Watch, Watched, Watching: It's Award Season

Tywin et al.

Zorro is a Spanish action-adventure series produced by Secuoya Studio and starring Miguel Bernardeau. Based on the character created by Johnston McCulley, the series debuted on Prime Video on January 19, 2024 in Latin America and the United States, and will debut on January 25 in Spain, Andorra and Portugal.

Not the Zorro most of us remember. More like the Isabel Allende's 2009 novel, Zorro.

https://www.isabelallende.com/en/book/zorro/summary

The English translation-dubbing from Spanish are horrendous, I warn. There are other jarring problems including  this is the 1830’s so dynamite hadn’t been invented, and gold had not been found in California, California wasn't still a part of not Spain, but was part of Mexico (which took independence in 1821).  But! it is recognized there are Russians, French and others not of Spanish descent present, so that is a positive, and good for plots.

I loved Allende's novel, and feel this production stole from her without credit, but, maybe, not quite.  It's not clear online, but graphic novels and tv were in the works, way back when, I think.

Edited by Zorral

I recently watched Poker Face, which was a lot better than I expected.  I just finished a docuseries on Netflix called Muscles & Mayhem: An Unauthorized Story of American Gladiators.  For me, it was nostalgic fun as American Gladiators was one of my favorite shows back when I was in high school.

5 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I recently watched Poker Face, which was a lot better than I expected.  I just finished a docuseries on Netflix called Muscles & Mayhem: An Unauthorized Story of American Gladiators.  For me, it was nostalgic fun as American Gladiators was one of my favorite shows back when I was in high school.

I just read that the BBC has revived it as Gladiators back in the UK, with apparently positive reviews in the press.

Took my mom and niece to see Wonka

What a piece of chocolate shit. My god, it might've been one of the worst movies I've ever seen... and I've seen Batman v Superman! 

It was terrible. Just terrible.

Mom and niece seemed to like it though, so :dunno:

37 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

Took my mom and niece to see Wonka

What a piece of chocolate shit. My god, it might've been one of the worst movies I've ever seen... and I've seen Batman v Superman! 

It was terrible. Just terrible.

Mom and niece seemed to like it though, so :dunno:

Was it worse than the Depp version? I remember watching it with a few people at the end of a big house party and we all thought it was shit. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Was it worse than the Depp version? I remember watching it with a few people at the end of a big house party and we all thought it was shit. 

So I was like 12 when the Depp one came out, and I actually enjoyed it because I could do a really good Depp Wonka impression that slayed in middle school. 

At least Depp was being weird and memorable, even if the movie was crap. I like to be entertained in the theater. 

Wonka was just baaaaaad. 

The first song was ok. Not good, it was ok. And that's the last good thing I have to say about the film. It looked and sounded like it was generated by AI. Absolutely hideous CGI visual noise, none of the wit or charm of the original; to the point that I wondered if the ChatGPT program that wrote the thing had even studied Wilder's movie. 

I think I saw the love of acting leave Chalemet's eyes as the movie progressed. There were blatant continuity errors that I noticed and by the end it seemed like I could see the director just off screen shrieking "wrap this shit up!"

I had the good fortune to attend a screening of Poor Things yesterday. It's a marvellous film and without a doubt my favourite film to be in contention for the 2023 award season. I am still processing everything I liked about it, but for those of you who have not seen it, you should all do yourself the favour of watching it in theatre as soon as possible.

I could sing the film's praises for several paragraphs, but I think the biggest compliment of all is that it struck me as a wholly original piece of cinema. The basic story has been done before and there are shades of Tim Burton and Wes Anderson in it, but this film manages to blend it all together in ways that excited me about cinema as an art form.

This is not a feeling that I am accustomed to, and I certainly can't think of any other film that managed to hit the same notes for me that came out in 2023. The people who made this together really are at the top of their game. Lanthimos has come a long way from his first film Dog Tooth (which I disliked tremendously, but which I'm willing to give another shot after seeing Poor Things), McNamara is the only recent screenwriter I can think of who has become a brand on its own (between this, The Favourite and the tv-series The Great he has made some of the most original content of the last couple of years) and Emma Stone rightly deserves to win all the acting awards for her turn as Bella.

In fact, Cillian Murphy should praise God above that there are separate acting categories for male and female performances, because Emma Stone would have smoked him effortlessly. All the other performances were also incredible. Willem Dafoe was tender and brutish, Ruffalo hilarious and even the bit characters were memorable. 

I also adored the aesthetic of this film. The score, the cinematography (I'm not familiar with Robbie Ryan's other work, but he definitely merits attention), set dressing and costumes were not only brilliant in their own right, they also seamlessly blended together in a self-reinforcing whole.   

This is what cinema is all about!

Saw an episode of "The Curse" and it looks terrific. It's a dark comedy and a trainwreck. Benny Safdie is really excellent as this very cynical producer that works with the main character couple.

Edited by Martell Spy

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is there a better bad speech in the history of cinema? 

Blaspheme!!!

What immediately comes to mind is the LOTR speeches - particularly the ones that weren't in the books.  IIRC, in the DVD commentary it was clear Philippa Boyens wrote Sam's "shine out the clearer" speech at the end of Two Towers.  That one was actually pretty good.  Then there was Aragorn's "Men of the West!!!" speech at the Black Gate at the end of ROTK.  That one..aligns more closely with Pullman's speech.

Started watching John Wick 4 for some reason, stopped not long into it because I realized I just didn't care about all the nonsense. So instead, due to a passing reference from my father while talking to him, I decided to try The Equalizer, which I'd never seen before. It, too, is nonsense, but in more a grounded thriller mode than whatever the Wick series has become, and so that was pretty fun. Marton Csokas was good as the main heavy, though I thought the end was weirdly anticlimactic, as McCall (Denzel's characer) seemed like he wasn't ever really in a jam except once. Fun if fairly basic flick. Denzel's a more credible badass in this film than Neeson has been in any of the Taken films, but I wonder how he holds up by The Equalizer 3.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Started watching John Wick 4 for some reason, stopped not long into it because I realized I just didn't care about all the nonsense. So instead, due to a passing reference from my father while talking to him, I decided to try The Equalizer, which I'd never seen before. It, too, is nonsense, but in more a grounded thriller mode than whatever the Wick series has become, and so that was pretty fun. Marton Csokas was good as the main heavy, though I thought the end was weirdly anticlimactic, as McCall (Denzel's characer) seemed like he wasn't ever really in a jam except once. Fun if fairly basic flick. Denzel's a more credible badass in this film than Neeson has been in any of the Taken films, but I wonder how he holds up by The Equalizer 3.

Part 3 was bad, just bad. And I like big dumb shoot em up popcorn movies. 

Finished Reacher S2 and yeah it was a little much even for what it is. 

Spoiler

The whole hanging onto the stretcher with her on it with one hand while being beaten was just too much.  Then they go to a diner directly after? All but Neely has either a stab wound or has been shot and no one seeks medical attn? At least wash the blood off of your faces.

Also, looking back at S1 Reacher when he shoots the two South American killers in the back, because when you get the chance you take it, the bad guys never seem to do this to him! Plenty of times when they have Reacher in their sights and talk to him instead!!!

That said I will be watching S3 no question. If it goes back to having less of a team and more of the one man army I think it will be better.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Watched it not long ago. I remember very little about any of the series except that the action choreography while frenetic has no economy of motion or energy.

Clearly no one in universe has heard the shooter mantra that slow is smooth and smooth is fast. 

44 minutes ago, hauberk said:

Watched it not long ago. I remember very little about any of the series except that the action choreography while frenetic has no economy of motion or energy.

Clearly no one in universe has heard the shooter mantra that slow is smooth and smooth is fast. 

What did you think of the 

Spoiler

Shot gun battle scene? I really liked the way it was filmed. Felt like watching a video game almost.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Part 3 was bad, just bad. And I like big dumb shoot em up popcorn movies. 

The franchise is just like the Matrix movies. Idk why people like the sequels. 

28 minutes ago, dbunting said:

What did you think of the 

Hide contents

Shot gun battle scene? I really liked the way it was filmed. Felt like watching a video game almost.

Honestly, I vaguely remember a shotgun, maybe in Tokyo?  The whole scene with the heavies with plot unarmor?

Long pending

Cape Fear The King Of Comedy Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon 

Bobby and Al do kinda sorta look alike at times as someone was saying here recently 

But these two huh, absolute powerhouses. Magnifico

Edited by TheLastWolf

1 hour ago, hauberk said:

Honestly, I vaguely remember a shotgun, maybe in Tokyo?  The whole scene with the heavies with plot unarmor?

Shoot out scene (shocker!) and the view is from above as he goes room to room with a shot gun.