NFL Playoffs 2024: How The Hell Are The Lions In The Final Four??? Inconceivable!

Well, they run very well and Goff makes minimal mistakes. The def will be the issue, and the draft is how they made the final 4!

I hope they revisit the draft before the game. Show clips of all the experts who mocked Detroit for taking the players they took in rounds 1-2. 

Gibbs, explosive runner and catcher. I desperately wanted him in Dallas before the draft. Told my Lions obsessed co-workers about him before the draft and they ended up with him, bastards.

Campbell, rotating in the game and will be starting next year, makes sound plays every week.

LaPorta, best rookie season ever for a TE

Branch, playmaker on defense, solid against the run, lost middle of season for an injury but his talent still shows weekly.

"Who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway!?!?!"

KC-Buffalo and GB-SF have been the games of the (fairly dull) playoffs thus far.  Hopefully we get a couple more bangers in the final two rounds. 

KC is giving me real B&B Patriots kinda vibes, in that there were stretches in the regular season where they looked really flawed and beatable, and then the playoffs start and suddenly they are a really tough out.  This is probably the best defense Mahomes has ever had, and if they have only the normal amount of drops (like last night) then the offense is tough to stop.  Particularly with Mahomes more willing to run in the playoffs.  The big question for me is how much of this is just Miami and Buffalo being injured on defense and thus having to play super vanilla, passive looks.  Neither team could get even a whiff of pressure without blitzing and that the formula to lose against basically any decent QB.   

Baltimore is a much more complete team.  They led the league in sacks this year, and they aren't particularly blitz happy.  They actually didn't register a sack on Stroud, but nonetheless pressured him a fair amount.  The Texans scored only 3 offensive points, so it's safe to say their defensive game plan worked, regardless of the number of sacks.  If we are going on the rule of "what you see in the regular season is what you get in the postseason" then the Ravens should absolutely win next week.  But...KC might be better than their regular season selves.  I favor the Ravens, but I don't feel really good about it right now. 

Im stcking with Lamar, impressive as Mahomes career has been, I still gotta pick Baltimore to advance, it just feels like thier destined this year.

NFC I will have to be in the minority and stay on my Lions bandwagon, definitely a ride or die mojo for that pick, I realize the 49ers are stacked with more talent.

Its all house money for me I went 8-2 on my previous picks, so yeah let it ride at this point.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Branch, playmaker on defense, solid against the run, lost middle of season for an injury but his talent still shows weekly.

"Who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway!?!?!"

Yeah its gonna come down to if that D can hold em to FG's or less in the Red Zone. Theyve been burned on big plays where the cover guys cant keep up, but on the short field guys like Gardner Johnson, Melifonwu and Hutchenson have been very adroit at stepping up and making big stops

If it all ends after the next game I will still be tickled to have had the funnest season since Barry.

No regrets, were just happy to even be here!

I will also say drunk Jason Kelce enjoying the Bills-Chiefs game and (repeatedly) wading into the crowd, taking photos, and having a great time is really heartwarming.  It's nice to see when sports can bring people together. 

8 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Im stcking with Lamar, impressive as Mahomes career has been, I still gotta pick Baltimore to advance, it just feels like thier destined this year.

I agree that on paper, the Ravens are the better, more complete team.  It is entirely possible that the Ravens defense makes KC look very ordinary and Baltimore wins comfortably.  But...I am definitely nervous if I'm a Ravens fan because this team is playing the best football it has all year, and they have the championship pedigree that the Ravens do not (save Tucker and Harbaugh I suppose).

Baltimore I'm very confident in saying will win. They have something that apparently only the 85 Bears had previously - the top scoring defense and an offense that scores 24+ points a game. They're at home, they're playing well, and while KC has a better defense their offense is still not up to absurd power like they were before. I do think it's going to be a closer game than Baltimore saw with Houston but I think Baltimore wins by a TD. 

49ers and Detroit I'm much less sure about. I think that the 49ers should win it and have the ability to win it, but they have a big consistency issue with Purdy that I don't know that they can solve easily. Detroit is probably not incredibly well-suited to exploit that, but it's possible they can. 

I was talking today at my office and kind of came to a realization about SF’s season.

We started hot all the way through the Dallas game and peaked.  Then we lost three in a row.

Then we started winning and building to another peak against Philly.  Then sort of just fizzled out with the Ravens loss followed by weak wins against Arizona and Wash before losing to the Rams.

So my hope is that we are now building towards a peak on Feb 11.

The Niners season can rather easily be informed by the bye week, as well as key injuries to Trent and Deebo in the weeks immediately beforehand.  I would not agree that Purdy is "inconsistent," he just clearly does not play well in the rain.  So..that's something to check on Sunday.

The more frustrating aspect is Shanahan - for all his deified genius - seems incredibly unprepared to alter his playcalling if Deebo goes down (which should be a standard expectation considering his history and style of play).  Hopefully with the eight days he can actually prepare for that - whether Deebo is available or not.  (Not going to pretend I'm not frantically checking the internet for updates on his status every waking moment.  Kinda wanted to interrupt one of my classes today so I could google it at the time.)

It's frustrating because, even without Deebo, the Niners offense should be able to score lucratively when you still have CMC, Aiyuk, Kittle, and Jennings - who proved his worth on Saturday.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

The Niners season can rather easily be informed by the bye week, as well as key injuries to Trent and Deebo in the weeks immediately beforehand.  I would not agree that Purdy is "inconsistent," he just clearly does not play well in the rain.  So..that's something to check on Sunday.

The more frustrating aspect is Shanahan - for all his deified genius - seems incredibly unprepared to alter his playcalling if Deebo goes down (which should be a standard expectation considering his history and style of play).  Hopefully with the eight days he can actually prepare for that - whether Deebo is available or not.  (Not going to pretend I'm not frantically checking the internet for updates on his status every waking moment.  Kinda wanted to interrupt one of my classes today so I could google it at the time.)

It's frustrating because, even without Deebo, the Niners offense should be able to score lucratively when you still have CMC, Aiyuk, Kittle, and Jennings - who proved his worth on Saturday.

Last I saw, 68 and Sunny for Sunday.  And Deebo doesn’t have a fracture.

So far, so good!

38 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Last I saw, 68 and Sunny for Sunday.  And Deebo doesn’t have a fracture.

So far, so good!

Yep, here's hoping.  I just...this will only make sense to Sarah Connor Chronicles devotees, but the harbinger of doom that is Shirley Manson and John Henry simultaneously saying "We'll See."

3 hours ago, DMC said:

The more frustrating aspect is Shanahan - for all his deified genius - seems incredibly unprepared to alter his playcalling 

In general it seems like he isn't flexible. His plan going into a game is excellent almost every time, but if it isn't working to the naked eye it doesn't seem like he can change things up that much, plus the play style assumes they're either in a close game or ahead. You can win that way, however I wish he was a bit more creative at times when they're struggling. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

In general it seems like he isn't flexible. His plan going into a game is excellent almost every time, but if it isn't working to the naked eye it doesn't seem like he can change things up that much, plus the play style assumes they're either in a close game or ahead. You can win that way, however I wish he was a bit more creative at times when they're struggling. 

Yeah, it's hard to argue that at this point.  Which is quite confounding.  The guy grew up with football.  He grew up with his father winning the last Super Bowl for the Niners 29 years ago.  With a QB (Young) that required adaptability.  Kyle knows more football than everyone reading this put together, but yeah, I just don't get it sometimes.

Like, in their last Super Bowl run, he severely limited Garoppolo's discretion.  Which, well, yeah.  On Saturday he did the opposite - showing confidence in Purdy even though it was clear he didn't have it.  It paid off in the end - and I feel it should be emphasized Purdy showed up when he needed to in spite of what many (including you via emails!) doubted.  But..there's gotta be a middle ground.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, it's hard to argue that at this point.  Which is quite confounding.  The guy grew up with football.  He grew up with his father winning the last Super Bowl for the Niners 29 years ago.  With a QB (Young) that required adaptability.  Kyle knows more football than everyone reading this put together, but yeah, I just don't get it sometimes.

Like, in their last Super Bowl run, he severely limited Garoppolo's discretion.  Which, well, yeah.  On Saturday he did the opposite - showing confidence in Purdy even though it was clear he didn't have it.  It paid off in the end - and I feel it should be emphasized Purdy showed up when he needed to in spite of what many (including you via emails!) doubted.  But..there's gotta be a middle ground.

Agreed, and the thing that confuses me a bit is not trusting Purdy a bit more to go off script. His best skill is reading the field (just like Brady). If he's your guy, live or die with trusting him to do it. 

What Mahomes has accomplished in his first six years is just astonishing.  Six conference championships in six years as a starter?!  I believe that the next best is Tom Brady and Terry Bradshaw with 4 (it's possible that someone else also shares this title, but I'm pretty sure no one has done 5).  But 6 is straight up ridiculous.  He's practically toying with the league, ever since he started. 

17 hours ago, DMC said:

Was that the case (rain) during the three-game stretch where the 49ers lost to Cleveland, Minnesota and Cinci? Because to me if you say that a QBs' highs are 95% completion rate and their lows are 44%, that's a very good indicator that the person may be inconsistent. 

In particular, while I suspect that it might have been raining in Minnesota at that time I also suspect that it did not hamper Purdy that much given that it's indoors, but I could be wrong. 

I'm assuming it was raining when the 49ers played the Ravens but I can't really be bothered to check. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

In particular, while I suspect that it might have been raining in Minnesota at that time I also suspect that it did not hamper Purdy that much given that it's indoors, but I could be wrong. 

Birds were flying into the glass maybe?

Purdy is pretty reliable with a clean pocket or space on rollouts. He's just not a guy you can consistently rely on to make magic happen when shit breaks down. I think he's good enough to win the Owl. The problem comes when he gets paid and starts to lose all his toys.

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Was that the case (rain) during the three-game stretch where the 49ers lost to Cleveland, Minnesota and Cinci? Because to me if you say that a QBs' highs are 95% completion rate and their lows are 44%, that's a very good indicator that the person may be inconsistent. 

I'm assuming it was raining when the 49ers played the Ravens but I can't really be bothered to check. 

There was no rain in SF when the Bengals beat them. Burrow had his best game of the season.