UK politics, No sex please, we're bigots!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-69013002

Just what i was hoping the government would prioritise over the coming months.  

At the top of the BBC page alone there are stories about

• Windermere having toxic waste pumped into it
  • a huge surge in middle aged obesity
  • children with anorexia having to travel 100 miles for treatment
  • the son of a Windrush victim being asked for DNA to prove that was his father
  • renters having problems finding suitable accommodation
  • hospitals leaving patients in corridors to free up ambulances. 

But what is the tory priority, making sure kids don't hear about the birds and the bees, or discussing gender identity. 

FUCKING WANKERS. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, just seen in; particularly "liked" this bit

The Telegraph also reported that the guidance will make clear that “gender ideology” involving discussions regarding changes of gender is a “contested subject”, and that teachers must say that there are two biological sexes.

So - you must acknowledge that it's a contested subject, and that there are two sides to the debate, so you must only tell our side of it.

Telegraph can fuck right off (and not for the first time)

Oh, and absolutely no talk of contraception before the age of 13 seems to be leaving things a tad late.

Edited by Which Tyler

1 minute ago, Which Tyler said:

Oh, and absolutely no talk of contraception before the age of 13 seems to be leaving things a tad late.

I do some work with secondary schools, its far far far far far too late.  it should be given to year 6's just before they move up. 

44 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Yeah, just seen in; particularly "liked" this bit

So - you must acknowledge that it's a contested subject, and that there are two sides to the debate, so you must only tell our side of it.

Telegraph can fuck right off (and not for the first time)

I mean the other thread on the topic got closed but if any teacher starts saying there are more than 2 biological sexes then they need to be fired for incompetence.

Posted (edited)

Or knowing more than you do.

Trisomy of 23rd pair, exists (XXX, XXY, XYY).
Intersex-at-birth exists.

It's almost like... there are more than 2 biological sexes.

Or do you also agree that there are only 2 elements in the universe, because approximately (apologies any physicists / chemists if I've got this wrong) 98.3% of all elements are Hydrogen or Helium; so the "everything else" is just a statistical abnormally... a rounding error... not worth bothering about, anyone teaching about them needs to be fired for incompetence.

Please note, trisomy and intersex =/= trans.

Edited by Which Tyler
mis-spelled trisomy

5 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Or knowing more than you do.

Trisomy 47 exists.
Intersex-at-birth exists.

It's almost like... there are more than 2 biological sexes.

Or do you also agree that there are only 2 elements in the universe, because approximately (apologies any physicists / chemists if I've got this wrong) 98.3% of all elements are Hydrogen or Helium; so the "everything else" is just a statistical abnormally... a rounding error... not worth bothering about, anyone teaching about them needs to be fired for incompetence.

Please note, trisomy and intersex =/= trans.

Sigh.

Yeah, not going to re-litigate this nonsense. Intersex conditions do not prove the existence of a third sex. Honestly it's terrifying that people keep saying this stuff.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-69013002

Just what i was hoping the government would prioritise over the coming months.  

At the top of the BBC page alone there are stories about

• Windermere having toxic waste pumped into it
  • a huge surge in middle aged obesity
  • children with anorexia having to travel 100 miles for treatment
  • the son of a Windrush victim being asked for DNA to prove that was his father
  • renters having problems finding suitable accommodation
  • hospitals leaving patients in corridors to free up ambulances. 

But what is the tory priority, making sure kids don't hear about the birds and the bees, or discussing gender identity. 

FUCKING WANKERS. 

It's what... Barely 10 years since the Tories under Cameron passed marriage equality understanding that shoring up the institution of marriage is actually a conservative idea? Jfc it's turned around in a hurry.

I guess when you're fucking up everything else you smash that culture war button with all you've got.

Posted (edited)

I always find the line of reasoning that a government shouldnt be doing a thing until it’s fixed all the other things that are wrong in a country, a bit odd. It’s just a convenient stick to beat them with. 

Does someone have easy fixes for the obesity crisis or problems for renters? Would be great to know them. 

It’s obviously easier to get rid of gender ideology being taught in schools, that’s something much simpler to control, and yes the Tories can signal that they are doing something about it.

As for ‘bashing the culture war button’ , yes they do that, but I don’t really see it as a problem. You don’t get the Cass review without some level of cultural intervention. Also which political parties aren’t hitting the culture war button all the time? The SNP have been doing it endlessly, but then apparently its only culture war when its things you don’t agree with, otherwise its just sensible policies. 

Point is, the Tories are just generally incompetent at fixing problems, that’s the real issue. 

Edited by Heartofice

Posted (edited)

Teachers seem to generally be more alarmed at the idea of banning sex education for under 9s than the other connotations (since they note they don't exactly go around handing out "how to change your gender" leaflets in the first place).

Puberty can kick in at around 9. A girl in my class at primary school - a Catholic primary school in the 1980s so ha ha ha on us knowing anything - started her puberty at 9 and it freaked the hell out of her because she didn't know what was going on. I didn't have any sex education of any kind until the first year of secondary school, although my parents had a fumbling go at explaining the birds and the bees a bit before then.

Now working in Safeguarding, there's a common pattern of children suffering abuse not being able to recognise that abuse until they get into sex education and the parts of it about the age to be exploring that stuff and consent, and they abruptly realise something horrible has been happening to them and they can then report it. Pulling the age at which sex education can start upwards could actively stop some of that early abuse coming to light.

I don't even think they expect any of this stuff to stick, it's just a last-minute thing they can do so Labour can reverse it and they can then paint them as weird sickos (despite the Tories having 14 years themselves to do something about it and they didn't, because they were actually listening to the experts up until recently).

Edited by Werthead

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Puberty can kick in at around 9. A girl in my class at primary school - a Catholic primary school in the 1980s so ha ha ha on us knowing anything - started her puberty at 9 and it freaked the hell out of her because she didn't know what was going on.

Reminds me of a tweet from a while ago;

I thought women had their periods forever. When my first period stopped I assumed the neighbours’ dog impregnated me when I pet him. For a month I believed myself to be carrying a half human half dog baby. This story is brought to you by Ontario Catholic School Sex Ed in the 90s.

Posted (edited)

It's about time, frankly.

Please do something about the illegal motorised cycles and scooters, too.

UK to introduce new offence of causing death or injury by dangerous cycling

A new offence of causing death or serious injury by dangerous, careless or inconsiderate cycling is to be introduced.

The law will be changed after a deal was reached between the government and the former Conservative leader, Iain Duncan Smith, whose amendment to the criminal justice bill was backed by 37 fellow Tory backbenchers.

Moves to make it an offence to cause death by dangerous cycling are “urgent” and are not “anti-cycling”, Duncan Smith told MPs on Wednesday, as he referenced the death of Kim Briggs in 2016.

She died in hospital a week after Charlie Alliston collided with her in east London on his fixed-gear bike, which illegally had no front brake.

Edited by Spockydog

HOI - Its not exactly revelatory that someone who agrees with all the culture war shit would approve of them smashing the culture war button.

To throw back to the King Charles portrait from last thread I actually really like it as a work of art, but its a bit of a weird choice as an official monarch portrait. Also I had no idea he was an Elden Ring fan, going with the Lake of Rot was a bold choice.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

It's about time, frankly.

Please do something about the illegal motorised cycles and scooters, too.

UK to introduce new offence of causing death or injury by dangerous cycling

About 2.5 pedestrians a year are killed by cyclists, 400 by motorised vehicles. 80% of accidents between cars and cyclists are the drivers fault, and almost 100% of the time the cyclist comes off worst. But let's demonise the people with firm buttocks. 

But yeah, fuck scooter riders.