Watch, Watched, Watching: It's Award Season

Tywin et al.

Finished Scott Pilgrim Takes Off. Thought it was great fun all-through, really fun jokes, great dynamic animation that captures the verve of O'Malley's original comic. I gather some fans who read everything through a culture wars lens are less enthused, but too bad, so sad, buckos -- I thought it was great. Will Forte puts in a guest appearance towards the end that's perfect.

Watched Heat for a bit, then decided I felt like I should try The Godfather Part II. I stopped after awhile, though, because I didn't understand how Michael could both be in late 1950s Cuba and also be wandering around in a wifebeater in 1910s New York City. And when did he not know how to speak English? He was born in America!

Synecdoche New York was terrific. One that I'd surely have to revisit.

So got 360 films left in my letterboxd watchlist, will try and finish them in 180 to 200 days so I can catch up to the rest of world, you middle aged and senior folks. Last 3 years was 600 knocked off. And I got 12 shows left. 

Books are endless, no way I can start listing down and striking, just rake in as much good ones possible before the inevitable.

Happy new year ahem.

Watched 65 , the dino space movie with Adam Driver. 

Seen super hype for the film, and real hatred on the other end too.

None of which makes sense because it was an incredibly nothing movie. Essentially it’s a very by the numbers sci fi thriller, that clashes lasers with dinosaurs. Should be awesome.

However it does do something I always find intriguing, which is putting a good actor into something kinda shit and see if they can make it good. 

Driver almost manages it. He just has a presence and he used a sort of realistic acting style that didn’t seem to quite fit the ‘starship trooper’ mode of the role, but somehow made it a lot better. Even though he didn’t do much, he was still able to increase the quality of the movie 50%. 

A bit like Idris Elba in that not good Lion movie. 

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

So got 360 films left in my letterboxd watchlist,

You know, reading your post I remembered I have a list somewhere of films that everyone and their pets watched that I didn’t! And I keep telling myself I must get on it but keep forgetting/postponing. Oh well, maybe one day! :D
In my defence, I think many aren’t really very good, just the type of film that everyone has watched so I feel I must, but b/c I don’t have any expectations for so many, I keep putting it off. :dunno:

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

You know, reading your post I remembered I have a list somewhere of films that everyone and their pets watched that I didn’t! And I keep telling myself I must get on it but keep forgetting/postponing. Oh well, maybe one day! :D
In my defence, I think many aren’t really very good, just the type of film that everyone has watched so I feel I must, but b/c I don’t have any expectations for so many, I keep putting it off. :dunno:

Tbh I had a few of my own, just trimmed the list and didn't look back

After sitting through the agonizingly slow FOE on Amazon (ugh, yeah, don't bother. @kissdbyfire Did I warn you in time?), we decided on a completely different type of show and tried out The Brothers Sun. Wow. So fun.

Now, I've only watched 1.5 episodes, but it's such a nice blend of humor, action, and characters. Michelle Yeoh of course shines, but the actors playing her sons do too.

8 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

After sitting through the agonizingly slow FOE on Amazon (ugh, yeah, don't bother. @kissdbyfire Did I warn you in time?), we decided on a completely different type of show and tried out The Brothers Sun. Wow. So fun.

Now, I've only watched 1.5 episodes, but it's such a nice blend of humor, action, and characters. Michelle Yeoh of course shines, but the actors playing her sons do too.

You did! :cheers:

Will stay well away from Foe. Especially now that I’m reaching the conclusion that our taste in film and tv align. I have just started The Brothers Sun last night and so far I’m loving it, lots of fun and yes, Michelle Yeoh is awesome as usual. 

Edited by kissdbyfire

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

You did! :cheers:

Will stay well away from Foe. Especially now that I’m reaching the conclusion that our taste in film and tv align. I have just started The Brothers Sun last night and so far I’m loving it, lots of fun and yes, Michelle Yeoh is awesome as usual. 

We finished The Brothers Sun a day or so ago. Very much enjoyed the ride. Need more fun series with good blend of action and comedy like this and Obliterated. 

Edited by Mexal

I've been watching Season 2 of The Tourist. This is a BBC British show featuring Jamie Dornan, it's a sort of fun adventure about a guy who loses his memory. 

Having watched Dornan in a few things now I think he's actually very good, and should be a bigger star than he is, it's a shame he did 50 shades as it I think it tarnished him a bit. He's much more versatile than the swoony hearthrob lead I think they were trying to push him as, and he has a good level of banterish charisma about him too.

What occurred to me whilst watching The Tourist though, and this is something that has been nagging me for a while, is just how low the quality of a lot of BBC and British TV is right now. A decade or so ago I used to think us Brits made some real quality tv, certainly our comedy was fucking excellent compared to say America. Now though, almost every thing I see from the BBC is pretty far from high level. The Tourist for instance is fine, but it's also very stupid at times, like a lot of the writing hasn't been worked through long enough. Feels like a common complaint with most things I watch, they are sort of ok versions of a genre piece, like they are imitating something that is genuinely good, but not really pushing the boat out or doing anything to a level of excellence.

As for comedy, there is almost nothing that is any good any more. Probably there is a level of risk taking in the UK that is so low that means comedy just can't get put on screen. The only thing I've seen thats even half good is The Detectorists, and that is so utterly inoffensive, that is it's charm. 

Not sure what happened over here to make this the case, maybe the golden age of TV didn't really take hold over here, I suspect money has something to do with it, but we used to be good at working with less. 

Edited by Heartofice

Started my annual rewatch of The Pacific in honor of my leatherneck dad. My daughter and I start each year on his birthday and end each year on the anniversary of his death.   Watching it to dad was the last thing that he and I did together before he died. 

The series isn’t as good as Band of Brothers but it’s remarkable how much detail they work into the backgrounds. It may be better, in this regard, than Bands. 

There's an excellent series on Netflix about the 2022 football world cup, called "Captains of the World".

FIFA made no effort to promote it due to political issues (the management at FIFA changed and the new management wasn't interested in projects the old management was involved in).

Yet despite this, it's in the top 10 shows on Netflix currently.

It includes interviews with captains of a lot of the world cup nations (including Messi), behind the scenes footage, and is extremely well edited and paced, creating a powerful sense of drama as the world cup progresses.

Highly recommended.

On 1/9/2024 at 1:17 PM, Ran said:

Been done better:

I looked this up for fun. At least here you have to pay $20 for it. Tammy and the T-Rex is a better buy.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I looked this up for fun. At least here you have to pay $20 for it. Tammy and the T-Rex is a better buy.

Ah, that sucks. Free here in Sweden (but then, we are the home of Kung Fury):