppenheimer, Best Pic, Best Actor and Supporting Actor to Cillian and Downey imo.

Not certain who deserves Best Actress this year, im just grateful it wont go to that entitled Margo after the Trumpian bawling campaign thats going on over the losing out.

Losers lose deal with it.

5 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Barbie was a fun summer movie, but its stans are so insufferable  and unhinged lately I've gotten sick of it, with all the whining that it got "only 8" nominations (at least two of which undeserved) rather than 10 and acting like it's the pinnacle of feminism.

I admit that BARBIE fans really took hard the fact that the movie didn't get the Best Director and Best Lead Actress nominations, but I could have never imagined that some cultural, political and literary people will be so uninformed about what happened with BARBIE. I also can't believe that the public can't celebrate some important milestones made by these nominations, from Justine Triet being the first French female director to get nominated to outstandingly diverse sets of nominees across acting nominations, with Lily Gladstone being the first Native American actress to be nominated in Best Lead Actress. We also have three movies directed by women in Best Picture, seven of them having women as (one of) producers. While there are a lot to be desired in terms of diversity, one must be weirded out by some truly idiotic posts online, including the insipid Hillary Clinton. 

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Scorsese can't make a tightly edited film to save his life any longer, and if anyone is allowed the self-indulgence it's him, but it's still self-indulgent.

I think the achievement in editing Scorsese's movies is making those 3/4-hour-long motion pictures so flawlessly cohesive and watchable. Editing is not only trimming the extra, it is making the set of moving pictures into a one wholesome story. And that, I feel was done truly beautifully with KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Another surprise was Emily Blunt squeaking in in Oppenheimer. I don't think there was enough meat or challenge to her role. 

Blunt's nomination was the usual "welcome to the club" type of nomination. She did enough for Supporting nomination, despite how by-the-book her nom is. She had that interrogation scene which she nailed. I prefer the work of some other actresses, but her nomination was more of giving her finally what many believed she deserved long time ago. 

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

All glory to the Oppenheimer, Best Pic, Best Actor and Supporting Actor to Cillian and Downey imo.

Not certain who deserves Best Actress this year, im just grateful it wont go to that entitled Margo after the Trumpian bawling campaign thats going on over the losing out.

Downey winning is such a snoozefest. And another bland, by-the-book nomination and probable win. The youngsters really did amazing work - Charles Melton, Dominic Sessa, Paul Mescal and Ben Winshaw. And I would have nominated each and every one of them before Downey, Gosling, probably even Ruffalo and De Niro. Can't talk about Sterling K. Brown as I haven't watched AMERICAN FICTION

Margot never had the chance of winning. That said, I thought she would get the nomination. Not big fan of Annette Bening's NYAD and I feel it is such a wasted nomination which could have been given to Greta Lee.

As for winners, it is between Gladstone and Stone. Gladstone has the narrative, people love her. Stone has one Oscar but her performance in POOR THINGS is simply brilliant. Sandra Huller would be the choice in fairer world, but Academy and foreign performances are not exactly compatible. That said, ANATOMY OF A FALL did great at BAFTA and Oscars, so if Huller gets BAFTA, she could get the chance to fight for Oscars. SAG will probably tell us the winner. 

And I wouldn't blame Margot for this chaos. By her own admission, she is more interested in being a producer and doing some behind-the-scenes movies. She is nominated as producer for BARBIE. Not mentioning she also produced SALTBURN... Both movies did really well with public, so she has a lot to be happy about. This whining is coming from other people, including her costars, who would happily use the controversy to propel their chances at the Oscars. The stupidest one being Simu Liu who had a post describing her work as producer for which she got a nomination. But the guy is as stupid as one can be. 

Speaking of uninformed opinions...

It should be noted that the two out of three top grossing movies of the last year got 21 nominations combined.

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning, the 10th on top grossing list, got 2 Oscar nominations

Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse, Guardians of the Galaxy 3 got one nomination, each.

So basically, 5 out of Top 10 grossing movies of the 2023 are present at the Oscars, two in Best Picture. 

20 minutes ago, Mladen said:

I think the achievement in editing Scorsese's movies is making those 3/4-hour-long motion pictures so flawlessly cohesive and watchable.

Killers mostly coheres but would still be better if it were shorter. But The Irishman... ? 

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

Killers mostly coheres but would still be better if it were shorter. But The Irishman... ? 

Yeah, I really struggled with THE IRISHMAN. I consider it Scorsese's worst movie. I liked KILLERS enough but I prefer Scorsese's work 2010-2016, with SILENCE being my absolute favorite. 

I don't mind long movies but it has to be (I am trying to find the appropriate word so I hope I did it right), fluent.

Edited by Mladen
typos

Just now, Mladen said:

with SILENCE being my absolute favorite. 

Great film, agreed.

I definitely do not mind long movies -- Oppenheimer is 3 hours, but it never felt like it to me, whereas there are stretches of Killers where I can feel the slow turning of the hour hand. Shame. Still a very good film, it's just not perfect.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

At 3hr 26 mins Killers of the Flower Moon couldve been cut down to about 0 minutes. Its a giant shit stain that i'll never torture myself with viewing again. Same with the Barbie vomit, couldnt finish either movie and the whining campaign over the Barbie snubs is tacky af.

Losers lose deal with it.

coming for Robbie herself is a weird take since she doesn't seem to be overly beat up about this and, to all appearances, whether you think them genuine or not, Co es across as a very nice and likable person. Don't blame her that other people are getting all up in arms about it.

And I say that as someone who agrees with what seems to be the majority opinion on this board, that she wasn't snubbed here (for all that I do think she gave a great performance).

And you call yourself an awards thread. Tsk. 

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/razzie-nominations-2024-chris-evans-jennifer-lopez-1235879949/

Spoiler

2024 RAZZIES:

WORST PICTURE
The Exorcist: Believer
Expend4bles
Meg 2: The Trench
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey

WORST ACTOR
Russell Crowe / The Pope’s Exorcist
Vin Diesel / Fast X
Chris Evans / Ghosted
Jason Statham / Meg 2: The Trench
Jon Voight / Mercy 

WORST ACTRESS
Ana de Armas / Ghosted
Megan Fox / Johnny & Clyde
Salma Hayek  / Magic Mike’s Last Dance
Jennifer Lopez / The Mother
Dame Helen Mirren / Shazam! Fury of the Gods 

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Kim Cattrall / About My Father
Megan Fox / Expend4bles
Bai Ling / Johnny & Clyde
Lucy Liu / Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Mary Stuart Masterson / Five Nights at Freddy’s 

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Michael Douglas / Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Mel Gibson / Confidential Informant
Bill Murray / Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Franco Nero (as “The Pope”) The Pope’s Exorcist
Sylvester Stallone / Expend4ables 

WORST SCREEN COUPLE
Any 2 “Merciless Mercenaries” / Expend4bles
Any 2 Money-Grubbing Investors Who Donated to the $400 Million for Remake Rights to The Exorcist
Ana de Armas & Chris Evans (who flunked Screen Chemistry) / Ghosted
Salma Hayek & Channing Tatum / Magic Mike’s Last Dance
Pooh & Piglet as Blood-Thirsty Slasher/Killers(!) in Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey 

WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Expend4bles
Indiana Jones and The Dial of…Still Beating a Dead Horse

WORST DIRECTOR
Rhys Frake-Waterfield / Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
David Gordon Green / The Exorcist: Believer
Peyton Reed / Ant Man & the Wasp: Quantumania
Scott Waugh / Expend4bles
Ben Wheatley / Meg 2: The Trench 

WORST SCREENPLAY
Expend4bles
Indiana Jones and the Dial of…Can I go home now?
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Winnie the Pooh: Blood & Honey

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

*applauds*

You know, I think it's a little unfair. I saw dial of destiny and I thought it was fine. Definitely not worthy of the hate it gets.

I get that the Razzies are supposed to be tongue-in-cheek but, to paraphrase Al Franken, "It's kidding on the square." Good films don't get razzie noms. I don't think Indy 5 belongs on those lists. 

But yeah, it would have been nice if it came out 10 years ago. 

11 hours ago, HexMachina said:

coming for Robbie herself is a weird take since she doesn't seem to be overly beat up about this and, to all appearances, whether you think them genuine or not, Co es across as a very nice and likable person. Don't blame her that other people are getting all up in arms about it.

I did enjoy her work as Sharon Tate and im sure she'll be in something wonderful in the future, she puts the A in A-List at this point. That said i'm solidly on the anti-Barbie bandwagon.

I shall rewatch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as pentance for being unjustly harsh on Margot.

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

And you call yourself an awards thread. Tsk. 

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/razzie-nominations-2024-chris-evans-jennifer-lopez-1235879949/

Reveal hidden contents

2024 RAZZIES:

WORST PICTURE
Expend4bles
Meg 2: The Trench
Shazam! Fury of the Gods

WORST ACTOR
Russell Crowe / The Pope’s Exorcist
Vin Diesel / Fast X
Chris Evans / Ghosted
Jason Statham / Meg 2: The Trench
Jon Voight / Mercy 

WORST ACTRESS
Ana de Armas / Ghosted
Megan Fox / Johnny & Clyde
Salma Hayek  / Magic Mike’s Last Dance
Jennifer Lopez / The Mother
Dame Helen Mirren / Shazam! Fury of the Gods 

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Kim Cattrall / About My Father
Megan Fox / Expend4bles
Bai Ling / Johnny & Clyde
Lucy Liu / Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Mary Stuart Masterson / Five Nights at Freddy’s 

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Michael Douglas / Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Mel Gibson / Confidential Informant
Bill Murray / Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Franco Nero (as “The Pope”) The Pope’s Exorcist
Sylvester Stallone / Expend4ables 

WORST SCREEN COUPLE
Any 2 “Merciless Mercenaries” / Expend4bles
Any 2 Money-Grubbing Investors Who Donated to the $400 Million for Remake Rights to The Exorcist
Ana de Armas & Chris Evans (who flunked Screen Chemistry) / Ghosted
Salma Hayek & Channing Tatum / Magic Mike’s Last Dance
Pooh & Piglet as Blood-Thirsty Slasher/Killers(!) in Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey 

WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Expend4bles
Indiana Jones and The Dial of…Still Beating a Dead Horse

WORST DIRECTOR
Rhys Frake-Waterfield / Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
David Gordon Green / The Exorcist: Believer
Peyton Reed / Ant Man & the Wasp: Quantumania
Scott Waugh / Expend4bles
Ben Wheatley / Meg 2: The Trench 

WORST SCREENPLAY
Expend4bles
Indiana Jones and the Dial of…Can I go home now?
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Winnie the Pooh: Blood & Honey

I loves me some Bai Ling, she's the bestest evers!!

The fact that Barbie got snubbed for best director and best actress is kind of ironic. I mean, this was the exact kind of thing the film was complaining about.

I'll say that even though Killers of the Flower Moon was super long, I didn't find myself getting bored at any point, although it would've been painful to see in cinema. I prefer The Irishman though.

Oppenheimer seems so far and above the obvious winner that I'm sure the Academy is going to snub it and give the award to some random "meh" flick, like when Crash (vomit) won over Brokeback Mountain, and Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan.

17 minutes ago, Darryk said:

The fact that Barbie got snubbed for best director and best actress is kind of ironic

I think it would be more ironic if they got nominations for awards they didn't earn and didn't deserve, which would suggest we are all walking around in Barbieland with a bunch of people given arbitrary titles that are essentially meaningless.

45 minutes ago, Darryk said:

The fact that Barbie got snubbed for best director and best actress is kind of ironic. I mean, this was the exact kind of thing the film was complaining about.

I need more explanation here... 

First, people need to understand that Robbie got a nomination as producer in Best Picture, Gerwig got the nomination in Best Adapted Screenplay. So, both women were actually nominated for the work on BARBIE. And if you ask anyone, point blank, which of those two deserved more... Gerwig deserved more recognition as the writer than the director and Margot deserved more recognition as producer than actress.

Now, let's dissect both of those categories. To be nominated, Margot would need to push one woman out .Which one? All four were superior than Margot in every conceivable way. Then, we can also mention Greta Lee, Teyana Taylor, Natalie Portman, Fantasia Barrino... It would be even difficult to argue that Margot was better than them. 

As for Gerwig... Again, Justin Triet did spectacular job with ANATOMY OF A FALL (in case people forget, the first French female director nominated for Oscar, not mentioning that she was snubbed by her own country's Oscar committee). Lanthimos and Glazer did incredible work with their movies and Nolan and Scorsese are simply undeniable. Academy didn't nominate Cooper or Alexander Payne or someone else  whose work may be seen as inferior. They nominated five absolutely brilliant directors, one of which is a woman. A woman who, in all honesty, should be celebrated. 

You see, these champions of women don't speak about Celine Song and Greta Lee. They don't care about first Native American being nominated in Best Actress. Or French female director who was snubbed by her own country making history. The argumentation of BARBIE being snubbed is ignoring the entire ecosystem of movies it exists in and solely focus on how two women didn't get extra nominations for which, in all honesty, they are barely deserving. 

The 2024 American Cinema Editors (ACE) Eddie Awards Nominations

Spoiler

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (Drama, Theatrical)

• Anatomy of a Fall – Laurent Sénéchal
  • Killers of the Flower Moon – Thelma Schoonmaker, ACE
  • Maestro – Michelle Tesoro, ACE
  • Oppenheimer – Jennifer Lame, ACE
  • Past Lives – Keith Fraase

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (Comedy, Theatrical)

• Air – William Goldenberg, ACE
  • American Fiction – Hilda Rasula, ACE
  • Barbie – Nick Houy, ACE
  • The Holdovers – Kevin Tent, ACE
  • Poor Things – Yorgos Mavropsaridis, ACE

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

• Elemental – Stephen Schaffer, ACE
  • Nimona – Randy Trager, ACE & Erin Crackel
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse – Michael Andrews, ACE
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie – Eric Osmond
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem – Greg Levitan, ACE

BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (Theatrical)

• 20 Days in Mariupol – Michelle Mizner
  • American Symphony – Sammy Dane, Matthew Heineman, Jim Hession & Fernando Villegas
  • Joan Baez I Am a Noise – Maeve O’Boyle
  • Little Richard: I Am Everything – Nyneve Minnear & Jake Hostetter
  • Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie – Michael Harte, ACE

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I think it would be more ironic if they got nominations for awards they didn't earn and didn't deserve, which would suggest we are all walking around in Barbieland with a bunch of people given arbitrary titles that are essentially meaningless.

I agree totally but you know what the Twitters are gonna say

On 1/24/2024 at 3:04 PM, Mladen said:

with Lily Gladstone being the first Native American actress to be nominated in Best Lead Actress.

For as gut wrenching as I found watching the innocent killings of so many of the Osage, her performance was so haunting, just the empty stare, she conveyed a 1000 words with just a look on the face. It was impressive, memorable and worthy of award.

Hated where the movie took me (Spotlight invoked a similar reaction from me), but her performance is undeniably powerful, at least to me it was.

I hope she wins.