Who is the most dangerous character in A Song of Ice and Fire?

Fun thought experiment.

Which character is most dangerous, overall, within this world?  Post your picks....or if you want, post why you think somebody should not be on the list.  And....potential matters, so if a character isn't at full power yet but there's foreshadowing of future abilities, include that if you like.

For me:

Dangerous, but not top-tier:

Dany:  No doubt she's extremely inluential, but she's got a huge target on her back because she's the only one with dragons.  Dragons can be killed, particularly when they're younger, but more importantly.....Dany is very vulnerable.  Separated from her dragons, or particularly if caught unawares without her guards....she's a teenage girl with no martial ability. Thus far, attempts on her life have failed largely due to people underestimating her...and blind luck, but that won't last forever.  And, despite being very clever, she does not have any experience with open battle....and is thus unable to fully use the advantage that dragons provide against armies.

Bran: Without a doubt, Bran is the most naturally skilled Warg and Greenseer in the world.  He's a young boy and he's already doing things that Bloodraven thinks are impossible. However....the price that he's paid to reach the full extent of those abilities means that he's given up the ability to be a direct threat.  He can warg Summer, which is no joke...but he's a child, doesn't know the use of tactics, and he's not going to be old enough by the end of the story to have developed those things.  He may end up being the most influential person, due to his unfettered access to knowledge....which is power; he's not directly dangerous though.  More like, he's going to provide a world-changing benefit to his cousin, Jon.

Honorable mentions:

Jon Snow: Clearly he's not anywhere near his potential yet, but it certainly seems that he's going to have a trifecta of dangerous traits.  He's a powerful, if untrained, warg, who will likely be an extremely proficient warg if the theory that he's currently residing in Ghost is correct.  That's a hell of an extended practice session.  He's an excellent swordsman, rider and good  tactician, and he's probably going to be adding a Dragon to his toolkit as well.  His extreme sense of Honor also makes him unpredictable...which can be a strong plus or minus.

Euron Greyjoy: He's the dark echo of Jon.  We have evidence, but no proof, that he is a warg (and possibly a Bran-level one, if he's actually warging the Dusky Woman.)  He seems to have some of the same vision capabilities as Bran, though without direct access to the Weirwoods. He's an excellent warrior and master naval commander, and despite his abject evil, he's extremely charismatic, a born leader.  He's also rich enough to hire a Faceless man, and unpredictable because he's insane.

Most Dangerous:

Yeah, this one will be controversial...particularly because I don't actually believe this character is going to end up having nearly as much impact on the overall story as any of the above characters....but if he were motivated to do so...he could kill any of them...

Jaqen Ha'ghar/Faceless Man in Westeros:  We don't know for sure if Jaqen is the same character who's impersonating Pate, but the evidence supports it. I suspect that this same Faceless Man was responsible for the death of Balon Greyjoy...He's missing from the story for the better part of a year after parting ways with Arya....enough time to kill Balon and then travel to Old Town.  If that's true...it appears that he, for whatever reason, may be coordinating with Euron.  Euron is about to try to do some crazy stuff at Old Town...and the Faceless Man is actively looking for information on dragons...in Old Town...which would be extremely important to Euron, who seeks to control them. They appear to either have similar goals....or actually be working together.  But what really makes this particular Faceless Man dangerous is his suite of abilities.  He's a master poisoner, he can assume any disguise he wants, nobody, not even the reader, knows who he is, and he's got an unlimited number of ways to kill.  In terms of raw power....he's far less powerful than any of the other characters I've mentioned...but he's dangerous because of his anonymity and his ability to kill in secret.  If it served his purpose, he could kill anyone else on this list without anyone even knowing.

Lord Stannis in particular. His claim is the true one, he is known for his prowess as a battle commander, and he is utterly without mercy. There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.

Stannis will be the big bad in the end.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

The Night King : he wants to destroy every life , he leads an horde of undead wildings and beasts 

Ramsay Snow : there is no need to explain

Cersei : she started doing things with wildfire, she restored the Faith, destroyed the tower of the hand 

Yes, the Night’s King is the most dangerous because he controls the barrier between the Others and Westeros. The NK is Jon Snow. This traitor will open the gates for the Others. 

I would like to emphasize that most dangerous doesn’t equal to most powerful. The Night’s King, Jon Snow that is, is the most dangerous because of who and where he is. But Jon himself is not powerful. 

Edited by Darth Sidious

31 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Ramsay Snow : there is no need to explain

I get what you mean but I'd disagree that Ramsay is amongst the most dangerous characters, because his ability to cause damage on a large scale is limited especially in comparison to others. While he is unpredictable and certainly threatening on an individual or smaller scale, he lacks the ability to threaten large scale damage unlike Daenerys, Euron or Bran, or Cersei with the wildfire etc.

I think there is a zeitgeist on this forum that overrates the Faceless Men and has come to view them as some kind of unstoppable deus ex machina plot ticket that can do anything to anyone at functionally any time. I am more sceptical, and not just because that kind of omnipotence seems out of kilter with the themes of the story and setting.

In terms of ability to inflict damage, which to me is what signifies dangerousness, then we have to take Daenerys very seriously because even if she is individually vulnerable she can cause destruction on a scale unlike any other character has yet demonstrated. However, Dany also seems to be fundamentally well-intentioned*, whereas Euron has powers we haven't yet come to fully appreciate and is absolutely using them for the purposes of Evil.

While in terms of personal power level Mel doesn't seem to be in the same tier, her religion and its black/white approach to things at least appears to be misguided (again, a black/white dualist approach seems at odds with the wider themes) and the actions that result - burning weirwoods, etc. may actually make her one of the more dangerous figures for those trying to sustain humanity. We'll have to see.

*Course, this may just come to make her even worse: there's nobody so dangerous as one who believes they are fundamentally in the right.

34 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

I think there is a zeitgeist on this forum that overrates the Faceless Men and has come to view them as some kind of unstoppable deus ex machina plot ticket that can do anything to anyone at functionally any time. I am more sceptical, and not just because that kind of omnipotence seems out of kilter with the themes of the story and setting.

In terms of ability to inflict damage, which to me is what signifies dangerousness, then we have to take Daenerys very seriously because even if she is individually vulnerable she can cause destruction on a scale unlike any other character has yet demonstrated. However, Dany also seems to be fundamentally well-intentioned*, whereas Euron has powers we haven't yet come to fully appreciate and is absolutely using them for the purposes of Evil.

While in terms of personal power level Mel doesn't seem to be in the same tier, her religion and its black/white approach to things at least appears to be misguided (again, a black/white dualist approach seems at odds with the wider themes) and the actions that result - burning weirwoods, etc. may actually make her one of the more dangerous figures for those trying to sustain humanity. We'll have to see.

*Course, this may just come to make her even worse: there's nobody so dangerous as one who believes they are fundamentally in the right.

Euron is in a league of his own, I think.  He sees himself as some kind of eldritch Demi-God, who revels in chaos and suffering for its own sake, and may well make common cause with the Others.

Dany, however ruthless, has clear goals that can be satisfied.  She may however, be dangerous in another way.  To many slaves and followers of R’hllor, she is a messianic figure.  They may wage holy war in her name, regardless of her wishes.

5 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

Yes, I don't think they're particularly powerful.....that's why I drew a distinction between power and danger.  I just think that....if Jaqen DID decide to kill some of our main characters....he'd very likely pull it off.  For plot reasons, I don't see it happening - it would be very unsatisfying and he also does not appear to have any reason to do it....but I think he quite easily could.

2 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

We do not know what happened to Cannibal. So there is a very small possibility that (s?)he is still around. 

Definitely my fave dragon in the whole series....and I'm REALLY looking forward to it if they do feature him in House of the Dragon.  It's basically impossible that he'd still be alive at this point though.  He only ever lived on Dragonstone and nobody has seen him since shortly after the Dance of the Dragons era.  Given that he was the oldest living dragon at the time, he likely died of old age, his corpse secluded away in one of the seaside caves he lived in on Dragonstone.

I agree with Euron, Cersei, and Daenerys for the reasons stated: Euron's total evil and likely access to magic; Cersei for political authority combined with narcissism and instability; and Daenerys with her dragons and a sense of righteousness.

I would like to suggest Littlefinger as someone to watch closely.  His meddling was a major cause for the War of the five kings, and he seems to thrive on chaos and stirring up trouble.  He also doesn't care who gets hurt, as long as it's not him.  He's unpredictable and uncaring.  Even worse, nobody seems to realize how truly bad and dangerous he really is.  Even Jaime, who is sensible and knowledgeable, thinks Littlefinger would make a good Hand.

Euron scares me the most, out of all the characters you mentioned. Something about the character just seems scary and magical at the same time. Almost like he's the only military leader in the series who knows how to weaponize magic. There's no proof of this yet, but let's be real, without some type of magic his has no chance of winning the current battle he's in.

Posted (edited)

I would also like to nominate Varys.  We know next to nothing about him, but he is definitely powerful enough to cause trouble if he wants.  Given how little we know of his objectives or the means he is willing to use to achieve them, I would definitely classify him as having the potential to be very dangerous indeed.

Edited by Nevets

5 hours ago, Nevets said:

I would also like to nominate Varys.  We know next to nothing about him, but he is definitely powerful enough to cause trouble if he wants.  Given how little we know of his objectives or the means he is willing to use to achieve them, I would definitely classify him as having the potential to be very dangerous indeed.

He's definitely in the running....though, unless he's secretly a faceless man, he's more of an enabler.  Not a bad pick though.

5 hours ago, sifth said:

Shouldn’t Blood Raven be on this list?

No.....but not because he's not important.  I was trying to draw a distinction between the concepts of dangerous, powerful....and I didn't say it, but I'd add "influential" to the list of things.  I think it'd be hard to argue that, in the last 100 years, Blood Raven has been the most influential person....and probably the most influential person in the last 4000+ years.

I was trying to suss-out.....hmmm...how to put it. Out of every character, who would be the most dangerous if their specific mission was to kill you.  Back when Bloodraven was not part of a tree...he'd have been my first pick.  He killed the entire male family line of the Blackfyres himself...but he's in a tree now.

That's why I picked who I did.  If Jaqen's specific mission was to kill you....well....he's killed a bunch of people, including a King....and nobody other than the reader even knows it was him.  You can run away from Cersie, Dany, Jon Snow....all of them. But if Jaqen wants you dead...and you don't know about it....well...you're dead.

14 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

Who?

The Night King is a legend character in ASOAIF, a lord commander of the night watch, married the "Corpse Queen" with skin pale as milk, he had sorcery, and created evil actions, eventally he was defected by Brandon the Nreaker and Joramun, he was also disvered to make offering to the Others.

In HBO game of shows, there was also a character named the Night King, who was the leader of the Others and wanted to invade the South, so there was confusion if the Night King would also show up in ASOIAF, however GRRM stated that he wanted the Night King to remain a legend figure, like Bran the Builder.

"As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have."

He said this in the first comment of this post.