International events

3CityApache

2 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

Son, are you saying that the heads of the United States government are involved in a slavery industry? 

Well, Sarah Huckabee Sanders did sign a law legalising child labour, something that is considered enslavement, so there’s room for the argument to be made. Don’t you think that all the dark money influencing politics (worldwide, not just in the US) benefit very disgusting policies and even illegal practices? 

12 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And I wonder what those people do for a living. Most of them, absolutely nothing. Except telling schmucks like Trump and Biden what they are and aren't allowed to legislate on. 

That is cynical in the extreme and undercuts the very concept of Representative Democracy.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, Sarah Huckabee Sanders did sign a law legalising child labour, something that is considered enslavement, so there’s room for the argument to be made. Don’t you think that all the dark money influencing politics (worldwide, not just in the US) benefit very disgusting policies and even illegal practices? 

It’s disgusting… but it isn’t slavery.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That is cynical in the extreme and undercut the very concept of Representative Democracy.

I'm not gonna go all-in on 'slavery in modern America is comparable slavery in modern Yemen' (I don't know enough about Yemen to do that, for starters), but come on- everyone should be extremely cynical of the US as a true representative democracy. Like surely the idea that lobby groups and donors and etc have outsize influence is not controversial?

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I haven’t heard any elected leaders saying they want slavery to be legal or tolerated.

Actually, it has been floated among the xtian fascists craziest of the congress and those same running for office, that slavery wasn't that bad, and it could be a good thing.  Sometimes my friend, you seem to be out of the news loops.

Very few have been even fined for child labor, which is rife, very few have been arrested, indicted and tried for sex trafficking slavery -- which is the most common current slavery, involving millions of women and children mostly -- and etc.

Shyte, this nation's elite and powerful don't even want unions, generally.  Thank goodness though, our current POTUS, is all in with unions.

Even though he's not right about other issues that matter -- he is right and trying to do right about others that do, which alone makes him very different from many, if not most, and certainly all of the trumpistas.

IOW, calling him a slaver is not right.  He may be legitimately criticized for a great deal, but he, himself, is not a slaver or in favor of it.

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You are correct and that is fucking evil and should end.  

As to your attempt to distract from Houthi being slavers… why?  Seriously, why attempt to offer any kind of Justification for that.  Look, the US randomly bombing Yemen isn’t okay.  The Houthi targeting merchant shipping also isn’t okay.

Therefore, despite the prior US actions, I see the use of force to attempt to stop Houthi attacks on merchant shipping as justified.

Scot, my original point was essentially based around my frustration over the fact that the same people who are shouting oh so loudly from the rooftops about Israel and Palestinian, about the suffering of Jewish and Arab families, have said absolutely nothing over the past ten years to advocate for the rights of ordinary Yemeni families to live in peace.

But the moment western trade is threatened, everybody is suddenly an expert on Yemeni pirates and whatnot. Yet these experts are still saying nothing about normal Yemeni families being entirely wiped out by western weapons. 

Fuck. That. Noise. 

Edited by Spockydog

49 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is it wrong to use force to seek to stop the Houthi (who are slavers) from lobbing missiles and attacking merchant ships in the Red Sea?

I dunno about "wrong" but one could argue it's not "right." Especially if the bombings have little impact on Houthi attacks.

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That is cynical in the extreme and undercuts the very concept of Representative Democracy.

Scot, who owns all these slaves, of not the very wealthiest in society?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s disgusting… but it isn’t slavery.

I don’t create/assign these definitions. Apparently a number of organisations do label child labour, especially under certain conditions like slaughterhouses and other types of manufacturing etc, as slavery.

http://www.endslaverynow.org/learn/slavery-today/child-labor#:~:text=According to the ILO's Worst,activities such as drug trafficking.

International Definition

According to the ILO’s Worst Forms of Child Labor Convention, child labor is the enslavement (i.e., sale, trafficking, debt bondage, serfdom, compulsory labor) of anyone under the age of 18. The definition includes the use of children in armed conflict, prostitution and illegal activities such as drug trafficking. Lastly, any work deemed to be harmful to the health, safety or morals of a child is considered to be child labor.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not gonna go all-in on 'slavery in modern America is comparable slavery in modern Yemen' (I don't know enough about Yemen to do that, for starters), but come on- everyone should be extremely cynical of the US as a true representative democracy. Like surely the idea that lobby groups and donors and etc have outsize influence is not controversial?

What options do we have other that attempting to work within the system as it stands… warts and all… to seek change?

A civil war or violent revolution seem like very poor alternatives.

@Zorral

I dropped out of Twitter about two months ago.  It was eating my life in a bad way.

53 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Seems like a pretty radical interpretation of what slavery is. 

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d like to see more than hypothetical speculation behind such a serious allegation.

This is what I said about naivety.

It's not the likes of you and me who own all those slaves, is it?

And if you agree with that point, there is only one way the argument goes. Because it ain't the poor and powerless who own them. 

Edited by Spockydog

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Seems like a pretty radical interpretation of what slavery is. 

Yeah, it does. I suppose certain criteria must apply, like, it’s not all and every instance? 

Just now, Spockydog said:

This is what I said about naivety.

It's not the likes of you and me who owns them, is it?

Spocky,  

I love you man.  I enjoy reading what you post.  However, on this point… I’d still like to see more than hypothetical speculation about slavery being tolerated among the wealthy in the US before I accept that allegation as true.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Spocky,  

I love you man.  I enjoy reading what you post.  However, on this point… I’d still like to see more than hypothetical speculation about slavery being tolerated among the wealthy in the US before I accept that allegation as true.

I love you too, Scot.

But perhaps before I do that, you can tell me which demographic YOU think owns what is probably now around half a million actual human slaves on US soil.

Maybe use history as a clue to the answer.

Just now, Spockydog said:

I love you too, Scot.

But perhaps before I do that, you can tell me which demographic YOU think owns what is probably now around half a million actual human slaves on US soil.

Maybe use history as a clue to the answer.

I see your logic.  I’d like to see the evidence backing it up.

27 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, it does. I suppose certain criteria must apply, like, it’s not all and every instance? 

Yeah, but saying people with shitty jobs are basically slaves is kind of silly. This extreme rhetoric needs to stop.  

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Yeah, but saying people with shitty jobs are basically slaves is kind of silly. This extreme rhetoric needs to stop.  

I don’t disagree, but I do believe that in some instances the label does apply.