True Detective: The Night Country is dark and full of terrors!

11 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Let's go folks. Digging this season. The mystery elements and horror I like very much.

WHAT IS THE SPIRAL SHIT??? 

DISCUSS! :D

Didn’t we see that spiral symbolism a few times in the first season with McConaughey and Harrelson?

I was very excited about this, but since then my expectations have been tempered.

The first season in my opinion is about as good as television gets. The succeeding seasons...were not.

Now that Pizzolato is out, I figured that new writers could redeem the series. It has a metacritic score of 81, which is quite good.

But then you read the reviews. One of the reviews that gives it a 100, states in their summary:

The plot is unforgettable, even if the ultimate, gobsmacking denouement may test your credulity.

Sure, I definitely am going to trust you as a critic if a show that apparently devolves into a nonsensical ending gets your highest marks.

Anyway, I find that professional critics are not trustworthy. That crowd seems to preferentially absorb individuals who think they are smarter than reality bears out.

From viewers on imdb and reddit, apparently the production is a bit on the amateur side, with fairly atrocious writing, bad CG effects, and some poor editing.

If I hear things improve, then I may give it a chance since I loved the atmosphere of the first season and it does seem like this season is attempting to replicate it (though again a criticism that seems to be repeated is that this season is overcompensating on the atmosphere of the first, and potentially taking things too far into cheesy horror).

Ok we have Travis Cohle the undead boogeyman who can be concluded to be Rust's father (same first name earlier)

His old girlfriend? Log lady equivalent (twin peaks)?

Way too many spirals, can't ignore em. Victims, sus-perp, crime scenes and mythology. 

Tsalal station funded by TUTTLE united. Diverse interests. I always knew that Sweet Home Alabama (Louisiana but nvm) rednecks ruled half the country.

The mine is sus.

Qavvik the burger guy Ange mercilessly uses, I predict going to get a Jaqen Arya Weese like death by his loving dog. Foreshadowing from the eerie way that scene played out. Remember the mad moose (or elk?) ep1 and the polar bear on the road, credits and the theory that one ran em out of the station and the Foster's kid's toy (what happened to Foster's son anyway). Maybe that's why she is so against the natives ways (laundromat grandma srsly, night nurse insult) and holds to rationalism against the inexplicable mysteries she encounters. Cope on

Car crasher ep1

Hank Prior getting scammed from Russia with love

And the sex scene, not a fan. And why is everyone so horny, not the cold alone srsly, esp the chief phew Jodie Fostest what a long record stop wrecking

The voodoo trailer (named the golden eagle curiously), they haven't mentioned the name of cousin who sold it 7 years back yet. In her notebook, evangeline's. Rust?

The "she is awake" rants refers to Gaia, my theory.

And the research wasnt origin of life as much as getting to that blood orchid like microorganism fossil, stop cell decay fucking immortality....

...CARCOSA, Death isn't the end. May explain the white walker type nude guy surviving 48hrs up there and maybe the so called dead ghosts too. And Annie's tongue.

So the people of Ennis gotten used to these dead visiting...

Just me hoping supernatural gets a scifi rationalizing like environmental horror. There was The Thing DVD and Blood Meridian @Tsalal

Edited by TheLastWolf

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Ok we have Travis Cohle the undead boogeyman who can be concluded to be Rust's father (same first name earlier)

His old girlfriend? Log lady equivalent (twin peaks)?

Way too many spirals, can't ignore em. Victims, sus-perp, crime scenes and mythology. 

Tsalal station funded by TUTTLE united. Diverse interests. I always knew that Sweet Home Alabama (Louisiana but nvm) rednecks ruled half the country.

The mine is sus.

Qavvik the burger guy Ange mercilessly uses, I predict going to get a Jaqen Arya Weese like death by his loving dog. Foreshadowing from the eerie way that scene played out. Remember the mad moose (or elk?) ep1 and the polar bear on the road, credits and the theory that one ran em out of the station and the Foster's kid's toy (what happened to Foster's son anyway). Maybe that's why she is so against the natives ways (laundromat grandma srsly, night nurse insult) and holds to rationalism against the inexplicable mysteries she encounters. Cope on

Car crasher ep1

Hank Prior getting scammed from Russia with love

And the sex scene, not a fan. And why is everyone so horny, not the cold alone srsly, esp the chief phew Jodie Fostest what a long record stop wrecking

The voodoo trailer (named the golden eagle curiously), they haven't mentioned the name of cousin who sold it 7 years back yet. In her notebook, evangeline's. Rust?

The "she is awake" rants refers to Gaia, my theory.

And the research wasnt origin of life as much as getting to that blood orchid like microorganism fossil, stop cell decay fucking immortality....

...CARCOSA, Death isn't the end. May explain the white walker type nude guy surviving 48hrs up there and maybe the so called dead ghosts too. And Annie's tongue.

So the people of Ennis gotten used to these dead visiting...

Just me hoping supernatural gets a scifi rationalizing like environmental horror. There was The Thing DVD and Blood Meridian @Tsalal

You’ve got me interested now…

2 hours ago, IFR said:

The first season in my opinion is about as good as television gets. The succeeding seasons...were not.

S2 suffers from "its not as good as S1" disease, but its not in any way bad. 

I’m enjoying S4 so far and glad that ep2 moved back into some rational investigative process after ep1 was solely supernatural horror.  But I have doubts already whether they can deliver a satisfying resolution after committing so early to the supernatural, especially Travis’ ghost dancing on the ice.

I noted the call-backs to S1: Travis (Rust’s father), Tuttle, the spiral symbol and the hanging occultish Etsy crafts in the camper van.  Did I miss others?

So far S4 reminds me a lot of Fortitude, which was very good.

4 hours ago, Relic said:

S2 suffers from "its not as good as S1" disease, but its not in any way bad. 

I have to agree with Ran on this one.

I marathoned all three seasons. The first season I think I watched in two sittings. I was thoroughly enamored with it. This creeping, oppressive atmosphere of cosmic horror that seemed to permeate everything, without ever going too far into pure horror. And the excellent characters of Rust Cohle and Marty Hart. Separately I don't think they would function well as characters, but together they created this electrifying dynamic. Their interplay, their complementary character arcs...really everything about them drove that season to incredible heights. And, as a fan of Thomas Ligotti's writings, I really appreciated how well his tone was captured in that season.

Season two to me was a complete failure in terms of bringing forth engaging characters. I rather liked the idea of the convoluted conspiracy (very reminiscent of Chinatown, which is a good movie). But I think it fell apart and was kind of a mess, ultimately.

And the dialogue just didn't work for me. I actually laughed at Vince Vaughn making his soliloquies.

I think season two is unequivocally bad.

Season three was better, and even ok. I would say that season is more of a victim of a decent story being overshadowed by season one.

At any rate, since then I've rewarched season one a couple of times. I don't ever plan on rewatching the other seasons.

Edited by IFR

The supernatural element in this season is much more explicit than in season 1.  It was implied… hinted at… via Cohle’s hallucinations and general weirdness… but it was never made absolutely manifest.

It is clearly manifest here.  

I’m very curious to see where this is going.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The supernatural element in this season is much more explicit than in season 1.  It was implied… hinted at… via Cohle’s hallucinations and general weirdness… but it was never made absolutely manifest.

It is clearly manifest here.  

I’m very curious to see where this is going.

I thought they explained it away with HPPD

Foster kind of gives me that same vibe Swank does, no matter the plot I always seem to get sucked in just off her excellent character acting.

I'll be doubtful I'm interested yet always end up engrossed.

Also love the Ennis setting, it's so gritty, it makes one wonder how the hell people even manage living in a place like that?

No glamour, just hard living for sure.

As for the murders, totally over my observations yet where its headed and i'm fine with not knowing ahead.

10 hours ago, IFR said:

I have to agree with Ran on this one.

I marathoned all three seasons. The first season I think I watched in two sittings. I was thoroughly enamored with it. This creeping, oppressive atmosphere of cosmic horror that seemed to permeate everything, without ever going too far into pure horror. And the excellent characters of Rust Cohle and Marty Hart. Separately I don't think they would function well as characters, but together they created this electrifying dynamic. Their interplay, their complementary character arcs...really everything about them drove that season to incredible heights. And, as a fan of Thomas Ligotti's writings, I really appreciated how well his tone was captured in that season.

Season two to me was a complete failure in terms of bringing forth engaging characters. I rather liked the idea of the convoluted conspiracy (very reminiscent of Chinatown, which is a good movie). But I think it fell apart and was kind of a mess, ultimately.

And the dialogue just didn't work for me. I actually laughed at Vince Vaughn making his soliloquies.

I think season two is unequivocally bad.

Season three was better, and even ok. I would say that season is more of a victim of a decent story being overshadowed by season one.

At any rate, since then I've rewarched season one a couple of times. I don't ever plan on rewatching the other seasons.

Personally I prefer season 2 over 3, found it a lot more engaging due to the lead actors.

7 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I thought they explained it away with HPPD

Cohle said as much, but at the same time it's left open that what is clinically described doesn't really capture the impact of the alteration of reality has on a person's psychology. And then there's the Carcosa cult stuff besides.

I'm not sure what to make of this season so far. It's definitely leaning much harder into the supernatural, and for some reason Travis made me think immediately of Bob from Twin Peaks due to the long hair; a critic here for our local paper in Sweden made the same connection, and complained that leaning into the supernatural for a crime story is now feeling old-hat and did not like that aspect of the new True Detective.

As I said, I'm undecided. Curious to see where it'll go. I like Foster, John Hawkes, etc.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Cohle said as much, but at the same time it's left open that what is clinically described doesn't really capture the impact of the alteration of reality has on a person's psychology. And then there's the Carcosa cult stuff besides.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They papered over it via that explanation.  But, particularly the very last hallucination, we’re incredibly vivid and specific to the circumstances.  So… still vague… in my view.

I'd be more open to the supernatural aspect if the first season wasn't so strong in its nihilistic conviction, adherence to a rational outlook and being critical of religion for what it is. Still I'd love me another Twin Peaks any day. Just that True detective is hard to reconcile with that.

And the last vision, sheer beauty, the galaxy thing is my laptop wallpaper for some time (the one preceding that was Durden splicing dickpics and pointing to the corner of the screen). I got rid of all the icons barring the recycle bin which I never use anyway and put it smack in the eye of the spiral. Durden used to point at my sticky notes prior. 

3 hours ago, Ran said:

and for some reason Travis made me think immediately of Bob from Twin Peaks due to the long hair; a critic here for our local paper in Sweden made the same connection,

He struck me more of the evil Cooper doppelganger in his deadpan way but the way he held the grandma-log lady equiv and all, and being Rust's dad, I don't think malevolence. But if they decide to go the way of there being no inherent morals and all (unlikely since Rust in all his rambling glory had a rooted grounded moral compass) who knows...

Edited by TheLastWolf