Jump to content

¿Were Rickard's southron ambitions a common fear in the Realm?


frenin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote

 When the Stark line was nearly obliterated by Mad King Aerys after Rhaegar’s abduction of Lyanna, some misguided men laid the blame at the feet of the late Lord Rickard, whose alliances by blood and friendship tied the great houses together and ensured that they would act together in response to the Mad King’s crimes.

 

Quote

"There were trials. Of a sort. Lord Rickard demanded trial by combat, and the king granted the request. Stark armored himself as for battle, thinking to duel one of the Kingsguard. Me, perhaps. Instead they took him to the throne room and suspended him from the rafters while two of Aerys's pyromancers kindled a blaze beneath him. The king told him that fire was the champion of House Targaryen. So all Lord Rickard needed to do to prove himself innocent of treason was . . . well, not burn.

We know little and less about the pre Robellion era and while plenty of things have been said about Rickard and his ambitions, we know little about hiw his actions, and the actions of the rest of the highlords, Lannister, Martell, Hightower etc, were perceived in the Realm.

I've always found odd that people blamed Rickard for the fate of House Stark and the war that followed and how Rickard apparently went to King's Landing to save Brandon but ended himself judged for treason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, frenin said:

 

We know little and less about the pre Robellion era and while plenty of things have been said about Rickard and his ambitions, we know little about hiw his actions, and the actions of the rest of the highlords, Lannister, Martell, Hightower etc, were perceived in the Realm.

I've always found odd that people blamed Rickard for the fate of House Stark and the war that followed and how Rickard apparently went to King's Landing to save Brandon but ended himself judged for treason.

I think that House Targaryen was treading on thin ice, due to Aegon V’s “tyranny”, and that’s when various lords began seriously to consider a change of dynasty.

The lords would mostly have approved Tywin’s cancelling Aegon’s reforms, before Aerys’ cruelty provoked rebellion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that there was certainly something fishy going on.

If we look at the family trees of the Starks and the Lannisters, going back for many generations, we see that lords almost never married with families from outside their regions, and never with other Great Houses. The information we have for the other regions is consistent with that pattern.

And then, suddenly, we have Starks bethroting Tullys, the Martells proposing betrothals to the Lannisters, Lannisters and Tullys negotiationg marriages, two great lords sending their sons as wards to another,... it's as if suddenly the entire paradigm for marriages had changed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

I think that there was certainly something fishy going on.

If we look at the family trees of the Starks and the Lannisters, going back for many generations, we see that lords almost never married with families from outside their regions, and never with other Great Houses. The information we have for the other regions is consistent with that pattern.

And then, suddenly, we have Starks bethroting Tullys, the Martells proposing betrothals to the Lannisters, Lannisters and Tullys negotiationg marriages, two great lords sending their sons as wards to another,... it's as if suddenly the entire paradigm for marriages had changed.

This

Aerys was paranoid as hell...doesnt mean he was wrong here

They clearly tried to oust him at the tourney for the much more suitable prince and the marriage alliances seemed like a good plan b. Shit if tywin didnt have royal hopes for his brood the lannisters would have  been married into the alliance too!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

This

Aerys was paranoid as hell...doesnt mean he was wrong here

They clearly tried to oust him at the tourney for the much more suitable prince and the marriage alliances seemed like a good plan b. Shit if tywin didnt have royal hopes for his brood the lannisters would have  been married into the alliance too!!!

I think Aerys's difficulty producing more heirs was part of the problem as well. He, as with Aegon IV and Daeron II, may have suspected Rhaegar was not his son, which would explain his complete lack of concern for Rhaegar's safety and simultaneous over-protection of Prince Viserys.

If you look at the details, Rhaella was extremely young when Rhaegar was born, and yet we know that her brief young love moment with Bonifer Hasty was "in her youth". So it seems possible Aerys and Rhaella were married quickly to stop Rhaella's crush from going too far. But, maybe, unknown to them it already had gone too far and she was therefore in early pregnancy when married.

This scenario would mean this Kingdoms were possibly looking at Viserys being named heir, and after years of Aerys that would have been the last straw.

Edited by Hippocras
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...