True Detective: The Night Country is dark and full of terrors!

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

I'd be more open to the supernatural aspect if the first season wasn't so strong in its nihilistic conviction, adherence to a rational outlook and being critical of religion for what it is. Still I'd love me another Twin Peaks any day. Just that True detective is hard to reconcile with that.

Cosmic horror and nihilism go pretty well together. A character advocated rationalism and was deeply pessimistic, but was often irrational himself, and the pessimism was characteristic of his tragic life experiences. His partner expressed opposing views, and these two characters shaped each other.

And while there were intimations of cosmic horror, it was a subtle background atmosphere - there wasn't any direct indication of the supernatural. The narrative was indeed bleak, but I don't see it endorsing either nihilism or pure rationalism, or cosmic horror. To me this was sufficiently ambiguous that it was left for the audience to decide the nature of that particular story.

I do agree that the overall narrative was critical of organizations, including organized religion.

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Turns out they actually film in Iceland, because it’s too difficult to actually go to that latitude in Alaska - no road access.

Someone noticed Foster slipping up and saying Icelandic village in an episode and told me. Didn't revisit to check but, true?

Still better than Starbucks 

Edited by TheLastWolf

I can't read this thread until tomorrow since I only watched Ep 1 so far but I couldn't hold this comment back. Wow that performance by Foster was bad. The scene in the truck when the drunk girl hits the sign. Foster acting like a badass was absolutely laughable and hard to watch. My wife (we watched it different days) said the same thing when we talked about the show last night.

Will watch Ep 2 tonight so I can read this. Hopefully her acting like a badass dies down a bit.

50 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I can't read this thread until tomorrow since I only watched Ep 1 so far but I couldn't hold this comment back. Wow that performance by Foster was bad. The scene in the truck when the drunk girl hits the sign. Foster acting like a badass was absolutely laughable and hard to watch. My wife (we watched it different days) said the same thing when we talked about the show last night.

Will watch Ep 2 tonight so I can read this. Hopefully her acting like a badass dies down a bit.

I read she’s deliberately going for “asshole”.

36 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I read she’s deliberately going for “asshole”.

My read as well. She's an abrasive person, she knows her shit, but I don't think she's a badass.

Just watched first two episodes.  Agree about the Twin Peaks Bob reference.  Pretty on the nose.  

Spoiler

With the reveal about the number of bodies at the rink I'm wondering if Spiral Jacobs led Rose out to the bodies and she assumed/hallucinated it was Travis

Eta: @TheLastWolf I figured the B.M. reference was just about the violence against indigenous / trophy collecting but I'm sure there's more.

Jodie Foster in the trailer.... Strong Silence of the Lamb vibes

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

oranges, in the title sequence, peels too. Ange picks 1 up dropped by the hillbillies (foster uses the same word more than once, thrice. And redneck, srsly writing though) Hank recruits. Then the rest supernatural shit

The wheeler case parallels the marsh "shootout" s1

blue hair dye, anne and ange's sister both

oliver tagaq the hair lady susan used to see the guy hunting elk/moose/reindeer rudolph for all i know in ep1?

and I've had it with the pervading nympho vibe.  Lost tally, like the domestic abuse cases. She's on tinder after she's fucked half the state. Keep up the "empowering" characterisation.

And who doesn't ask to spell Tagaq on the radio, numbnuts that's who

numbo doesnt know mrs robinson!? srsly

she watches netflix

ariana grande

she prays!? Lady, this is the show that gave us fucking Rust Cohle. Now what. join a cult?

And stomping around blasting off is not simply equal to good acting . Neat way to explain off a boston accent. 

ok I didn't ever see the credits for the names only the easter eggs but i know now it's written by a woman, call me sexist or shit but I'm giving up trying to figure shit rationally. Emo shit. Meta moment when Foster copes, telling all is well, there's a reasonable explanation

Like hell there is

Edited by TheLastWolf

damn polar bear son again

and even me in the sweltering tropics knows nobody freezes to death with such an expression on their faces. No need to call the caribou (damn missed that word earlier) expert or shit

edit

just going to ignore the fishing line licking

and the woken female whoever. Exhausted fucks to give. The under 30 guy cracked the phone huh. What a surprise Anne, nothing new though in your video so you can poof off

Edited by TheLastWolf

Thinking I am gonna skip next weeks and then binge two at a time, maybe it will work better for me. Also I clearly should've rewatched S1 because I missed the tie ins. Only watched S1 once and that was as it aired so none of it is fresh to me.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Thinking I am gonna skip next weeks and then binge two at a time, maybe it will work better for me.

I liked the first two episodes well enough. Didn’t looooooove it but liked it fine. I’m enjoying the dynamic between Foster and Reis, and I was ecstatic when I saw Eccleston’s name during the opening credits for the 2nd episode. I also really like Shaw and Hawkes, and am looking forward to seeing more of them. I did watch one after the other, but I don’t think I would have liked it less if I’d watched them separately, but who knows.

But since it’s only 6 episodes, I am planning on not watching any until all episodes are available.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Also I clearly should've rewatched S1 because I missed the tie ins. Only watched S1 once and that was as it aired so none of it is fresh to me.

Yeah, I rewatched s1 before watching this. I remembered a lot from it, but not every little detail, so it was definitely beneficial to have that fresh in my head. Maybe you should rewatch it while you wait for the other 4 episodes to drop? It feels like there will be more connections between the two seasons.

ps: I also thought Travis had a very strong Bob from Twin Peaks vibe, which I saw as a sort of homage? 

Edited by kissdbyfire

The reception in this thread.:lol:

But Alan Sepinwall from The Rolling Stones assures me with his perfect score:

Was it worth resurrecting the long-dormant True Detective franchise — and without its original creator, Nic Pizzolatto? The new season, created, directed, and largely written by Issa López (Tigers Are Not Afraid), and starring Jodie Foster, answers with a resounding, “Hell, yes.”

Kelly Lawler from USA Today also raves:

"Night Country" runs without sprinting; every episode is taut, focused and excruciatingly enthralling. The season is a tight six episodes, and no scene feels extraneous or too short. It leaves you wanting, then satisfies you with a finale that answers much but not all.

And Mathew Gilbert from the Boston Globe enthuses:

Foster is remarkable here, in ways that remind me of Kate Winslet’s turn in “Mare of Easttown.” It’s one of her most natural and charismatic performances. .... Reis is a great partner for Foster, and a revelation as an actor.

Are we saying that professional critics have poor taste, that perhaps they may not be aligned to the psychosphere of quality programming? 

Impossible!

Edited by IFR

I think the critics are right and you guys are wrong on this one. This is great crime drama, well shot, well written and well acted. Like all things in art and entertainment not everything is meant for everyone. 

If this one is not to your taste check out Monsieur Spade on AMC. Another great crime drama that started about the same time as Night Country.  For myself I'm tickled pink that there are two great tv shows already and its only January.  And Fargo just finished up which was fantastic as well.  I am TV heaven right now.

19 minutes ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

I think the critics are right and you guys are wrong on this one. This is great crime drama, well shot, well written and well acted. Like all things in art and entertainment not everything is meant for everyone. 

If this one is not to your taste check out Monsieur Spade on AMC. Another great crime drama that started about the same time as Night Country.  For myself I'm tickled pink that there are two great tv shows already and its only January.  And Fargo just finished up which was fantastic as well.  I am TV heaven right now.

We’re also only half way through… I’m going to keep watching.  The director is doing a nice job (as Cary Fukinyaka did in the first season) of making the setting a character along with everyone else.

So far everything has mundane explanations, mostly through hypothermic hallucinations.  The zombie torso saying Ange's name and channeling her mother though, is an outlier.  I have no issue with any of this and am liking this far better than seasons 2 or 3 

On 1/29/2024 at 12:55 PM, TheLastWolf said:

oranges, in the title sequence, peels too. Ange picks 1 up dropped by the hillbillies (foster uses the same word more than once, thrice. And redneck, srsly writing though) Hank recruits. Then the rest supernatural shit

The wheeler case parallels the marsh "shootout" s1

blue hair dye, anne and ange's sister both

oliver tagaq the hair lady susan used to see the guy hunting elk/moose/reindeer rudolph for all i know in ep1?

and I've had it with the pervading nympho vibe.  Lost tally, like the domestic abuse cases. She's on tinder after she's fucked half the state. Keep up the "empowering" characterisation.

And who doesn't ask to spell Tagaq on the radio, numbnuts that's who

numbo doesnt know mrs robinson!? srsly

she watches netflix

ariana grande

she prays!? Lady, this is the show that gave us fucking Rust Cohle. Now what. join a cult?

And stomping around blasting off is not simply equal to good acting . Neat way to explain off a boston accent. 

ok I didn't ever see the credits for the names only the easter eggs but i know now it's written by a woman, call me sexist or shit but I'm giving up trying to figure shit rationally. Emo shit. Meta moment when Foster copes, telling all is well, there's a reasonable explanation

Like hell there is

What's the issue with Foster on tinder?  People fuck.  It's a basic human need. And the word hillbilly?  How is that bad writing?  Yes, it's a synonym for redneck.  I'm not sure why it's weird for it to be a go-to description of the kinda of guy who gets excited to wander around on S&R with a rifle.  Seems apt to me. 

I'd take this over season 2s writing anyway.  Pretty sure Vince Vaughn says "apoplectic" at some point.

I dig the orange- pretty good stand in for a pomegranate when you're north of the Arctic circle, no?  Maybe a nod to Persephone?  

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

16 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

So far everything has mundane explanations, mostly through hypothermic hallucinations.  The zombie torso saying Ange's name and channeling her mother though, is an outlier.  I have no issue with any of this and am liking this far better than seasons 2 or 4.  

What's the issue with Foster on tinder?  People fuck.  It's a basic human need. And the word hillbilly?  How is that bad writing?  Yes, it's a synonym for redneck.  I'm not sure why it's weird for it to be a go-to description of the kinda of guy who gets excited to wander around on S&R with a rifle.  Seems apt to me. 

I'd take this over season 2s writing anyway.  Pretty sure Vince Vaughn says "apoplectic" at some point.

I dig the orange- pretty good stand in for a pomegranate when you're north of the Arctic circle, no?  Maybe a nod to Persephone?  

This is Season 4… ;)