Which minor or obscure character do you think may end up playing a larger, or even pivotal role?

Posted (edited)

GRRM loves to do this.  Probably the best example is Bronn.  He was never intended to be anything other than a sellsword, but GRRM said he enjoyed writing the banter between him and Tyrion so much that he gave him a larger role.

We know we're not going to get any new POV characters aside from possibly prologue/epilogue characters from here on out..GRRM has said as much.  But that doesn't mean there wont be any more surprisingly important characters.

Who comes to mind for you as somebody who might end up getting a lot more focus?

My own pick is Tumco Lho.....a character so obscure that most people would have to look him up on the wiki to even remember who he is.  He's a freed slave that Barristan Selmy has been training.  According to Barristan, he's the most naturally talented swordsman he's seen since Jaime Lannister....which is pretty high praise.  I think this character is destined as a member of Dany's Queensguard.  As a freed slave, he may even be able to provide counsel to Dany regarding her decisions which involve the slaves she's freed, once she returns to Mereen.

Edited by Ring3r

Jeyne Poole (FArya) is my suggestion.  While not quite "six degrees of Kevin Bacon", she is connected to a ridiculous number of characters.  Sansa, Arya, and Littlefinger are the most obvious, but the Boltons, Stannis and Jon have ties as well.  The whip marks on her back and Theon telling her she needs to continue pretending to be Arya suggest her story has a ways to run yet.

She is currently on her way to the Wall in the company of two men who are heading on to Braavos.  Given Jon's current condition, it is likely they will be unable to meet, and she will head on to Braavos to avoid Ramsay.  

I think she could meet the real Arya and possibly be the catalyst for her return to Westeros.  The whip marks lead to Littlefinger so I see potential there, especially since I imagine Sansa will not be happy to learn of her friend's mistreatment.  She could also be a potential infodump on Littlefinger or the Boltons, considering how much time she spent with them.  Lastly, there is the possibility of her being pregnant by Ramsay, setting up a potential inheritance to either the Dreadfort or Hornwood.  In any case, I expect her to cause trouble and have a notable effect on the story.

Fun topic, Thanks!

My first thought, unsurprisingly, is Archmaester Marwyn. I don't know if he can be considered "obscure." He only appears on the page in one chapter, but he makes quite an impression.

I don't think we've seen the last of the Hooded Man. I expect him to commit a few more killings or other mischief before we learn his identity.

I expect (hope!) that Roslin Frey will turn out to be hiding some secret, for reasons I discussed in an earlier post:

5 minutes ago, Aebram said:

Fun topic, Thanks!

My first thought, unsurprisingly, is Archmaester Marwyn. I don't know if he can be considered "obscure." He only appears on the page in one chapter, but he makes quite an impression.

I don't think we've seen the last of the Hooded Man. I expect him to commit a few more killings or other mischief before we learn his identity.

I expect (hope!) that Roslin Frey will turn out to be hiding some secret, for reasons I discussed in an earlier post:

Roslin is interesting, yes, but we do not need a fake Roslin. In a family of more that 100 people someone is bound to be attractive.

The Freys have a great many connections to families associated with Aegon IV's bastards. Many probably descend from tbem; some descend from Lothstons, others from Butterwells etc. Aegon IV was good looking before he got fat, and his various mistresses were as well. So I do think it is in fact likely that there are some attractive Freys.

Also, most of the Rosby branch of the Frey family is decent (Perwyn, Olyvar) so Roslin is hardly isolated.

5 hours ago, Nevets said:

Jeyne Poole (FArya) is my suggestion.  While not quite "six degrees of Kevin Bacon", she is connected to a ridiculous number of characters.  Sansa, Arya, and Littlefinger are the most obvious, but the Boltons, Stannis and Jon have ties as well.  The whip marks on her back and Theon telling her she needs to continue pretending to be Arya suggest her story has a ways to run yet.

She is currently on her way to the Wall in the company of two men who are heading on to Braavos.  Given Jon's current condition, it is likely they will be unable to meet, and she will head on to Braavos to avoid Ramsay.  

I think she could meet the real Arya and possibly be the catalyst for her return to Westeros.  The whip marks lead to Littlefinger so I see potential there, especially since I imagine Sansa will not be happy to learn of her friend's mistreatment.  She could also be a potential infodump on Littlefinger or the Boltons, considering how much time she spent with them.  Lastly, there is the possibility of her being pregnant by Ramsay, setting up a potential inheritance to either the Dreadfort or Hornwood.  In any case, I expect her to cause trouble and have a notable effect on the story.

I think you're right about the "infodump" on Peter Baelish.  If I had to guess at what future pivotal role she might have.....if she makes it alive to the Wall and Jon brings her back to Winterfell....she might inform Sansa that Peter Baelish had captured her and forcibly trained her as a whore, then sold her into torture.  She, rather than psychic bran, might be the thing that turns Sansa fully against Baelish.

I can't see her doing too much more than that though - she's so incredibly traumatized.  She implies that Ramsay has been making her have sex with his hounds.....I mean...ugh.

8 minutes ago, Ring3r said:

I think you're right about the "infodump" on Peter Baelish.  If I had to guess at what future pivotal role she might have.....if she makes it alive to the Wall and Jon brings her back to Winterfell....she might inform Sansa that Peter Baelish had captured her and forcibly trained her as a whore, then sold her into torture.  She, rather than psychic bran, might be the thing that turns Sansa fully against Baelish.

I can't see her doing too much more than that though - she's so incredibly traumatized.  She implies that Ramsay has been making her have sex with his hounds.....I mean...ugh.

I personally think that she is set up to reconnect with Arya in Braavos. This of course does not mean she will not also be an information dump on Petyr as suggested, but just that there are a few more layers to this onion.

1. Jeyne is severely traumatized, her whole family is dead, and Jon is also dead, for now, up at the Wall. As she is with Tycho, fans predicting she will be sent to Braavos as those trying to protect her believe it is the only safe place for her are probably right.

2. Once in Braavos, she will either come into contact with people who are fully aware that she is not Arya, or she will come directly into contact with Arya herself. The moment of their eventual meeting is simply too interesting, narratively, to pass up. Arya is busy adopting all kinds of disguises and trying to convince the FM that she is noone. Meanwhile, here is this young woman, whom Arya remembers, who has been forced to pretend to be Arya Stark, the very person Arya has been working so hard not to be. These two have a great deal to discuss.

3. Arya has learned to kill people, as well as learning all of the reasons FOR killing, including mercy killing. The first time Arya put on a face, furthermore, we learned that in doing so she could also feel the memories of the girl she then became. So the natural extension of this set-up is that very traumatized Jeyne Poole offers herself to the FM in exchange for the death of Petyr Baelish, who was the cause of all of her suffering. Arya takes the job, takes Jeyne's face, and in so doing also takes on Jeyne's memories and suffering to a certain degree.

31 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

I personally think that she is set up to reconnect with Arya in Braavos. This of course does not mean she will not also be an information dump on Petyr as suggested, but just that there are a few more layers to this onion.

1. Jeyne is severely traumatized, her whole family is dead, and Jon is also dead, for now, up at the Wall. As she is with Tycho, fans predicting she will be sent to Braavos as those trying to protect her believe it is the only safe place for her are probably right.

2. Once in Braavos, she will either come into contact with people who are fully aware that she is not Arya, or she will come directly into contact with Arya herself. The moment of their eventual meeting is simply too interesting, narratively, to pass up. Arya is busy adopting all kinds of disguises and trying to convince the FM that she is noone. Meanwhile, here is this young woman, whom Arya remembers, who has been forced to pretend to be Arya Stark, the very person Arya has been working so hard not to be. These two have a great deal to discuss.

3. Arya has learned to kill people, as well as learning all of the reasons FOR killing, including mercy killing. The first time Arya put on a face, furthermore, we learned that in doing so she could also feel the memories of the girl she then became. So the natural extension of this set-up is that very traumatized Jeyne Poole offers herself to the FM in exchange for the death of Petyr Baelish, who was the cause of all of her suffering. Arya takes the job, takes Jeyne's face, and in so doing also takes on Jeyne's memories and suffering to a certain degree.

I like this theory but I don't think it likely.  Per the pre-release chapter that features her, Jeyne Poole is on her way to the Wall, on Stannis' orders, accompanied by Tycho...but I don't think anyone but her is going to survive, since Jeyne Poole is almost certainly the girl Mellisandre has seen in her fires and mistakes for Arya.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mourning Star said:

Old Nan, I expect it will turn out is both a Targaryen and the three eyed crow

Part of me hopes she's a child of the forest. There's just something other otherworldly about her and the fact that even Ned was calling her Old Nan, when he was a child has me wondering.

To answer the question though, I have a few, Benjen, Aero Hotah, Marwyn, Salladhor Saan, Thoros, and naturally Howland Reed. Probably all 3 Sand Snakes as well.

Edited by sifth

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sifth said:

To answer the question though, I have a few, Benjen, Aero Hotah, Marwyn, Salladhor Saan, Thoros, and naturally Howland Reed. Probably all 3 Sand Snakes as well.

These are good ones! I'm going to add Willas Tyrell and the Blackfish. Maybe Aurane Waters and Darkstar will be pivotal to the advancement of more major characters.

Edit: @Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 you beat me to Willas by a second! :P

Edited by Ser Arthurs Dawn

6 hours ago, Ring3r said:

When I say "infodump", I mean that information will be given to us, the readers, through that character telling a POV what they overheard or were told.  In other words, we might learn more about Baelish or the Boltons through her.

While traumatized, she is clearly functional.  She is able to answer Mors Umber's questions about Winterfell with ease.  In other words, she has a coherent conversation with a man she is unfamiliar with; not bad considering her experiences.  And simply getting out of the abusive situation will help.

5 hours ago, Hippocras said:

I agree with 1 and 2.  I think Arya will hear that "Arya Stark" is in town and will go find out what is going on.

I disagree with 3.  I think that after the preview chapter Arya will be on thin ice with the FM, and it will be clear that she cannot become no-one.  I also doubt Arya will tell Jeyne, or anyone else, about being with the FM.  I actually see Arya taking Jeyne with her on her return to Westeros, both as a useful companion, and to avoid abandoning her in Braavos.  I would be quite shocked if Arya actually becomes enough of a FM to get a solo assignment in Westeros or even learn to change faces, and taking Jeyne's face would be stupid in any case.  As for Baelish, he's Sansa's responsibility to deal with.

5 hours ago, Ring3r said:

I like this theory but I don't think it likely.  Per the pre-release chapter that features her, Jeyne Poole is on her way to the Wall, on Stannis' orders, accompanied by Tycho...but I don't think anyone but her is going to survive, since Jeyne Poole is almost certainly the girl Mellisandre has seen in her fires and mistakes for Arya.

I believe that it was Alys Karstark, and is an example of Melisandre's difficulty in interpreting her visions.  And if Jon is injured and comatose, as I expect, then Jeyne will arrive and leave without meeting Jon.

@Nevets

I struggle to see why Jeyne would even want to go back. She has no family left. Going back would mean admitting her fraud to the entire North, telling them all about her life as a sex slave before that, and while many of them would be sympathetic, having gone through so much trauma, why add insult to injury? Even the ones who are sympathetic would hardly see her as a good marriage prospect. She has no future there.

She may not give up her face or her life, but even then I do not see her going back.

People have brought up Jeyne Poole, and how many mains she’s connected with, but I’m going to pick someone minor that’s connected with her directly. 

Justin Massey is one of the more interesting men serving Stannis. He’s been with him from the start, seemingly, and he was apparently the man who persuaded Stannis to withdraw from the Battle of the Blackwater before he was slain or captured. For all that he’s talked doom and gloom across the march to Winterfell, he was quite unwilling to part ways with Stannis, at least on the surface. I feel like he must have a decent role to play in the upcoming book.

For some reason I'm expecting Meryn Trant to have an especially painful death for everything he did in the series to hurt both Arya and Sansa. As much as I hate the tv show, I did love seeing Arya destroy him. Not sure if that  counts as having a major role or not, but it's certainly something I very much want to see. Same with Walder Frey, for what he did to Cat and Robb, and the rest of Robb's soldiers.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, sifth said:

Part of me hopes she's a child of the forest. There's just something other otherworldly about her and the fact that even Ned was calling her Old Nan, when he was a child has me wondering.

If I had to guess, she is Egg’s sister.

"Dragons," she said, lifting her head and sniffing. She was near blind and could not see the comet, yet she claimed she could smell it. "It be dragons, boy," she insisted. Bran got no princes from Nan, no more than he ever had.

And Aemon’s sister:

"Dragons," Aemon whispered. "The grief and glory of my House, they were."

"The last dragon died before you were born," said Sam. "How could you remember them?"

"I see them in my dreams, Sam. I see a red star bleeding in the sky. I still remember red. I see their shadows on the snow, hear the crack of leathern wings, feel their hot breath. My brothers dreamed of dragons too, and the dreams killed them, every one. Sam, we tremble on the cusp of half-remembered prophecies, of wonders and terrors that no man now living could hope to comprehend . . .”

Edited by Mourning Star

Gendry, I expect him to become a true knight and a hero of the smallfolk before meeting (being taken to) Daenerys after her arrival to Westeros and after earning her trust (and love ?) betray her out of love for a certain Stark.