US Politics: Swindler's List

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That would be an incredible stretch for the SCOTUS to ignore.  The term limits for Presidents is established by the 22nd Amendment.  That his fanatical cult like followers might want to ignore the Constitution wouldn’t surprise me.  The SCOTUS doing the same (well not Alito and Thomas) would.

It's established for "persons." Religious cult judges could claim he's a deity and Bingo!, dino DNA. 

Or ya know, he could just run for a third term and every conservative would just be cool with it. The legal system only matters for some people. Didn't you go to law school? 

Posted (edited)

Whew! does the NYT ever hate Biden.  The way they take every opportunity in word choice and slant is disgusting, if it wasn't so disparing for me.  The way they framed just the debate story, lordessa.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/15/us/politics/trump-biden-debate-june.html

It's all about the dreadful state of Biden, his polling etc.  Not a word about any chances the stinkin' heap might be taking to go on national tv live and perform the incoherent, involuntary word peristalsis everywhere he 'talks' these day.

So, what has his campaign got up to here -- I can't believe they are going to let him go be him.  Of course there are the teleprompters.  Or maybe he'll have surrogates like they've toted in for trial here this week.  The judge is very POed about that, btw -- his way of getting around the gag orders against trashing in ugly ways the judge and the prosecution and the witnesses.  

Edited by Zorral

Supposedly, Cohen's testimony against Trump today was absolutely devastating according to a short clip that flashed across my screen. Dare we hope for conviction and something resembling prison time?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

and something resembling prison time?

:frown5: highly doubt it as he'd be / should be doing time already if it were possible :frown5:

And CNN says that more and more the nation is liking the idea of him in the White House.  :bang:

Edited by Zorral

9 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Supposedly, Cohen's testimony against Trump today was absolutely devastating according to a short clip that flashed across my screen. Dare we hope for conviction and something resembling prison time?

Fingers crossed. I heard someone say  that judge Merchan is very tough on white collar crime b/c people committing these types of crimes have enjoyed more privileges than the average citizen. I can't for the life of me remember who said that though...

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

:frown5: highly doubt it as he'd be / should be doing time already if it were possible :frown5:

And CNN says that more and more the nation is liking the idea of him in the White House.  :bang:

My New Year prediction stands: Biden wins reelection. The Democratic Party retakes the House and holds onto the Senate. 

People here and elsewhere keep forgetting just how much Trump is loathed - and that he continually ticks off the people he needs to win.  

29 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

My New Year prediction stands: Biden wins reelection. The Democratic Party retakes the House and holds onto the Senate. 

People here and elsewhere keep forgetting just how much Trump is loathed - and that he continually ticks off the people he needs to win.  

I, like millions, fervently hope you are right!

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I, like millions, fervently hope you are right!

Probably wrong. I'd bet a clean sweep for Republicans over one for Dems, and even if Dems do hold on to what they have, Repubs will probably sweep 2028. 

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Probably wrong. I'd bet a clean sweep for Republicans over one for Dems, and even if Dems do hold on to what they have, Repubs will probably sweep 2028. 

Demographics do not favor Republicans even in the intermediate term. And they are going out of their way to make themselves unpopular now. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

So…Republicans will, eventually, win within this decade.  Hot take!

24 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Demographics do not favor Republicans even in the intermediate term. And they are going out of their way to make themselves unpopular now. 

Doesn't seem to matter.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

So…Republicans will, eventually, win within this decade.  Hot take!

Thing is it should be a hot take if voters were sane. 

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You are assuming, incorrectly, that Trump and Trumpanistas give a flying fuck about the limitations of the 22nd Amendment.  I’ve seen them claim, speciously, that a failed effort to remove a President from office means they get another term.  I ask for they basis for such an assertion and get told to “do my own research”…

:shocked:

They don't but it's just going to be too hard to pull off Trumps not gonna be allowed to be a candidate and that will be the that. The time to overthrow American democracy was 2020 if it didn't happen then it's not happening.

7 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

The polling for Biden is absolutely horrible right now. I think people underestimate how much the general public of the United states if filled with horrible and ignorant people.

https://x.com/gelliottmorris/status/1790815293524099481?s=46&t=vs0NVT2kLVsJAr1LOX25kw

42 minutes ago, Dawn Vibration said:

The polling for Biden is absolutely horrible right now. I think people underestimate how much the general public of the United states if filled with horrible and ignorant people.

I think people don’t understand that being within 1.7 points of three states that would win you the electoral college is not “absolutely horrible.”

23 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Trump-packed Supreme Court says hello. 

Hell, he's got a lawyer that has made arguments twice now, the last one to SCOTUS, where they said that orchestrating a coup and killing political rivals should fall under official actions of the president. Project 2025 wants to install Trump loyalists all over the place to poison the well and make sure they can hammer home what ever they want to do.

2 hours ago, Dawn Vibration said:

I think people underestimate how much the general public of the United states if filled with horrible and ignorant people.

Only in the US.