US Politics: Sitting in Judgement

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Poor Lara, she's gonna have to work extra hard at the RNC! :rofl:

Especially since the interest will continue to accumulate, so the slow walk strategy will only cost him more if they lose. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Oh shit, first I saw the number dropped to $355M, but now NBC is saying with interest it's $453.5M. Not sure what is the right one, but the latter completely fucks him when you add in the $83M. And the kiddos have debts too, plus the legal fees for all of them. The house of cards is crashing down. 

This is where Trump steals the Republican campaign coffers to pay his bills.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Especially since the interest will continue to accumulate, so the slow walk strategy will only cost him more if they lose. 

If he drags it out long enough, I might get a chance to hop onto his corpse and grab me some sweetmeats. I'll take the land in Scotland that he's wrecked and put it back together again.

Edited by Spockydog

3 hours ago, Rippounet said:

France has had 5 republics/constitutions, and we're not doing any better than other demoracies.

I wasn't forgetting that France has had multiple attempts but I did think they hadn't had a real chance to iterate on the model and improve it based on learnings from the previous attempt - that's still plenty of room for my ignorance to be wrong. I think it came down to the assumption that previous ones were snuffed out prematurely without having had the chance to mature enough to provide those lessons.

I will say the French people certainly seem to have a better grasp of the necessity of widespread collective action as soon as someone tries to erode their rights to prevent it happening via slow creep compared to the anglosphere countries which all seem to have swallowed the propaganda that protest which mildly inconveniences people is basically terrorism. That could be informed by the greater history with democracy and the losing of.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Oh shit, first I saw the number dropped to $355M, but now NBC is saying with interest it's $453.5M. Not sure what is the right one, but the latter completely fucks him when you add in the $83M.

355 Million here, 83 Million there, pretty soon your talkin' about real money!  Open your wallets MAGAt rubes, your God Emperor needs some cash!       :lmao:

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

This is where Trump steals the Republican campaign coffers to pay his bills.

I'm not sure it works that way. There are some funds from your campaign war chest you can use for legal fees, but I don't believe this is one of them. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

If he drags it out long enough, I might get a chance to hop onto his corpse and grab me some sweetmeats. I'll take the land in Scotland that he's wrecked and put it back together again.

You'll let me run the golf course right? Or at least have a free membership? I do have some ancestry after all. 

Or if you want to tear it all down I at least get to swing the hammer a few times. And steal some paintings. Love how Mike Schur tells a story about how he got a weeding gift from Trump, thought it was weird and cheap and realized the vase was something he mass ordered because the graphics were only on one side. It was meant for his hotels and resorts. He still keeps it to laugh at it.

32 minutes ago, LongRider said:

355 Million here, 83 Million there, pretty soon your talkin' about real money!  Open your wallets MAGAt rubes, your God Emperor needs some cash!       :lmao:

Again, my understanding is he can't pay these debts off with campaign donations or bank loans, so he has to use his own money and he's not liquid enough. To appeal he has to put up a significant amount and selling prosperities will be complicated because they take a lot of time, he's in debt on a number of them and people can squeeze him. It sounds like he's really fucked. Maybe I'm wrong, but Putin and the Saudis aren't likely walking through that door to save him. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Again, my understanding is he can't pay these debts off with campaign donations or bank loans,

He'll still beg them for cash tho' after all, it's what he does and of course, they'll expect it and cough it up.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I'm not sure it works that way. There are some funds from your campaign war chest you can use for legal fees, but I don't believe this is one of them. 

That's only a problem if you get caught or you get someone who wants to punish you. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Again, my understanding is he can't pay these debts off with campaign donations or bank loans, so he has to use his own money and he's not liquid enough. To appeal he has to put up a significant amount and selling prosperities will be complicated because they take a lot of time, he's in debt on a number of them and people can squeeze him. It sounds like he's really fucked. Maybe I'm wrong, but Putin and the Saudis aren't likely walking through that door to save him. 

I think you're likely very wrong, and he'll be able to come up with the money in various horrible ways. 

I also don't understand why Putin or SA wouldn't come to his aid by, say, simply buying some property in cash and making sure that he understands they owe him. I mean, like, that is literally both their MO and his. That's what they already did in the first presidency. Why change a good thing?

Also ETA: another thing he can do is simply go and use the same email lists that he likely doesn't own but fuck it, and just blatantly ask people to help him pay this bill, with some teeny tiny note saying that this is not an official campaign and is instead for the sole value of Donald Trump. 

Edited by Kalbear

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

There will be no golf course.

You monster! 

20 minutes ago, LongRider said:

He'll still beg them for cash tho' after all, it's what he does and of course, they'll expect it and cough it up.

Sure, but I don't believe the money he can raise that he can spend on this will keep pace with what he needs. TBD.

27 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

That's only a problem if you get caught or you get someone who wants to punish you. 

He's under a microscope now.

I think you're likely very wrong, and he'll be able to come up with the money in various horrible ways. 

I also don't understand why Putin or SA wouldn't come to his aid by, say, simply buying some property in cash and making sure that he understands they owe him. I mean, like, that is literally both their MO and his. That's what they already did in the first presidency. Why change a good thing?

Also ETA: another thing he can do is simply go and use the same email lists that he likely doesn't own but fuck it, and just blatantly ask people to help him pay this bill, with some teeny tiny note saying that this is not an official campaign and is instead for the sole value of Donald Trump. 

He can find the money, but he's going to have some real issues. A lot of his attempts to sell properties will be heavily scrutinized, take a long time and he needs money right now to cover the appeal costs. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

This is Trump we are talking about. Minor technicalities like that won't even slow him down.

I was referring to Trump raiding the funds of the Republican Party proper, not merely his campaign money. (The money that theoretically goes to key races around the country.

I especially appreciated the judge commenting-

The judge said that the former president’s “complete lack of contrition” bordered on pathological.

No-one has ever held this dough-boy accountable for a single thing in his entire grotesque existence.

Its about time the Trumps start paying and paying through the teeth. With a little luck his ticker will explode soon as hes able to contemplate his miserable ways-