UK Politics: Rwanda Rehash

Maltaran

'Lioness' and 'Suffragette' are both bad names because they just both sound really stupid to say. 'Gotta take the Lioness three stops' 'Running to catch the Suffragette' yeah okay. 

Should have called it the Pankhurst line if honouring suffragettes was what they were about. 

'Weaver' runs into the same issue technically but it doesn't sound quite as dumb. 

Windrush and Mildmay are good though. Liberty is just the most boring name they could have possibly chosen. 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

Following this logic no female athlete should ever be recognised, as compared to men they are pretty dogshite at all sports. 

Not really. Women’s tennis is highly skilled and its own game. The main differences between the two games is mainly physical. 

Womens football is inferior to men’s on basically every single metric. It ranges from poor to just embarrassing a lot of the time. The general quality level is very low. 

And that is ok, don’t have a problem with women’s football. What is annoying is this bizarre attempt by some people to pretend it’s on same level as men’s football, when the reality is it’s not even close, and this patronising way of speaking about it, looking away when the most basic mistakes happen over and over again, or treating just passing a ball like it’s world class. 

Joey Barton is a nob, and I don’t agree with his point about female commentators purely on the basis that being good at football doesn’t make you good at talking about it. He’s not wrong when he says winning the women’s FA cup is not a quality achievement like winning the men’s though. 

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

'Lioness' and 'Suffragette' are both bad names because they just both sound really stupid to say. 'Gotta take the Lioness three stops' 'Running to catch the Suffragette' yeah okay. 

Should have called it the Pankhurst line if honouring suffragettes was what they were about. 

'Weaver' runs into the same issue technically but it doesn't sound quite as dumb. 

Windrush and Mildmay are good though. Liberty is just the most boring name they could have possibly chosen. 

Tube lines are generally just given these sort of neutral, boring, meaningless names, after a location or a queen or something.

Khan suddenly decided that they needed to be a series of political buzzwords, whether they sounded good or not. I agree Windrush and Mildway sound fine, but Lionesses is maybe the dumbest of the lot.

Surprised nobody said ‘maaaaate’ to him when he put these forward. He really is the king of bad ideas.

43 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

And that is ok, don’t have a problem with women’s football. What is annoying is this bizarre attempt by some people to pretend it’s on same level as men’s football, when the reality is it’s not even close, and this patronising way of speaking about it, looking away when the most basic mistakes happen over and over again, or treating just passing a ball like it’s world class. 

I've never heard anybody ever make that argument. 

54 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What is annoying is this bizarre attempt by some people to pretend it’s on same level as men’s football, when the reality is it’s not even close

You want to talk about reality? 

Because nobody, literally nobody, is saying that women's football is on the same level as the men's game. Not one person on westeros.org is saying this. Nor on the BBC. Nor anywhere else in the world of football. So simmer down, maaaaaaate. 

Unfortunately, what we do have is plenty of people like you and Joey Barton, desperately flailing at all things progressive, in this instance pissing all over what is essentially a developing sport, one in which our women do better at than our men, btw. 

Pathetic. 

Edited by Spockydog

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've never heard anybody ever make that argument. 

It’s implicit is almost all conversations and the way women’s football is talked about. For instance putting female pundits on to talk about the men’s game, when the usual pundit is a male player who has played at the top level ( or Troy deeney) is making the implicit suggestion that the quality level is comparable. When the women won a tournament there were comparisons to the men’s game as if they were equal ( no more years of hurt). 

Even this nonsense about a tube line, where is the 1966 tube line? 

I get there is this attempt to big up women’s football and improve its status, but this denying reality approach is just eye rolling. 

It's also worth noting a lot of developed countries haven't spent generations fostering women's sports. Only a few have across multiple sports and some have focused on just a couple. Now more places are, but you shouldn't be shocked when one that has a 50 year program beats the shit out of that has an underfunded 10 year one. 

Women should not allowed be to commentate on the men's game.

Dude.  Seriously. Step back. Take a look at how stupid that sounds.

I would rather listen to Robyn Cowyn in the co-comms chair than any number of the usual fucking Jurassic suspects. Go for a pint and talk football with Chris Sutton or Robbie Savage? I'd rather set fire to my fucking scrotum.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Women should not allowed be to commentate on the men's game.

Dude.  Seriously. Step back. Take a look at how stupid that sounds.

I would rather listen to Robyn Cowyn in the co-comms chair than any number of the usual fucking Jurassic suspects. Go for a pint and talk football with Chris Sutton or Robbie Savage? I'd rather set fire to my fucking scrotum.

Again, I’m all for meritocracy in football punditry. There are a load of shit male pundits too. I would pick people based on them being good at the job, not whether they used to be a football pro. I’d get more journalists and people off podcasts to talk if it were me.

But if you want to continue this policy of hiring ex players based on what they’ve won, then you are making a statement by putting female pundits next to them. Pointing out a female player won 4 FA cups is basically meaningless when it comes to a men’s game, yet it’s what the BBC will highlight.

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Also, great players/athletes absolutely doesn’t necessarily translate as great commentators. 

They typically make awful coaches as well. It's the ones that had to crawl and overwork and typically failed that are better at these parts of the game. 

Jordan was a terrible owner. Bonds once was asked by a teammate when he was in a slump what to do and he just said hit the fucking ball. I doubt Messi would be all that special on the mic or as a coach. Maradona wasn't. The grinders are the ones you typically want doing these kinds of jobs because they had to overwork to get where they were, and women working in men's sports have to do that to an insane degree. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

Alan Shearer is one of the worst pundits. He's been doing it for years, and is still shit at it. 

Colin Robinson has basically cheesed his way to hundreds of thousands of pounds of licence fee money. 

Edited by Spockydog

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Geez, @Spockydog, do you scream at kids to get off your lawn?

I get the feeling you’re under a lot of stress. Take some deep breaths!

Erm, I'm fine.

Please don't be alarmed by my colourful, working-class vernacular. No stress here. Things are going pretty peachy really.

On Tuesday I was advised by my big city IP consultancy to revise my company's value upwards for our upcoming equity-crowdfunding campaign. By a factor of ten.

I am working on some nice partnerships, and I've been invited to a bunch of really cool events by some really interesting people. I'm being flown, all expenses paid, to Bologna next week.

Edited by Spockydog

36 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Erm, I'm fine.

Please don't be alarmed by my colourful, working-class vernacular. No stress here. Things are going pretty peachy really.

On Tuesday I was advised by my big city IP consultancy to revise my company's value upwards for our upcoming equity-crowdfunding campaign. By a factor of ten.

I am working on some nice partnerships, and I've been invited to a bunch of really cool events by some really interesting people. I'm being flown, all expenses paid, to Bologna next week.

Tywins 1% is looking better by the day.