"The Silmarillion" reference: Long Night

In The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien, the term “Long Night” is used in relation to the time of darkness in Middle-earth between Melkor's destruction of the Lamps during the Days before days and the Second Spring of Arda during the First Age of Awakening.

Given how there are many references to Tolkien in ASOIAF and how well known Tolkien and his writings are, I believe that it should be mentioned that the term “Long Night” in ASOIAF was likely influenced by the term in The Silmarillion.

I don't think so, the "Long Night" is a pretty generic term to describe a bad period after all. I'm not very well versed in Tolkien's legendarium but I don't think Martin explicitly referenced Tolkien here, it seems to be more of a coïncidence to me.

When I think of Tolkien homages/references in ASOIAF, I think more of Sauron Salt-Tongue, House Roxton of the Rings, or Ser Gladden Wylde. But I'm sure they are other references I did not catch.

The return of Azor Ahai is similar to Turin return when he will kill Melkor using Anglechiel.

Feanor and Nymeria, both burned the fleet after landing in a new land.

But the return of Azor Ahai and Turin are probably a reference of Christ return , the same for Feanor and Nymeria , they are probably a reference to Cortes landing in the new world

On 5/14/2024 at 10:05 AM, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

When I think of Tolkien homages/references in ASOIAF, I think more of Sauron Salt-Tongue, House Roxton of the Rings, or Ser Gladden Wylde.

Marillion is probably the most on point.  But Sam seems a near second.  

And im sure there are many more parallels im not thinking of right now.