Help Please! First Name Suffixes

Posted (edited)

I am encountering a bit of a challenge in my analysis of first names and could use some help:

I don't have a good way to search for shared word endings. The beginnings of words, when shared, come up easily together in searches. Suffixes are harder. But I would like some help here creating a list of shared suffixes for first names that should be analysed.

For example:

Unwin Peake and Tywin Lannister likely have shared lineages. This is shown in analysis of completely different names. However I have noticed that the "win" ending is relatively common in the Lannister family history. 

Tywin
Norwin
Erwin

Sadly I have no tools for searching for other names of this type.

What suffixes have you noticed being shared between two or more different names? Please list them! Thanks.

Edited by Hippocras
Adding "Goodwin"

• Hippocras changed the title to Help Please! First Name Suffixes
Posted (edited)

"_mar" is one group with possibly more names to add:

Bradamar
Elmar
Colmar

These are all Freys, two of them being full brothers. There must be more of these in some other family?

Lorimar Peake! Found one.

Lothar (Frey, Bracken, Mallery) is somewhat close I guess. As is Olyvar (Martell, Oakheart, Yronwood), Robar and Andar (Royce), Maekar and Rhaegar (Targaryen), Regnar (Drumm), Benedar (Belmore), Abelar (Hightower), Rogar (Bolton, Baratheon), Ballabar (Arbor maester).

Edited by Hippocras
Added Ballabar

Bradamar Frey
Colmar Frey
Elmar Frey, twenty-eighth son of Lord Walder Frey.
Hilmar Drumm
Lorimar Peake
Raymar Royce
Theomar Smallwood, Lord of Acorn Hall.
Umar, the father of Ulf.
Waymar Royce

I have a bit of Python, which is useful for things like this. Not at the level to make my searches water-tight though.

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

Bradamar Frey
Colmar Frey
Elmar Frey, twenty-eighth son of Lord Walder Frey.
Hilmar Drumm
Lorimar Peake
Raymar Royce
Theomar Smallwood, Lord of Acorn Hall.
Umar, the father of Ulf.
Waymar Royce

I have a bit of Python, which is useful for things like this. Not at the level to make my searches water-tight though.

This is great, thanks. I knew there were more.

1 hour ago, Hippocras said:

This is great, thanks. I knew there were more.

Just a bit of luck really - I was already set up to look for suffixes, because I too have an interest in names (in a more poetical sense of sounds and meaning, and why this name suits this character etc). Anyway, it's no effort now, so PM me for more if you like. The only thing is I'm not on the forum that often.

11 hours ago, Hippocras said:

I am encountering a bit of a challenge in my analysis of first names and could use some help:

What suffixes have you noticed being shared between two or more different names? Please list them! Thanks.

have you already done the 'ion' ending?

10 hours ago, Castellan said:

I haven't really done any endings because it is so much harder to search for them. But anything you think of feel free to suggest and start a list here. Maybe with more eyes we can get over the search hurdles.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Castellan said:

Fill your boots :)

Aurion, self-proclaimed Emperor of Valyria after the Doom.
Marillion, a singer
Merion
Quillion
Sybassion, the Eater of Eyes.
Lord Dondarrion (father of Simon)
Lord Dondarrion (father of Manfred)
Togarion Bar Emmon, called Togarion the Terrible
Bennarion Botley, younger son of Lord Sawane Botley.
Sebastion Errol
Tion Frey, son of Emmon Frey and Genna Lannister.
Victarion Greyjoy, brother of Lord Balon, Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet.
Victarion Greyjoy's third wife
Tyrion II Lannister
Tyrion III Lannister
Harrion Karstark, eldest son and heir of Lord Rickard Karstark.
Cerion Lannister, a King of the Rock.
Damion Lannister, appointed castellan of Casterly Rock.
Gerion Lannister, youngest son of Lord Tytos Lannister.
Lucion Lannister
Tion Lannister
Tyrion Lannister, called "The Imp".
Morion Martell
Balerion Otherys, a bastard son of King Aegon IV Targaryen.
Steffarion Sparr
Edderion Stark
Tyrion Tanner
Tion Tarbeck
Aerion Targaryen, called Brightflame.
Aerion Targaryen, father of Aegon the Conqueror.
Daemion Targaryen, a Lord of Dragonstone during the Century of Blood.
Valerion Targaryen
Daemion Velaryon

ETA

The search method has a few problems, e.g. Victarion's wife, and Dondarrion is not a first name, but those are best sorted out by eye.

Edited by Springwatch

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Fill your boots :)

Aurion, self-proclaimed Emperor of Valyria after the Doom.
Marillion, a singer ASOIF timeframe. is Westerosi or can pass as one.
Merion  preceded Pycelle as Grandmaester of the Citadel. He died as soon as he got the job, aged 66.
Quillion an Archmaester, ASOIF timeframe
Sybassion, the Eater of Eyes. ASOIF timeframe a resident of Qarth who regains his eyesight after the House of the Undying in destroyed.

Dondarrion Stormlands house. Marcher Lords, control the pass to Dorne. HOUSE name
Lord Dondarrion (father of Simon)
Lord Dondarrion (father of Manfred)
Togarion Bar Emmon, called Togarion the Terrible. an Andal Lord who established his own kingdom north of Blackwater bay.
Bennarion Botley, ASOIF timeframe. younger son of Lord Sawane Botley. Botley is one of the principal houses of the Iron Islands. Bennarion is the only example of the -ion ending in what we know of that house.
Sebastion Errol - ASOIF timeframe. House Errol is a stormlands house. No info on other members
Tion Frey, ASOIF timeframe son of Emmon Frey and Genna Lannister.
Victarion Greyjoy, ASOIF timeframe brother of Lord Balon, Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet.
Victarion Greyjoy's third wife
Tyrion II Lannister the tormenter, King of the Rock a powerful battle leader but delighted in torture and rumored to be a sexual sadist
Tyrion III Lannister a sage King of the Rock who arranged lots of intermarriage with the Andals who were expanding their territory
Harrion Karstark, ASOIF timeframe eldest son and heir of Lord Rickard Karstark.
Cerion Lannister, a King of the Rock. a powerful Andal King who extended his territory.
Damion Lannister, appointed castellan of Casterly Rock by Cersei. son of Damon Lannister and Ella Lannister. Father of Lucion and Lanna.
Gerion Lannister, youngest son of Lord Tytos Lannister. ASOIF timeframe if still alive
Lucion Lannister son of Damion Lannister and Shiera Crakehall. ASOIF timeframe
Tion Lannister - son of Gerold Lannister and Rohanne Webber. He was seduced by Ellyn Reyne and married her. He died in the 4th Blackfyre rebellion.
Tyrion Lannister, called "The Imp".
Morion Martell - attempted to invade the Stormlands during the 4th Dornish War
Balerion Otherys, a bastard son of King Aegon IV Targaryen.
Steffarion Sparr ASOIF timeframe. Ironborn
Edderion Stark one of the Kings of the North buried in the Winterfell crypt.
Tyrion Tanner - ASOIF timeframe Lollys's bastard son, named after Tyrion by Bronn
Tion Tarbeck - son of Walderon Tarbeck and Ellen Reyne. Ellen was thought to have been needling Tywin with this and other name choices. Tion lannister was her first husband who had died in war.
Aerion Targaryen, called Brightflame. brother to Aemon and Aegon, was a mad monstrous Targ.
Aerion Targaryen, father of Aegon the Conqueror.
Daemion Targaryen, a Lord of Dragonstone during the Century of Blood.
Valerion Targaryen - son of King Jaehaerys I and Queen Alysanne, he died in infancy.
Daemion Velaryon - he and his brother put forward a claim to head house Velaryon, but accepted the decision against them.

ETA

The search method has a few problems, e.g. Victarion's wife, and Dondarrion is not a first name, but those are best sorted out by eye.

wow. :)

Would be good to see if GRRM was trying to imply whether the suffix came from one of the peoples who invaded Westeros. Note the first name on the list is a Valyrian and some Targs have the suffix (but not that many, really.) The Lannisters in appearance seem very Andal, but it was an already existing -ion person, Tyrion III who encouraged much intermarriage with the Andals, who were continuing to encroach. Of course, he could have got his name from the Andal influence that had already begun.

The suffix is dotted around Westeros. If a powerful house like the Lannisters acquired the suffix from invaders, then it would be spread by inter-marroage with Lannisters, as well as by marriage with the original invaders.

But really on this tiny experiment I can't see strong evidence that is particularly associated with either Andals or Valyrians.

Its interesting that Tywin gave his dwarf son the name of some ancient Kings of the Rock. Perhaps he was emphasising a Lannister is a Lannister, no matter how small.

Plus of the two King Tyrions listed one is a sage peacemaker and one is a cruel tormenter. Perhaps GRRM is playing on the different ways Tyrion's character could go in the wake of his rage and murder of Tywin.

Edited by Castellan
I am editing the list noting time frame and region

• 2 weeks later...