Do you think that Jon Connington cares for Young Griff?

Posted (edited)

Connington is always reflecting on his failures towards Rhaegar, he seems to only view the boy as a extention of his dead prince, but he lived as a father of Young Griff for years, trained him, saw him growing up.

The two most tragic fates that I can picture for the character(and he reeks of tragedy) is he finally getting the boy on the throne, just to find out he is a impostor, and he was just played by Varys and all his efforts were useless or a even worse case is if he really cares about the boy, and because he is hiding his greyscale he ends up infecting the very man he is devoting himself.

So do you think that Jon Connington cares for Young Griff as a person or he just sees him as a instrument of his redemption?

Edited by Arthur Peres

“I failed the father,” he [Connington] said, “but I will not fail the son.” (Dance 61)

It seems clear that Connington loved Rhaegar. If so, then whether or not he loves Young Griff personally, his motivation to put the boy on the Iron Throne is driven by love ... if he does indeed believe that Young Griff is really Rhaegar's son. I discussed this question in some detail in a post of my own a while back.

I found that it's possible that Young Griff is an impostor, and that Connington knows it. If so, then perhaps he has no love for the boy, and sees him nearly as a tool to avenge Rhaegar. But it's also possible that, over the years of raising him, Connington came to love him.

So after all that rumination and beard-scratching, I don't have a Yes or No answer. Connington only has one POV chapter; and his personality is not one that can be described as affectionate, emotional, or outgoing. So it's difficult  to judge how he feels about the boy.

Love, of course, is a tricky subject, a difficult word to define. My own thinking about that is that the warm fuzzy feeling that we call "love" is distinct and separate from the actions that we take towards a person. Regardless of what he may feel inside, it's clear that Connington has made great sacrifices to give the boy a good upbringing and a successful future, more than what most parents do for their children. By that measure, I would say that yes, Connington loves Young Griff.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Aebram said:

So after all that rumination and beard-scratching, I don't have a Yes or No answer. Connington only has one POV chapter; and his personality is not one that can be described as affectionate, emotional, or outgoing. So it's difficult  to judge how he feels about the boy.

Actually he  has two chapters. The Lost Lord and the Griffin Reborn.

Edited by sifth

14 hours ago, sifth said:

Actually he actually has two chapters. The Lost Lord and the Griffin Reborn.

Oops, sorry, you're right. How did I miss that???

But I just reread that chapter, and I don't see anything in there that disagrees with what I wrote in my last comment.

18 hours ago, Aebram said:

I found that it's possible that Young Griff is an impostor, and that Connington knows it. If so, then perhaps he has no love for the boy, and sees him nearly as a tool to avenge Rhaegar. But it's also possible that, over the years of raising him, Connington came to love him.

I really doubt that he knows that is a fake. Like yourself posted "“I failed the father,” he said, “but I will not fail the son.” Is very clear that for him Aegon is Rhaegar's son. I also don't see any clear affection for the boy.

Jon tried to approach his family in Westeros and ended in a embarrassing dinner with him sending his cousins into house arrest. For me that shows that he is not a cold merciless like Tywin, and that he wants to have connections, but he does not really show it to Aegon despite pretty much raising the him, and with his obssession with revenge, his time ending due to Greyscale, Jon could doom Aegon quest trying to fuffil his own ambitions instead of really helping what he wants to protect.

Posted (edited)

Connington was gay, and he loved Rhaegar.  I think that's pretty clear.

From his own perspective....he believes that Faegon IS actually Aegon.  There's no hint of doubt, no trepidation.  He's on board, 100%

He's been fooled....but his feelings are genuine.  He really does think that he's honoring the wishes of his....crush, I suppose.

I almost hope that he dies without ever finding out.  What a terrible thing.....to learn that you've fostered somebody, as a son, who is the literal antithesis of what you thought you were supporting.

So...does he know?  I don't think he does.  I also think he's a monumental idiot, not to have noticed that all the people supporting Faegon are the same people who supported the Blackfyres.  So...yeah....he's an idiot.  Even Ser Duncan was able to identify Blackfyre plots.  Jon Connington is the definition of a useful idiot.

What a tragic character.  He's been duped into supporting the very people who wish to destroy everything he thinks he loves.  The only possible upside is that he might unintentionally wreck their plans, because he's bringing greyscale to King's Landing.

Edited by Ring3r

10 hours ago, Ring3r said:

Connington was gay, and he loved Rhaegar.  I think that's pretty clear.

From his own perspective....he believes that Faegon IS actually Aegon.  There's no hint of doubt, no trepidation.  He's on board, 100%

He's been fooled....but his feelings are genuine.  He really does think that he's honoring the wishes of his....crush, I suppose.

I almost hope that he dies without ever finding out.  What a terrible thing.....to learn that you've fostered somebody, as a son, who is the literal antithesis of what you thought you were supporting.

So...does he know?  I don't think he does.  I also think he's a monumental idiot, not to have noticed that all the people supporting Faegon are the same people who supported the Blackfyres.  So...yeah....he's an idiot.  Even Ser Duncan was able to identify Blackfyre plots.  Jon Connington is the definition of a useful idiot.

What a tragic character.  He's been duped into supporting the very people who wish to destroy everything he thinks he loves.  The only possible upside is that he might unintentionally wreck their plans, because he's bringing greyscale to King's Landing.

Calling Rhaegar a crush kinda cheapens that relationship. It's clearly unrequited love from JC -- that much you are 100% correct on -- but Rhaegar considered him one of his closest friends, they squired together, and eventually JC squired for Rhaegar.