Rings of Power 5: I Will Take the Thread to Reddit

HexMachina

4 minutes ago, baxus said:

Why wouldn't Isildur count as a character in Jackson's LotR? :blink:

Because he has about three minutes of total screentime and is employed as a plot device to establish the central conflict via flashbacks.  Finrod's role - while substantively different in terms of its depiction - is essentially analogous in those aspects.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Because he has about three minutes of total screentime and is employed as a plot device to establish the central conflict via flashbacks.

So? How does that make him not a character?

4 hours ago, baxus said:

So? How does that make him not a character?

Uh...cuz of what I just said?  If you're asking is he literally a character that is shown on screen.  Obviously yes - that's why I used him for the analogy!

But both Finrod and Isildur are barely on screen, are not a part of the show or films' actual narrative (nor even alive during it), and only serve as a plot device to establish the backstory for Galadriel's motivation or the history of the One Ring/weakness of Men.  In other words, there's no tangible characterization in their depiction.  Therefore, it seems decidedly silly and pointless to evaluate their lack of characterization and how it holds up vis-a-vis the text.  I dunno, feel like this is all fairly obvious.

12 hours ago, DMC said:

Uh...cuz of what I just said?

Uh... what you just said does not prove the point, does it?

He is a character, a minor one but a character. He's hardly the only one like that in LotR.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Uh... what you just said does not prove the point, does it?

He is a character, a minor one but a character. He's hardly the only one like that in LotR.

Wasn’t really trying to prove the point.  You simply seem incapable of grasping the point.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Wasn’t really trying to prove the point.  You simply seem incapable of grasping the point.

Well, I do admit to being incapable of grasping a point that's obviously wrong. ;) 

5 minutes ago, baxus said:

Well, I do admit to being incapable of grasping a point that's obviously wrong. ;) 

You just seem stuck on the literal definition of character as if that was in any way the point

Well, if we're talking about whether Isildur is a character or not, then the definition of character is kind of important. Wouldn't you agree?

Anyway, I'd say we have derailed the thread enough and could let this one go.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Well, if we're talking about whether Isildur is a character or not, then the definition of character is kind of important. Wouldn't you agree?

Anyway, I'd say we have derailed the thread enough and could let this one go.

No, don't stop! This is better than what we got the previous pages! Pleeeasse, go on!!!

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

It repeats the same line over and over gain, but sure it was more of a character than Isildur.

It's like a tone poem from George Lucas!

Edited by IlyaP
Spellfeck

16 hours ago, polishgenius said:

The ring is more of a character than Isildur in the movies. There, I said it. 

There's no "more/less of a character than", since the entity in question is either a character or it isn't.;) 

Edited by baxus

12 minutes ago, baxus said:

There's no "more/less of a character than", since the entity in question is either a character or it isn't.;) 

That's true if you're using only the strictly literal interpretation, but not it you're using the common, semi-metaphorical, usage where a character might literally be a character but is in the story only to in some way move the plot along and therefore functions more like a plot device than a person. 

And, flipside, a non-sentient object (or place) can't really be a character but can feel like one if the actual people react emotionally to it. Also quite a common usage.

Finrod searching for Sauron is pointless, he died to keep an oath of friendship with the race of Men, elves in the tv series are wrathful and vengeful, they don't behave like elves .
Sauron was not the most powerful of Morgoth lieutenants, Glaurung and Gothmog were, at the time of Beren and Luthien ,Morgoth created Carcharoth who was the largest of the werewolves,so Sauron was not the second threat

Edited by KingAerys_II

2 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Finrod searching for Sauron is pointless, he died to keep an oath of friendship with the race of Men, elves in the tv series are wrathful and vengeful, they don't behave like elves .
Sauron was not the most powerful of Morgoth lieutenants, Glaurung and Gothmog were, at the time of Beren and Luthien ,Morgoth created Carcharoth who was the largest of the werewolves,so Sauron was not the second threat

You’re seriously claiming that the Tolkein elves are not wrathful and vengeful?? Have you even read The Silmarillion? It’s pretty much full-on vengeance and wrath by elves. 

31 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

You’re seriously claiming that the Tolkein elves are not wrathful and vengeful?? Have you even read The Silmarillion? It’s pretty much full-on vengeance and wrath by elves. 

Full on vengeance : the famous Fingolfin rage when he challenged Morgoth in single combat and Eol the dark elf , that despised the Noldor for the first kinslaying but married a Noldor princess