Jump to content

NFL Playoffs 2024: How The Hell Are The Lions In The Final Four??? Inconceivable!


Tywin et al.
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't see any good thing about that trade. At that level just keep him or cut him. Keeping is better anyway - if Caleb Williams doesn't work out you have another option. 

I get that if you know he ain't the answer you should get something but holy hell, something named Sam Howell got more value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I don't know if Howell + 102 and 179 for 78 and 152 is much better value, but yeah.  Just don't pick up his option, see how the season goes, and you'll probably get at least a 4th round comp pick when he signs with someone else next year.  That's the better option.  Seemed like Chicago just wanted to "do right by him," which also means not having a locker room issue.  Same reason the Niners sold low on Lance.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yikes, indeed.  I like how Lance yielded a better pick than Fields.  Also like how Brock Purdy's only competition in both the 2021 and 2022 drafts when it comes to QBs is Trevor Lawrence.

I just don't get what the Bears are doing or how little that's what they could get. Fields was seen as almost as good as Lawrence coming out of HS and he proved in big moments he was talented in college. Then the Bears surrounded him with little talent, a bad offensive line and coaches who didn't seem to know how to use him. If I ran the team I'd have kept him and traded the pick for a massive haul. The team needs a lot of help in general and I'm not sold Williams will come in and fair much better. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I just don't get what the Bears are doing or how little that's what they could get.

:dunno:

I don't really care.  Just glad they're on the Niners schedule this year.  Imagine you should be even more happy in terms of competitive advantage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

:dunno:

I don't really care.  Just glad they're on the Niners schedule this year.  Imagine you should be even more happy in terms of competitive advantage.

I think the Bears will be better than the Vikings. I have no idea why they traded for a second first round pick when the team needs depth. Maybe they can trade JJ and two first rounders to move up really high, but I don't see that going well either. Six wins is where I'd set the over/under for them without checking the schedule. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I have no idea why they traded for a second first round pick when the team needs depth.

Seems designed to trade up to get the fourth quarterback, whomever that may be.  I agree that's stupid, but that's the best explanation I can fathom.  I really don't think they're trading JJ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Seems designed to trade up to get the fourth quarterback, whomever that may be.  I agree that's stupid, but that's the best explanation I can fathom.  I really don't think they're trading JJ.

Idk if they will, but they probably should. I'm still not sold on the new WR pay scale working, especially without a good QB and/or one on a rookie deal. It just seems like a bad use of resources. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Idk if they will, but they probably should. I'm still not sold on the new WR pay scale working, especially without a good QB and/or one on a rookie deal. It just seems like a bad use of resources. 

Cap's going up a lot.  I dunno why you wanna trade away your most impactful player.  Maybe if you guys were squeezed, but checking spotrac, you're not.  Especially considering a ton of dead cap comes off the books after this year.  Don't see why you have a problem giving JJ what he's owed -- even more especially now that you aren't devoting a significant portion of the cap to a QB and likely won't be for awhile whether you like it or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

Cap's going up a lot.  I dunno why you wanna trade away your most impactful player.  Maybe if you guys were squeezed, but checking spotrac, you're not.  Especially considering a ton of dead cap comes off the books after this year.  Don't see why you have a problem giving JJ what he's owed -- even more especially now that you aren't devoting a significant portion of the cap to a QB and likely won't be for awhile whether you like it or not.

Cause the rookie WR is a JJ clone. He might not be as good, but he can still be a top 15ish WR if he's developed correctly. I'd rather spread the money around than invest in one player that if he gets hurt nukes your season especially at that position. Unless I'm missing something most high end WRs don't lead to the ultimate goal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Cause the rookie WR is a JJ clone. He might not be as good, but he can still be a top 15ish WR if he's developed correctly. I'd rather spread the money around than invest in one player that if he gets hurt nukes your season especially at that position. Unless I'm missing something most high end WRs don't lead to the ultimate goal. 

The rookie WR also isn't a sure thing.  Hell, even in that 2020 draft that had JJ, Lamb, Aiyuk, Higgins, and Pittman all drafted in the first 34 picks, the first two WRs drafted were Henry Ruggs and Jerry Jeudy (who I thought was going to be awesome - shows how much I know).  The pick right before JJ?  Jalen Raegor, who I literally had to google.

If you evaluate your entire roster based on cost-effectiveness instead of the on-field value, you're going to have the Oakland A's.  Who haven't won anything other than Brad Pitt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

The rookie WR also isn't a sure thing.  Hell, even in that 2020 draft that had JJ, Lamb, Aiyuk, Higgins, and Pittman all drafted in the first 34 picks, the first two WRs drafted were Henry Ruggs and Jerry Jeudy (who I thought was going to be awesome - shows how much I know).  The pick right before JJ?  Jalen Raegor, who I literally had to google.

If you evaluate your entire roster based on cost-effectiveness instead of the on-field value, you're going to have the Oakland A's.  Who haven't won anything other than Brad Pitt.

Addison had 70 catches for nearly 1,000 yards and 10 TDs while largely playing with back up QBs. I think they hit on that pick. Furthermore, why pay JJ if you have no real plan for QB going forward. Seems like a bad idea, especially if a team will give you two firsts or equal value to that (personally I'd take them and trade back as much as I could to get more darts to throw in rounds 2-4). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Addison had 70 catches for nearly 1,000 yards and 10 TDs while largely playing with back up QBs. I think they hit on that pick

K.  Still no reason to assume you're gonna hit on your next pick.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Seems like a bad idea, especially if a team will give you two firsts or equal value to that

How do you even know any team is offering that?  Seems like you're operating from your own assumptions and going from there instead of reality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

K.  Still no reason to assume you're gonna hit on your next pick.

No, but that's why I advocate for getting as many shots at the top 100 picks as you can.

Quote

How do you even know any team is offering that?  Seems like you're operating from your own assumptions and going from there instead of reality.

I think JJ would fetch more than Hill given his age. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thing I'd say is you know why the Niners are perpetual contenders?  Ultimately it's because of, like, eight players:  Purdy, Trent, CMC, Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, Bosa, and Warner.  And then they build around those players (plus, obviously, both Purdy and CMC are kinda new).  

Other than Purdy, they all have terrible cap hits...until there are restructures of course.  The NFL cap is eminently malleable, so particularly in that way, I don't know what you're worried about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I think the Bears will be better than the Vikings. I have no idea why they traded for a second first round pick when the team needs depth. Maybe they can trade JJ and two first rounders to move up really high, but I don't see that going well either. Six wins is where I'd set the over/under for them without checking the schedule. 

I will take the over if we don’t trade JJ. Our skill positions are some of the best in the league and we were competitive with Mullens throwing 4 interceptions a game, JJ out half the season, and no running back. Obvious question marks about Darnold, but without looking at the schedule, 7 games seems low. 
 

And think about the QBs Oconnel is looking for. He doesn’t know what to do with a guy who relies on his legs, and those guys typically fall in the draft. Getting one at 11 seems reasonable and a good opportunity to sit for a year. I’m not expecting anything huge, but I do think they will be competitive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

I will take the over if we don’t trade JJ. Our skill positions are some of the best in the league and we were competitive with Mullens throwing 4 interceptions a game, JJ out half the season, and no running back. Obvious question marks about Darnold, but without looking at the schedule, 7 games seems low. 
 

And think about the QBs Oconnel is looking for. He doesn’t know what to do with a guy who relies on his legs, and those guys typically fall in the draft. Getting one at 11 seems reasonable and a good opportunity to sit for a year. I’m not expecting anything huge, but I do think they will be competitive 

Obviously we don't know the final roster yet, but TJ probably won't be an impact next year, we still don't really know if the running game can improve, the defense probably overperformed last year and obvious the QB spot is one of the worst in the league. I just don't trust that.

And any QB we get at 11 is risky. I don't follow the college game much, but from what I've heard anyone outside of the two three guys is not ideal for a first round pick and I believe they're all expected to go pretty high. I'd almost prefer they drafted a guy who falls to the third round because what's the worst that could happen?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Obviously we don't know the final roster yet, but TJ probably won't be an impact next year, we still don't really know if the running game can improve, the defense probably overperformed last year and obvious the QB spot is one of the worst in the league. I just don't trust that.

And any QB we get at 11 is risky. I don't follow the college game much, but from what I've heard anyone outside of the two three guys is not ideal for a first round pick and I believe they're all expected to go pretty high. I'd almost prefer they drafted a guy who falls to the third round because what's the worst that could happen?  

You could always trade up and get the next Christian Ponder...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...