Watch, Watched, Watching: Anybody but Superman

Veltigar

I watched the last two episodes of Ripley on Monday. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT! I don't think I've ever seen anything so beautiful on a TV series. Almost every shot is arresting and almost distracting with its composition and lighting/exposure/shadow. Definitely suggest everyone give it a look just on the strength of its aesthetics.

As for performance, I really enjoyed Andrew Scott as Tom. I thought he did brilliantly. It's a shame that Dickie was a weak link and I also felt we could have gotten something a bit more powerful from Marge (not saying that performance needs to be a carbon copy of Gwyneth Paltrow as I am always happy to get a different take on characters). I'd come out at an 8/10 I think, overall. I thought the Italian detective was great. And that cat was fabulous too.

My local cinema just got itself a D-BOX screen. First film they are showing on it is the Planet of the Apes one. I'm a bit +/- about that film but might go anyway as I just want to see what its like. I've got a monthly pass so it's not going to cost me anything more. Already got my Furiosa tickets booked but that would seem like an obvious film to show with vibration technology...

Posted (edited)

Fallout S1 was pretty good, even with no prior knowledge of the video game or IP.  IMO it’s considerably better than a crowded genre by having lots of quirky humor, a sense of discovery rather than only and oppressive sense of control & conspiracy, a high tempo and progression, impressive investment in showing this world, plus a handful of primary characters who are individually interesting, have rational motivations & agency and have uncertain interactions with each other.

Edit: my wife find it too gory so I had to watch solo

Edited by Iskaral Pust

I’m watching Euphoria which is one of the weirdest piece of entertainment I’ve encountered. I’m not saying it’s any less realistic than the rest of the teen dramas like Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars, because boy those had nothing to do with real high school life either. But this one is so dark and simultaneously has these absurd fits of comedy. I’m still undecided if it all works out and comes together somehow or it’s just all over the place in terms of tone with no excuse. What I can say is that Zendaya’s Emmy was very well deserved. 

Finished season 4 of The Shield last night and watched episode one of the next season. 

Spoiler

Glenn Close was great as Captain Rawling. I mentioned before I watched the first five seasons about ten years ago and never finished it for no particular reason. I forgot how good she was. Live by the seizures die by the seizures. I respect her backbone though. Had her people's back which is quite the opposite from the weasel Aceveda. His approval rating for me right now is like 10%, holding onto a small amount of the empathy I had for him after his run in with Juan in season 3. I've largely hated him throughout. 

Anthony Anderson was great as Antwon. He kind of flounders out as the season goes on but what are you gonna do. 

I respect Dutch's decision at the end of the episode when he turns down the Captain job, though after seeing who gets the job in 501.... wow that's painful. Complete doofus. 

Forgot how unhinged Forest Whitaker was in the new IAD role but got a small taste of it in the first episode. Complete lunatic and such a good character. Excited to relive this. I remember what happens at the end of the season with Lem, so that won't surprise me, but everything after will be brand new territory for me. Love this fucking show. 

Posted (edited)

I watched Luca Guadagnino's Challengers the other day. I think it's his strongest film yet and that by a considerable margin. The film is ostensively about tennis, but beneath the surface it's about a love triangle between the characters played by Zendaya, Josh O'Connor and Mike Flail and even deeper than that it's about the relationship between O'Connor and Flail's characters.

It's an extremely confident piece of storytelling. Not only due to the fact that it's a very adult piece of storytelling, that doesn't shy away from the existence of sex, but also because the film zips back and forth through time at a relentless pace. It never lost my interest nor extinguished my comprehension by doing so and I don't think many directors could have pulled that off. The score, greatly influenced by techno, is equally propulsive and is something I will probably revisit on its own in the future. The directing itself is also worthy of praise, since Guadagnino makes a lot of very stylish choices, particularly in how he brings the tennis aspects of the film to the screen

The performances are all great. I think it's the best role I have seen Zendaya in and she has to do a lot of heavy lifting to sell a character that is driven, seductive, intimidating, scheming and vulnerable all in equal measures. She's both fascinating and - dare I say - repulsive to watch. It's impressive really and I hope the Academy will remember her performance when the time comes. 

Josh O'Connor and Mike Flail were both amazing as well. Their close relationship is never in doubt, despite the fact that they differ tremendously, because they sell the little moments of intimacy between their two characters extremely well. They truly act as people who have lived years of their life together. I'll surely be looking out for their future roles, because they showed their potential quite clearly here.

On 5/10/2024 at 4:51 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Fallout S1 was pretty good, even with no prior knowledge of the video game or IP.  IMO it’s considerably better than a crowded genre by having lots of quirky humor, a sense of discovery rather than only and oppressive sense of control & conspiracy, a high tempo and progression, impressive investment in showing this world, plus a handful of primary characters who are individually interesting, have rational motivations & agency and have uncertain interactions with each other.

Edit: my wife find it too gory so I had to watch solo

I also finished S1 of Fallout yesterday and my estimation is pretty similar to yours. Far better than what I would have thought it would be when first seeing the trailer. I think the fact that it's only 8 episodes works to its advantage by forcing a lot of focus on the writer's room.

I do feel that there were some weaknesses, especially creeping in towards the end, that belay the difficulty of making a videogame adaptation. Pretty much any element I didn't like felt like it was there as a tribute to the original game's source material.

That being said, if Fallout remains "pretty good" throughout its entire run, I'll probably be happy to watch all seasons of it. That alone puts it above most video game adaptation.

Edited by Veltigar

Watched Tell Me Who I Am on Netflix yesterday, looking for something light before going to bed (!)... jesus, this is a horrifyingly dark, gripping documentary about a pair of twins, one of whom suffers a memory loss, and a horrible family history. It's a great documentary though because it's hard to look away.

NB It's from 2019 so I must have missed it if there was any fuss about it when it came out. 

On 5/11/2024 at 8:13 AM, RhaenysBee said:

I’m watching Euphoria which is one of the weirdest piece of entertainment I’ve encountered. I’m not saying it’s any less realistic than the rest of the teen dramas like Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars, because boy those had nothing to do with real high school life either. But this one is so dark and simultaneously has these absurd fits of comedy. I’m still undecided if it all works out and comes together somehow or it’s just all over the place in terms of tone with no excuse. What I can say is that Zendaya’s Emmy was very well deserved. 

Overall I enjoy the show. It certainly wasn't my high school experience but I didn't go to HS in California. Modern day The OC maybe, I don't know. Zendaya is great, and her flashbacks with her family help you understand things. I think the soundtrack and music choices set it apart from a lot of other shows. They do a great job with that. 

On 5/11/2024 at 12:17 PM, l2 0 5 5 said:

Finished season 4 of The Shield last night and watched episode one of the next season. 

Hide contents

Glenn Close was great as Captain Rawling. I mentioned before I watched the first five seasons about ten years ago and never finished it for no particular reason. I forgot how good she was. Live by the seizures die by the seizures. I respect her backbone though. Had her people's back which is quite the opposite from the weasel Aceveda. His approval rating for me right now is like 10%, holding onto a small amount of the empathy I had for him after his run in with Juan in season 3. I've largely hated him throughout. 

Anthony Anderson was great as Antwon. He kind of flounders out as the season goes on but what are you gonna do. 

I respect Dutch's decision at the end of the episode when he turns down the Captain job, though after seeing who gets the job in 501.... wow that's painful. Complete doofus. 

Forgot how unhinged Forest Whitaker was in the new IAD role but got a small taste of it in the first episode. Complete lunatic and such a good character. Excited to relive this. I remember what happens at the end of the season with Lem, so that won't surprise me, but everything after will be brand new territory for me. Love this fucking show. 

Keep going.

On 5/10/2024 at 3:51 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Have to say I really enjoyed Fallout, and I am a big fan of the games. Really though, it was just an easy, fun watch that seemed to roll by with little effort. Thats something that is actually quite hard to achieve for a show, without being dull and pointless.

I think it says something that I watched the entire season and made excuses to put off watching episodes of Shogun at the same time. Shogun is an obviously great show, but I'd much rather chill with a bit of Fallout. 

I watched the first season of Slow Horses finally. I think I have been putting it off because I have an aversion to UK cop shows, given that they have spammed our screens for years and are generally crappy, or not my cup of tea. I call it the 'Spooks phenomenon' 

Slow Horses is definitely elevated by the script and Gary Oldman. I can't say it is world beating in the way some people talk about it, but it's very enjoyable, even if it's grimy aesthetic is a little offputting.

Abigail (2024)

A decent horror movie with cheesy gore and comedy elements.

A group of criminals kidnap a rich man's daughter for ransom, but things take a turn when they find out who the girl's father is. And no, it's not anything like Taken.

Still waiting for another great horror movie (last great one I saw was Midsommar) but I'll take what I can get for now I guess.

Posted (edited)

Got my bluray of the thoroughly excellent The Borderlands. One of the best British horror movies ever. And a shining example of what you can do with an ultra low budget and a decent script.

Pay no heed to the low IMDB ratings. This one is a favourite of Mark Kermode, who certainly knows his horror.

Edited by Spockydog

20 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I finally watched Mad Max: Fury Road, and yeah, I can see why it received all the praise that it did. 

Just watched this the other night too. I'll echo you. Pure action from beginning to end. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 6:41 PM, Jace, Extat said:

That's darling, I watched it on Friday night after work. I had a fit imaging Theron and Hardy sitting there, despising each other. 

Theron is a pro and Hardy is a queen. Bet there was some amazing drama between those too.

---

Watched the three episodes released thus far of Dark Matter last night [I haven't read the book]

The premise is interesting though hardly novel, but the science... I almost wish they wouldn't bother with it if the best they got is this Quantum bullshit. Unsure how it's portrayed in the book but it's bad [almost laughably] as presented in show. 

Edgerton is great as the lead and his other self, I'm interested to see how the two Jasons diverge character wise. Braga and Connelly I could watch all day for various reasons, but Okeniyi feels horribly miscast as Leighton. Dude is carved from wood. 

Looks like it's going to open up come E04, so I'll continue and see if it goes anywhere [totes fine with me if this is more a character driven series]

Edited by JGP

38 minutes ago, JGP said:

Theron is a pro and Hardy is a queen. Bet there was some amazing drama between those too.

---

Watched the three episodes released thus far of Dark Matter last night [I haven't read the book]

The premise is interesting though hardly novel, but the science... I almost wish they wouldn't bother with it if the best they got is this Quantum bullshit. Unsure how it's portrayed in the book but it's bad [almost laughably] as presented in show. 

Edgerton is great as the lead and his other self, I'm interested to see how the two Jasons diverge character wise. Braga and Connelly I could watch all day for various reasons, but Okeniyi feels horribly miscast as Leighton. Dude is carved from wood. 

Looks like it's going to open up come E04, so I'll continue and see if it goes anywhere [totes fine with me if this is more a character driven series]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Sweat-Chrome-Wild-Story/dp/0063084341

1 hour ago, JGP said:

---

:laugh:

Hardy is probably my favorite actor of the last 15 years. There's just something visceral about his performances that I'm fascinated by.

53 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

:laugh:

Hardy is probably my favorite actor of the last 15 years. There's just something visceral about his performances that I'm fascinated by.

He digs deep, for sure, but you just know he's a messy bitch lol

55 minutes ago, JGP said:

He digs deep, for sure, but you just know he's a messy bitch lol

Oh, no doubt. All actors are crazy, it is known.

Enjoying The Veil (Hulu) quite a lot.  Elizabeth Moss as Imogen Salter eating the scenery in her joy of no longer being a Handmaid, but a Real Badass.  Her opposite, Adilah El Idrissi, played by the actress, Yumna Marwan, is equally capable of holding a screen and the viewer's attention.  In the mode of international spy-secret agents-thriller tales, this is working very well.  We get the Syrian-Iranian border, Turkey, Paris, London -- all works for me.  And the CIA, as represented by Josh Charles, as Max Peterson, are idiots.  This latter I'm not quite buying, of course, in the wake of 10/07/23.  However, I can buy into the CIA runners as obnoxious as Peterson though.

• Ran locked this topic