Rings of Power 5: I Will Take the Thread to Reddit

HexMachina

Let's take a look on Lotr and The Hobbit movies:
Eowyn killed elephants, a winged demon and the witch king of Angmar during the siege of Gondor.
Arwen defeated the Nazgul searching for Frodo.
Galadriel banished Sauron and the Nazgul using her magic power.
These are strong women.
In Rop tv series Galadriel is the portrayal of the strong woman according to American activists,that's why I consider the series as a woke product.

Edited by KingAerys_II

29 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Let's take a look on Lotr and The Hobbit movies:
Eowyn killed elephants, a winged demon and the witch king of Angmar during the siege of Gondor.
Arwen defeated the Nazgul searching for Frodo.
Galadriel banished Sauron and the Nazgul using her magic power.
These are strong women.
In Rop tv series Galadriel is the portrayal of the strong woman according to American activists,that's why I consider the series as a woke product.

Your posts make even less sense than the script for RoP

40 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don't see Rings of Power bringing in Danny deVito, even if he would make an excellent Hobbit.

LOL, fair enough.  You're probably right in your cynicism, but I prefer to try to be positive.  Also, when lowered expectations are ingrained in, that also has an impact.

14 minutes ago, HexMachina said:

Your posts make even less sense than the script for RoP

Take the thread to Reddit , and there is no need to use Chat Gpt to understand that RoP is woke garbage, you just need to read the books

Edited by KingAerys_II

This is such a tangent but when it comes to DeVito, it's clear that was NOT what the gang wanted.  Indeed, "Mac" was rather avidly against it.  DeVito is awesome and it worked out, but Mac was worried about him fucking up the show.  Which was a legit concern.

Anyway, that...is not relevant to what I imagine is the production of ROP.  It was three guys making a show and doing what was necessary for the show to stay alive at the time.

34 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Take the thread to Reddit , and there is no need to use Chat Gpt to understand that RoP is woke garbage, you just need to read the books

Uh huh. Sure.

Edited by IlyaP

I think 90% of the shows I watched to completion in my entire life had better second seasons. Otherwise, I would have stopped watching. So of course I will remember the shows that had improvements. And this record specifically applies to SFF shows. 

I don't expect RoP to have significant improvements over season 1, but maybe there might be improved character chemistry, better direction and acting, and *fingers crossed* less boneheaded writing. But it's definitely not going to get close to capturing what Tolkien wrote.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Farscape. Blake's 7. Doctor Who. Babylon 5. Many of the Star Treks. Mash. Seinfeld. Mad About You. Game of Thrones. Fringe. The Expanse. Agents of Shield. Red Dwarf. 

I was nodding along and happy I could be lazy as and not post at all b/c I was agreeing so much w/ everything you were saying and then… :uhoh:

:lol:

52 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I was nodding along and happy I could be lazy as and not post at all b/c I was agreeing so much w/ everything you were saying and then… :uhoh:

:lol:

GoT did improve across the firsf four seasons, evsn arguably five seasons, and then fell off a cliff. 

4 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

GoT did improve across the firsf four seasons, evsn arguably five seasons, and then fell off a cliff. 

No it didn't IMO. But to each their own. 

It went from ok to a little worse w/ each new series. Though I can't speak for anything that came after Sansa Bolton b/c I stopped watching. 

Yeah I think the first season is one of the best of GoT, the first episode especially is very tightly done. Some of the later seasons are a bit patchy as they tried to balance all the different storylines. Even season 4, for instance had Tyrion's trial, which is one of the greatest scenes of the entire show, but everything before that scene was hot garbage (think it was the rescue of Theon). Then season 5 onwards the show went rapidly downhill. 

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Even season 4, for instance had Tyrion's trial, which is one of the greatest scenes of the entire show

100% this. 

I also have supreme strong love for it as season 4 gave us one of Ramin's finest pieces of music - The Children:

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

No it didn't IMO. But to each their own. 

It went from ok to a little worse w/ each new series. Though I can't speak for anything that came after Sansa Bolton b/c I stopped watching. 

If GoT was such a failure, I would be very interested to hear of a fantasy show that did a better and more faithful job of adapting its material than the first 4 seasons of GoT. I say this in a LotR thread, which I view to be an inferior adaption, but let's restrict this to tv adaptations.

5 minutes ago, IFR said:

If GoT was such a failure, I would be very interested to hear of a fantasy show that did a better and more faithful job of adapting its material than the first 4 seasons of GoT. I say this in a LotR thread, which I view to be an inferior adaption, but let's restrict this to tv adaptations.

As you said, this is the wrong thread for this discussion. I’ll only say that success doesn’t necessarily mean quality. One can argue Trump is a “success”, for instance. 

Bringing it back to the topic, I have hopes that RoP’s next series will find its footing and improve. I certainly hope it does, as this is a show I very much want to like but haven’t thought much of its 1st series, and that’s to put it mildly. 

6 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Powerful sorcerer and wisest commander VS a dumb tomboy.

Is it female empowerment?

Do you expect her to have been naturally wise?  Isn’t wisdom something that comes with experience and, often times learning from mistakes?

How is she a tomboy?  The sword and armor?  

YMMV but she seems quite feminine and lovely to me. 

3 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

A - the thread title references taking the Ring to Mordor. 
B - I don’t think anyone here is using Chat GPT with possible exception of you. 
C - as has been established multiple times, the source material was pretty limited due to license restrictions. As such I believe it’s “read the appendices.

You’ve also yet to explain what characteristics Galadriel exhibits that makes her a woke American political activist product. 

Regardless, I’m out. You’re either not willing or capable of providing examples. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

As you said, this is the wrong thread for this discussion. I’ll only say that success doesn’t necessarily mean quality. One can argue Trump is a “success”, for instance.

Surely it's not too much of a derailment to list a few shows? I ask not to start a debate but out of genuine curiosity. I find that despite the real problems GoT has, the first four seasons are the best fantasy adaptation that exists - and that includes the LoR movies. RoP is such a pathetic attempt that it hardly bears mentioning in the company of GoT. So I'm naturally curious when someone declares GoT a failure, what show(s) they think is not a failure, or if they think the entire genre of fantasy adaptations is a failure.

I promise you that this isn't some "gotcha" attempt; I'm merely interested.

1 hour ago, IFR said:

9 minutes ago, IFR said:

Surely it's not too much of a derailment to list a few shows? I ask not to start a debate but out of genuine curiosity. I find that despite the real problems GoT has, the first four seasons are the best fantasy adaptation that exists - and that includes the LoR movies. RoP is such a pathetic attempt that it hardly bears mentioning in the company of GoT. So I'm naturally curious when someone declares GoT a failure, what show(s) they think is not a failure, or if they think the entire genre of fantasy adaptations is a failure.

I promise you that this isn't some "gotcha" attempt; I'm merely interested.

I disagree with you on GoT seasons 1-4 being a better adaptation than Jackson's LOTR. 

As for TV shows, you're probably right, but the list is a bit thin as a whole.