Which of the many "credit only" characters listed in the appendices do you think has an interesting story?

The biggest one which sticks out for me is Aegon "Bloodborn" Frey, the outlaw. He's Aenys Frey's eldest son, and we know almost nothing else about him.

I'd be very interested in learning more about this guy. How did he get a nickname like that? What does it mean? What did he do to become an outlaw? What's he been up to while the main events have played out? Does he know what really happened at the Red Wedding? What does he feel about it? 

Posted (edited)

Also, another one, I know GRRM just slipped this guy in as a reference to his buddy, but there's also Ronald the Bad. I want to know the in-uni reason why he's known by that moniker and why Edmure would still want to hang out with him.

Edited by Canon Claude

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

The biggest one which sticks out for me is Aegon "Bloodborn" Frey, the outlaw. He's Aenys Frey's eldest son, and we know almost nothing else about him.

I'd be very interested in learning more about this guy. How did he get a nickname like that? What does it mean? What did he do to become an outlaw? What's he been up to while the main events have played out? Does he know what really happened at the Red Wedding? What does he feel about it? 

Yeah, he was the first one who came to mind for me.

I think there are some untapped interesting stories in the Stormlords. I would like to know more about Gulian Swann, the Wyldes and the Selmy family, among others.

Ser Jon Cupps intrigues me. 

Like, what is up with Leyton Hightower and his daughters? On the one hand, he marries one off to the head of House Tyrell and another to the head of House Ambrose. Those make sense for a house as prestigious as the Hightowers. But the others? A random knight of House Redwyne, the head of the smallest noble house in the North, and some knight from House Cupps? We don’t even know where House Cupps actually is! I can sort of see why Leyton would give his youngest daughter to Jorah Mormont, he was the head of his house, a war hero, and a tourney champion to boot. But Jon Cupps? What’s his story???

I'm curious about Titus Peake. Married to a Lannister and still the Lord of Starpike. House Peake pissed off four generations of Targaryen kings, and even killed one of them with their last uprising, but Titus still has Starpike? Starpike is still standing? House Peake still exists? 

6 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I'm curious about Titus Peake. Married to a Lannister and still the Lord of Starpike. House Peake pissed off four generations of Targaryen kings, and even killed one of them with their last uprising, but Titus still has Starpike? Starpike is still standing? House Peake still exists? 

The only thing I can think of is that Starpike was awarded to some other family which died out and Tywin restored the Peakes - his relatives by marriage now - to Starpike when he was Hand. But then Aegon (the future Aegon V) stopped Lord Reyne from massacring the Peakes after the death of Maekar, even if Aegon's the last person you'd expect to go easy on them, so perhaps he let them off the hook (again!) for some inexplicable reason?

The Peake connection to the Lannisters and Reynes is interesting. The Lannisters have no more reason to love the Peakes than the Reynes do, but we have the Lannisters marrying them and the Reynes trying to wipe them out. We don't know how old Titus is, so it's not impossible that he was taken as a ward after the sack of Starpike by the Lannisters and that's how the connection with Margot arose - or perhaps his father was ("Titus" was no doubt an independently conceived Doylist name, but it also fits the Lannister pattern, being basically identical to Tytos, and so Titus could conceivably be named after Tywin's father).

Then again, House Peake don't appear in the AFfC or ADwD appendix, so maybe GRRM came up with them as a Gormenghast reference not intending ever to use them in the plot, then got stuck into D&E and the histories and decided it didn't make sense for them still to be around, so quietly edited them out.

Posted (edited)

@Alester Florent @Floki of the Ironborn

There is an offshoot branch of the Lannisters that we already know of from the first ASOIAF book: the unnamed Lannister male who married a Baratheon woman in 177-8 AC and appears likely to be an ancestor of the current Blackwoods. Descendants exist in at least 4 different families, probably more. So this may include one or both of Houses Peake and Reyne.

The use of the name Titus makes it possible that the current Titus Peake descends from this same Lannister back then, while the existence of an earlier Titus Peake during the Dance hints that earlier ties existed as well between Houses Lannister and Peake that pre-date the Dance (and pre-date also the period of House Peake antagonizing the crown). This would make some sense given that the Peakes and Lannisters were on the same side during the Dance and Aegon III's regency, serving on the Small Council together. It is possible that the first known Titus, Unwin's son, is the reason for the appearance of the modified version of this name (Tytos) in the Lannister family tree in the first place; either because he managed to have a daughter before he died who was fostered at Casterly Rock and married Loreon Lannister, or because a descendant of his sister Myrielle Peake married in to the Lannister family a short while later, during efforts to weave the Kingdoms back together again in the reign of Aegon III. Alternately, maybe the mother of Jason and Tyland was a Peake.

On 4/26/2024 at 5:45 PM, Hippocras said:

I wanted to add a couple of thoughts to the Blackwood discussion:

In the above post I looked at the name Tytos. We do not know what relationship Tytos Blackwood had to Alyssa Blackwood, who was Lord Walder Frey's 4th wife. She was probably his great-aunt, going by the fact that she died around the time Tytos was born having first borne 5 children. She would have married Walder around 265 AC (early in King Aerys II's reign).

The fact that her branch of the Frey family makes use of names with the Ty_ prefix as well (Tyta, Tysane), and furthermore has marriage alliances with the Brax family (who also use the name Tytos), and Lefford family (also of the Westerlands) further strengthens the evidence that the Blackwoods have some Lannister in their lineage.

The evidence is therefore mounting that the current Blackwoods descend from the unnamed Lannister male who married a Baratheon woman in 178 AC (30 years before Tya+Gowen, who were 76 years before Cersei+Robert), during Aegon IV's reign (while Jeyne Lothston served as his mistress, House Lothston ascendant). This nameless couple had 3 daughters and 1 son.

Edited by Hippocras