NFL Playoffs 2024: How The Hell Are The Lions In The Final Four??? Inconceivable!

Tywin et al.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

You could always trade up and get the next Christian Ponder...

A). Go fuck yourself.

B). At least we didn't do that last year. I can't ever remember the guy's name (Looks it up, Hooker), but the Vikes were linked with a QB in the first round everyone though he was likely a round three guy and lifelong backup (Went in the third). There's nothing wrong with taking a flyer on a QB in the middle of the draft, just don't do it in the middle of the first. It almost always fails.

C). I hope you're saving up to send your kid to UW.

D). Go fuck yourself again. That one is from Jace.

@Rhom - Don't know if you have an Athletic subscription or not (if you don't you should!), but David Lombardi just posted an outstanding article explaining the Niners' current cap situation.

Bottomline - they have about $10 million left to spend right now.  Then, after June 1, they'll get an extra $18 million from the Armstead release that they can use to sign their draft class - which will cost a maximum of about $11 million if they keep all their current picks and they all make the 53-man roster (very unlikely) and bank the rest for in-season trades/rollover for next year.

In other words, they have the opportunity to make one more big splash before the draft.  Looking at you still-available safeties...

There's been a number of Pittsburgh athletes I've done an about face on over the years. Marian Hossa, AB, James Harrison, Matt Niskanen, and others. Once glorified in the black and gold, only to be hated. I'm now putting Ken (ny) Pickett at the top of that list. His moxy was something to admire for a while but eventually you have to throw for 300 yards, or have a 3TD passing game, regardless of how incompetent and unqualified your OC is. We had guys last year like Jake Browning, Nick Mullens and Dinosaur Flacco put up numbers that Ken hasn't come close to sniffing. 

If Ken refused to dress as an emergency QB in the Seahawks game last year then that's an issue. I don't care how annoyed you are with the coaching staff, you have to put the team before yourself. He apparently didn't do that. Fast forward to this offseason and he wants out when we sign Wilson, and says today at his press conference (for a backup QB) that it was time for him to move on from Pittsburgh and go somewhere he could grow his career. I wonder if he felt stupid at all saying that in public knowing that Jalen Hurts is the Eagles QB. The idiot had a chance to compete and start in Pittsburgh and throws a tantrum so he gets dealt to a team that has a QB that almost won a SB and MVP the other year. 

I agree that the franchise let him down with not only hiring Matt Canada, but keeping him around for the next season. There's no argument there. His growth and development took a hit from that. But it's clear that he took everything a little too personally. To the point that once we signed Wilson he used that as a chasm to get out of Pittsburgh and go somewhere else. Like a place that has a franchise QB. Where he'll sit on the bench with a Microsoft Surface glued to his gloved hands. 

The Pitt aroma wore off for me at some point this past season when I came to terms that Pickett should've had an even accidental great game by now. Like a fluke, but he couldn't even accomplish that. Pencil him in for a 17-24, 201 yards, 1 Td and 1 INT. It's not good enough, and he's had enough games, despite the shit OC, to show something. He hasn't done that at all and that's what annoys me the most. Hasn't accomplished shit but makes demands while on his rookie deal. Fuck off, Ken. I'd drive you across the turnpike to Philly if given the opportunity. 

As for Fields, like Wilson, how do you not like it for the price? I hope it works out. 

5 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

There's been a number of Pittsburgh athletes I've done an about face on over the years. Marian Hossa, AB, James Harrison,

Really, I thought he was pretty unfairly maligned and the league used him as a whipping boy because they had to look like they were doing something to combat CTS.

It was easier to pick out a few physical players than do something meaningful for safety like ban the concrete turf that these guys are still getting slammed into weekly.

Fuck Goodell.

12 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Really, I thought he was pretty unfairly maligned and the league used him as a whipping boy because they had to look like they were doing something to combat CTS.

It was easier to pick out a few physical players than do something meaningful for safety like ban the concrete turf that these guys are still getting slammed into weekly.

Fuck Goodell.

Referring to him going to Bengals and Patriots. The hits were awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is an interesting choice between Daniels and Maye at #2.  Daniels is an incredible runner and a fantastic passer out of a clean pocket.  His numbers on deep balls with a clean pocket are just ridiculous (IIRC something like 87% completion rate).  LSU has good receivers, but still, that is ridiculous.  However, his passing stats get a lot worse when he's under pressure, and that isn't usually a good sign for qb prospects.  He is fairly slight by NFL standards, akin to RG3 or Teddy Bridgewater.  And he has so much confidence in his legs that he can be very quick to resort to running, and which exposes him to a lot of hits.  From everything I've seen, the RG3 parallels are pretty ridiculous.  Both might go #2 overall to Washington, and both had a ridiculous WR in college that might be covering up a lot of mistakes (remember Josh Gordon?)

Maye is something of a safer pick, in that he has prototypical size, a great arm, and good athleticism.  Some people have compared him to a slightly less ridiculous Josh Allen.  But with that comparison comes red flags, because Josh Allen was an extremely questionable prospect coming out of college, and took two years to completely reinvent his mechanics to be a good NFL passer.  Maye was much better as a junior (with some NFL talent around him) than his senior year on a UNC squad that was terrible.  He has footwork problems that some scouts say are minor and others say will require a complete rework.  And he also struggles somewhat with handling pressure. 

The good news is that I'm still not really a Washington fan, so it won't bother me nearly as much when whichever one they pick gets ruined.