US Politics: Swindler's List

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

They're the same sign, it's just that context means there's no reason to believe it's a victory sign (something you throw when, you know, you've won) and lots to believe it's a peace sign (it's a peace protest). Also the article does refer to it as such.

Thanks for the clarification!

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

But this is prejudice. It's exactly what I'm saying: it's a reaction born of unreasonable and quite frankly wrong perceptions. 
Also making it the headline photo of a story that is explicitly about putting a face and story to the students seems like the best way to convince people that it's not, in fact, a threat.

But isn't at least part of a protest trying to win over the general public? (there are other aspects of protest obviously) And the general public is prejudiced... I just wonder if instead of a head scarf they would have worn a rainbow colored peace flag, if that would have made the general public more susceptible to their cause...

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's not just police brutality. We live on the internet and people are bastards. 

Call me naive and idealistic, or maybe I do live in a too cozy part of the world; either way I am probably guilty.

Posted (edited)

On a lighter note, a cartoon popped up on my Facebook page, showing a boy waiting for an elevator together with his dad. The cartoon is labelled “2075”. The boy is asking his father (quoting from memory here) “how come so many buildings don’t have a 45th floor?”

eta: not to derail the protest discussion 

Edited by Fragile Bird

She’s also wearing a black shirt.  I don’t like that.  It’s such a dark and threatening color.  And couldn’t she have done something better with her hair?  It’s all bushy and stuff.  These are the important things to consider when you go to protest - how you will be scrutinized when a photojournalist takes your picture and it ends up on the cover of Time.

If anyone’s looking for a few easy laughs, I have just the thing for you! 
Many reviews for Kristi Noem’s No Going Back on Amazon are hilarious, and the very few praising the book are even funnier. 

Little confused by the writing style chosen here. There's a few instances of hashtags in the text, which seems odd. There's odd sidebars in italics that seem like thoughts in her head that frankly could have stayed there. On a positive note, it's a short book.

Kristi definitely showed how strong of a leader she is by killing an evil defiant puppy and a horrible, GOAT (God help us all), but why stop there? She could be demonstrating her toughness by stomping on communist kittens, and deporting illegal migrant Canadian geese straight to hell.

Well, it has words. Many words. In her own voice, she tells about the fun shooting a puppy,a goat, and other things in order to make herself sound super tough to the snowflakes.
While sticking her nose up Connie Drumpf, she manages to sound like a sociopath intent on animal torture, earning Ted Bundy status.

3 hours ago, Bironic said:

Disclaimer: I have just seen the cover and not the article itself. I like non-violent protest, think it’s an important and effective tool and regularly take part in them. I haven’t really followed the protests in the USA, since I am neither a student nor do i live there, but as a general feeling I would be more pro-protesters and against police intervention. 
I don’t want to offend anyone, since this seems to be a divisive topic. 
I agree that the protesters look as you said „cool as hell“, but for me and I think I am probably not the only one also somewhat frightening and not in a positive way. I will try to explain why:  generally not a fan of protesters that are somewhat masked ( in a protest you should be open about your opinion and person), what do you have to hide? second in this case the mask is also a religious symbol that imho suppresses women ( if you wear them all the time because that’s your personal belief ok, but to wear them just for a protest it’s different), finally the victory sign combined with the traditional Palestinian headscarf: what exactly would this victory be? I hope it’s an end to the violence, but imho it doesn’t come across as that…

You need to get out more.

23 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Oh, New York, you are making a mistake.

Well, just having this introduced says nothing one way or the other about how likely it is to be passed. The "mistake" hasn't been made yet.

However, this is way too broad. I think an argument could be made for allowing testimony about previous convictions for the same offense, but to lump all "sexual offenses" together is not good. For example, as I understand it those who have been convicted of exhibitionism are extremely unlikely to ever commit a violent sexual offense, so allowing information about previous conviction for exhibitionism in a rape trial would be irrelevant and prejudicial. 

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

However, this is way too broad. I think an argument could be made for allowing testimony about previous convictions for the same offense, but to lump all "sexual offenses" together is not good. For example, as I understand it those who have been convicted of exhibitionism are extremely unlikely to ever commit a violent sexual offense, so allowing information about previous conviction for exhibitionism in a rape trial would be irrelevant and prejudicial. 

My understanding is that the offenses mentioned in the bill need not have resulted in convictions, and that's my problem with this bill. That means the prosecution can dig up any and all accusations for presentation at trial, as long as they can be argued to be relevant.

I'm not necessarily against prior convictions being admitted as evidence, but mere accusations? Nah. The defense cannot be expected to defend against the charges plus any and all allegations the prosecution is able to scare up, no matter how credible they may be. And, yes, I know the defense has the opportunity to cross-examine and challenge credibility, but I envision the effect that a parade of witnesses would have on a jury. Lots of people think that where there is smoke there is fire, and I don't think we should be sending people to jail based on folk wisdom.

32 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

My understanding is that the offenses mentioned in the bill need not have resulted in convictions, and that's my problem with this bill. That means the prosecution can dig up any and all accusations for presentation at trial, as long as they can be argued to be relevant.

Yes, I agree that would be extremely problematic, so hopefully they will not pass this in its present form.

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

cover of the flagbearer of mainstream American political opinion

Hardly.  The days of Time Magazine's influence about anything have been long, long, long gone.  Like most periodicals now, the magazine barely exists as a print edition.  It isn't a first go-to online either.

8 hours ago, Bironic said:

generally not a fan of protesters that are somewhat masked

You will really find these guys frightening then -- these are the 'counter protesters' as the MSM is determined to label the violent zionists thugs and their adjuncts which are including magathugs, and certainly at Columbia, Proud Boys.  The same who ilks who during BLM constantly committed and provoked violence at demonstrations, particularly in Portland -- while yelling about 'antifa' -- which, continues, btw, to still not exist.

Highly recommend looking at this.

Despite warnings of violence at UCLA, police didn’t step in for over 3 hours
Faculty had raised alarms in the days before the attack on pro-Palestinian protesters. That night, one witness called emergency services 11 times before police intervened.

By Jon Swaine, Hannah Natanson, Joyce Sohyun Lee, Sarah Cahlan and Jonathan Baran
May 11, 2024 at 9:52 a.m. EDT

The gift link is on International.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2024/05/11/ucla-protests-police-inaction-fights/

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Hardly.  The days of Time Magazine's influence about anything have been long, long, long gone.  Like most periodicals now, the magazine barely exists as a print edition.  It isn't a first go-to online either.

Flagbearer is probably the wrong word but the point I was trying to make is that TIME don't rock the boat, they reflect what they see as the orthodox opinion as best they can, and them doing this is a bad sign for unquestioned support for Israel. 

7 hours ago, Bironic said:

just wonder if instead of a head scarf they would have worn a rainbow colored peace flag, if that would have made the general public more susceptible to their cause...

Silly rabbit.  That would be signaling to the public LGBTQT+AI  You really do live insulated if you don't know that, as the rainbow has been a global sign of this for decades.

Also that scarf is worn throughout the Middle East including by Saudis.  It's not confined to Palestinians.

I don’t entirely agree with Pinsky’s characterizations in this piece, but I thought it was worth sharing given recent discussions - Antisemitism, Islamophobia and ‘feeling unsafe’:

As protests against Israel’s war in Gaza and debates about antisemitism continue, a question arises: What is the difference between “feeling unsafe” and “being unsafe”?

Conflating the two, as is often happening, creates a dramatically false equivalence that has infected the discourse about Israel and Palestine.

A look at the actual casualty toll in America resulting in bloodshed since Oct. 7 is instructive: one six-year-old Muslim boy stabbed to death in Detroit; three Palestinian American college students shot in Vermont; one Palestinian American protestor stabbed in Austin; scores of pro-Palestinian demonstrators beaten at UCLA by a mob; dozens of pro-Palestinian protesters at the University of Mississippi pelted with food and water bottles; and, on May 8, a 55-year-old pro-Palestinian demonstrator in New York City was struck by a car driven an Israel supporter, who was charged by police with second-degree assault.

On the other side, beyond some pushing and shoving around demonstrations, a Jewish protester at a pro-Israel rally died in Southern California after being hit by a megaphone in a scuffle. There may be more, but without fatal or bloody result.

Why far-right groups are disrupting US campus protests: ‘When there’s so much attention, they show up’
Gaza counter-protesters at UCLA took part in anti-LGBTQ+ and anti-vaccine events across southern California, researchers say

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/10/college-campus-protests-far-right

...  researchers studying hate and anti-government groups have confirmed the presence at the counter-demonstrations of several far-right activists who have been involved in anti-LGBTQ+ and anti-vaccine protests across southern California over the past three years. ....

.... The demonstrations, part of a broader rightwing effort to sow unrest and undermine an alleged “liberal agenda” at US schools, have at times been marked by violence and drawn far-right participants from around the region, including people associated with local Proud Boy and Three Percenter militia chapters and fundamentalist Christian churches ....

Cancel and Woke strike again!  

"He left me no option": Giuliani canned from conservative radio show, due to election lies
Giuliani, who filed for bankruptcy in December, lost one of his few remaining sources of income
PUBLISHED MAY 11, 2024 12:31PM (EDT)

https://www.salon.com/2024/05/11/he-left-me-no-option-giuliani-canned-from-conservative-radio-show-due-to-lies/?

Rudy Giuliani’s daily talk show on WABC — a New York radio station — was canceled Friday, after he ignored repeated warnings about denying the legitimacy of the 2020 election on air ....

Earlier this month:

Rudy Giuliani fantasizes about a more racist "SNL" in bizarre rant
In a recent podcast episode, Giuliani campaigns for "SNL" to bring back racist jokes
PUBLISHED MAY 5, 2024 9:26AM (EDT)

https://www.salon.com/2024/05/05/rudy-giuliani-fantasizes-about-a-more-snl-in-bizarre-rant/

.... During a recent episode of Rudy Giuliani's podcast, "America’s Mayor Live," the former New York City mayor and Trump associate went on a tirade, decrying "Saturday Night Live" for turning away from “suggestively racist” humor.

In the episode, which aired on Tuesday, Giuliani alleges that "SNL" “got intimidated of saying anything that might be suggestively racist,” which, he says, is racist “in itself.” .... 

Posted (edited)

Plus more on the numero uno scammer who must keep scamming, like sharks must keep swimming or die. This round means he may owe a cool 100 million to the IRS.

'Scammers gonna scam’: Social media melts down at news of latest Trump scandal

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-taxes-2668234595/

`````````

Another sex hush money lawsuit filed against we know who, going back to 2017.

New lawsuit accuses Trump campaign of illegally attempting to hide payments to women
M.L. Nestel
May 11, 2024 7:14AM ET

https://www.rawstory.com/aj-delgado/

C&P direct from article as it has the link to the filing:

The Federal Election Commission must investigate whether the campaign illegally attempted to hide settlement payments by routing them through third parties, according to a complaint filed by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW).

Edited by Zorral

15 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Idiocy has no limits apparently.

Alex Jones has been ripping people off with vitamin supplements sold on “Infowars” for more than a decade.  Just more “conservative influencers” getting in on the scam.

• Ran locked this topic