US Politics: Swindler's List

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

I haven't lived in North Carolina for some years now, but I would say that it is my state and they are my people, for better or worse. North Carolina is a purple state that has been artificially red due to a lot of gerrymandering. It used to be Democratically-run, but once the GOP got into power, they pulled out all the stops to keep themselves in power. 

NC has been entirely captured by the crazies.  This time around they will be the first to secede, not SC -- though I wouldn't be afraid to hedge my bet on that by laying down wagers on TX to be first too.

P.S. who is a vp pick for the stinkin' heap is irrelevant to anything and matters not at all.  Nor will the debates, unless one of them has a heart attack on screen, or shits his diaper, as one of them is in full out dementia and full out insanity.

Edited by Zorral

Supreme Court upholds CFPB funding, saving agency
The closely watched case had threatened to not only curtail the power of the bureau but also to disrupt financial markets.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/16/supreme-court-upholds-cfpb-funding-saving-agency-00158348

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s funding stream, which bypasses the congressional appropriations process, is constitutional, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday, saving the controversial agency from a potentially devastating blow.

The high court, in a 7-2 decision, rejected an argument by payday lenders that Congress’s decision more than a decade ago to insulate the CFPB from the annual budget debate ran afoul of the Constitution’s clause concerning appropriations of federal money. The closely watched case had threatened to not only curtail the power of the bureau but also to disrupt financial markets by casting doubt on the functions of other independently funded regulators across the government.

Trump’s VP pick does matter inasmuch as that person will then have a significantly better chance to be the future leader of the party.  However, I don’t see much point in speculating who that person will be.  The decision is entirely up to Trump, and I really don’t like trying to discern what goes on in that head.

19 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Supreme Court upholds CFPB funding, saving agency
The closely watched case had threatened to not only curtail the power of the bureau but also to disrupt financial markets.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/16/supreme-court-upholds-cfpb-funding-saving-agency-00158348

Does this suggest the SCOTUS will not gut the federal regulatory regime?  As someone in an industry governed by CFPB it does offer some serious regulation.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Trump’s VP pick does matter inasmuch as that person will then have a significantly better chance to be the future leader of the party.  However, I don’t see much point in speculating who that person will be.  The decision is entirely up to Trump, and I really don’t like trying to discern what goes on in that head.

I have to think he’ll go with a non-entity like Pence again.  He hates giving anyone else the spotlight.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I have to think he’ll go with a non-entity like Pence again.  He hates giving anyone else the spotlight.

Exactly.  Which is why it doesn't matter really.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well, even if that’s the case, it will still significantly elevate that person’s chances - like, say, Doug Burgam or Elise Stefanik.  As long as Trump doesn’t turn on that person like Pence, of course.  Always possible, but should be noted the reason for that has pretty much been negated by the 2022 ECA reform.

I’d also hasten to note that while Pence was known as “boring” and thus would not compete with Trump for the spotlight, he was hardly a “non entity.”  He was governor of Indiana and former member of House GOP leadership.

In a world where Trump doesn’t turn on Pence and doesn’t run in 2024, Pence starts off the primary season as the presumed frontrunner.

A VP pick is unimportant when it comes to deciding the outcome of the election, but is extremely important for what happens post-election. In the scale of awfulness, I'd prefer a Pence clone to a Noem or Lake batsh*t crazy loon. Regardless of Pence's faults, he is still 'wrong within normal parameters' to quote the late P. J . O'Rourke.

Biden, campaign, polls -- and ya, debates:

Shared link:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/a-quick-survey-of-numbers-vibes-and-the-inner-lives-of-campaigns/sharetoken/KrbqF0mrzk7f

And yet Trump was happy to say yes really fast even on terms that probably weren’t of his choosing. The best summary of this whole thing — and the best game-theory unwrapping of it since, well, it can’t be in both their interests to debate can it? — came from Jonathan Last in the Bulwark. (If you’re not familiar with it it’s essentially the new home of the Never-Trump survivors of the collapse of The Weekly Standard.)

He writes:

All in all, yesterday’s move […] sends a few encouraging signals about the Biden campaign:

They recognize the reality of their standing in the race.
They aren’t panicking and grasping for a “reset.” They have a theory of the campaign.
But they’re also nimble enough to look for tactical advantages that can be picked up on the fly.
They’re confident enough in Biden’s abilities that they’re letting him debate Trump twice.
There are a dozen things the Biden campaign could/should be doing better.² But that’s true of every campaign. Overall announcement was encouraging.

Concluding paragraph:

.... Needless to say, being a point or at most two back six months before the election is not that situation. You absolutely don’t want your campaign doubting its theory of the election or its strategy, “making changes” as they say. Especially when it is a good theory of the election (which I take to be: use key issues to consolidate fractures in the D coalition and focus everyone on the binary choice between Biden and Trump). But you do want to remain on the offensive and be on the lookout for opportunities to create moments of volatility in which existing strategies can get traction. And like Last, I think this debate move is a good example of that. Stay on offense, always on offense. Maximize the time you’re acting rather than reacting.

4 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

In the scale of awfulness, I'd prefer a Pence clone to a Noem or Lake batsh*t crazy loon. Regardless of Pence's faults, he is still 'wrong within normal parameters' to quote the late P. J . O'Rourke.

Well, per reports Trump has ruled out Lake.  And Noem has essentially taken herself out of the running.  Of the names currently being bandied about, the only ones I’d describe as batshit are Vance and Ramaswamy - although I highly doubt he’ll choose the latter.  I suppose Stefanik too, but her turn seems much more based on opportunism - she used to be within the parameters of PJ’s quote.

Republicans Flock to Trump’s Trial, Risking Control of the House Floor
On Thursday, an entourage of about 20 accompanied the former president to court. Among them were many lawmakers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/16/nyregion/republicans-gaetz-trump-trial.html

I want to know how they get admitted to the limited seating of the courtroom, when others, including press, line up in the wee hours to reserve a place in line to get in.

Well, those who seem to believe they're reasonably [HA!] likely to be the Veritable Prick, have all arrived at the NYC state criminal courthouse this week.  Johnson, who lurves the rhetoric of the KKK and never fears to employ it,  clearly sees it being him.

34 minutes ago, mormont said:

Trump turns on everyone, in the end. Except Ivanka, and even that can't be ruled out. A more fickle man has never walked the earth.

This is a convenient generalization but it isn’t actually true.  Indeed, this cycle he’s changed course and endorsed certain Senate candidates who have previously crossed him - most prominently Mike Rogers in Michigan and David McCormick in Pennsylvania - because he understands they give the GOP the best chance to win.  He’s also buried the hatchet with DeSantis.

Trump is purely transactional.  No more, no less.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Does this suggest the SCOTUS will not gut the federal regulatory regime?  As someone in an industry governed by CFPB it does offer some serious regulation.

Not really, I think it just means they won't gut this funding mechanism, but it is good news for consumers. I don't think they are done attacking the EPA. And for example there is a crazy case where they want to ban the use of Administrative law judges in federal agencies.

Not sure if this has already been shared, but here is a convenient hub for Americans who want to do something to keep Trump from returning to power:

https://votesaveamerica.com/

Donate your time to canvassing or phone banking, or donate money to key races, or some combination!

Your one vote is appreciated, but it can't just can't compare to systematic social influence. Let's be proactive!

• Ran locked this topic