Robert's Rebellion Aftermath

Do we have a comprehensive list of all those Robert exiled after the war? It couldn't have just been Jon Connington, right? Surely there were others who were exiled as well? I could have sword there were several families whose family heads were exiled even if the rest of the family was pardoned as the choice lay with the head on which side to fight on...

Jon wasn't exiled by Robert; Aerys did that. Robert just didn't bother forgiving Jon because of his close ties to Rhaegar, whom he despised more than anyone. 

Robert wouldn't have banished men for fighting for Aerys; he was the kind of guy who'd try to make friends of his former foes. Again, Jon is the only exception because of his devotion to Rhaegar.

5 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Jon wasn't exiled by Robert; Aerys did that. Robert just didn't bother forgiving Jon because of his close ties to Rhaegar, whom he despised more than anyone. 

Robert wouldn't have banished men for fighting for Aerys; he was the kind of guy who'd try to make friends of his former foes. Again, Jon is the only exception because of his devotion to Rhaegar.

Owen Merryweather wound up in a similar boat as Jon Connington. Aerys exiled him for failing to stop the rebels, the Merryweathers got to come back unlike Connington but Robert confiscated most of the Merryweathers' money.

1 hour ago, lunasmeow said:

Do we have a comprehensive list of all those Robert exiled after the war? It couldn't have just been Jon Connington, right? Surely there were others who were exiled as well? I could have sword there were several families whose family heads were exiled even if the rest of the family was pardoned as the choice lay with the head on which side to fight on...

Ser Aliser was sent to the wall.  Which is crazy because Ser Aliser supported the right cause and the right proper King Aerys.  He just had the bad luck of losing. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, The Gizzard of Oz said:

Ser Aliser was sent to the wall.  Which is crazy because Ser Aliser supported the right cause and the right proper King Aerys.  He just had the bad luck of losing. 

Even Ser Alliser Thorne and Ser Jeremy Rikker were not forced to take the black by Robert. It was Tywin Lannister who forced them to do it:

Ser Jaremy Rykker commented dryly. "I ought to know, I was there on the battlements beside him [Ser Alliser]. Tywin Lannister gave us a splendid choice. Take the black, or see our heads on spikes before evenfall.

I'd even speculate that, given the unusual harshness of the sentence, that we know that Tywin is not such a good friend of the Watch and that he passed the judgment so quickly (they had to take the black before evenfall), probably Tywin just wanted them out of the city before Robert arrived. They likely witnessed the brutalities committed by the Lannister soldiers during the Sack, and he didn't want any knight to report on that.

Edited by The hairy bear

41 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

I'd even speculate that, given the unusual harshness of the sentence, that we know that Tywin is not such a good friend of the Watch and that he passed the judgment so quickly (they had to take the black before evenfall), that probably Tywin just wanted them out of the city before Robert arrived. They likely witnessed the brutalities committed by the Lannister soldiers during the Sack, and he didn't want any knight to report on that.

Tywin really was a monstrous person. 

It seems that there was no mass purge of those who fought for the Targs. Of those we know (or can strongly suspect) fought for Aerys in the war - the Tyrells, Rowans, Florents and Tarlys (and probably all other Reach bannermen), the Martells (and all their bannermen), houses Cafferen, Fell and Grandison, house Darry, the Graftons and Corbrays, the Velaryons, Celtigars and Bar Emmons, the Bywaters and Masseys, all of them are still around and no indication is made that any of them have been diminished in status from where they were before.

There are a couple of individuals from loyalist houses: Alliser Thorne, Jaremy Rykker, and perhaps Jarman Buckwell, who took the Black, probably all at the instigation of Tywin for his own ends as suggested above. And others who went into exile voluntarily or semi-voluntarily: Willem Darry most obviously, but Owen Merryweather would probably have been allowed to come back if he'd bent the knee and apparently chose not to. Robert's policy - and greatest success - after the rebellion was "turning enemies into friends" and extending mercy to those who'd fought against him. He didn't put anyone to death that we know of and we don't know of anyone who Robert actively exiled either.

Jon Connington is the only exile we know of who Robert specifically chose not to recall (excepting the Targs themselves). There may be one or two others but we don't know the names of all of Rhaegar's inner circle. Most of them were probably killed in the war and others may have decided that actually their loyalty to Rhaegar was flexible and bent the knee willingly - or, like Barristan, Robert correctly gauged that their loyalty was to the institution and not the individuals.

For what it's worth, even the notoriously bloodthirsty Joffrey (ft. Twyin) is relatively forgiving in the aftermath of the Blackwater. Various captured lords who opposed his claim in favour of Renly's, then joined Stannis, and are now asking to rejoin him, are pardoned; none are exiled. Only those recalcitrants who continue to abuse him are punished.

17 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Robert just didn't bother forgiving Jon because of his close ties to Rhaegar, whom he despised more than anyone. 

I'm not even sure I would go that far. Robert took the throne and JonCon was already long gone. Robert probably never gave him another thought, since he had another loyal Connington in Griffin's Roost anyway.

42 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

I'm not even sure I would go that far. Robert took the throne and JonCon was already long gone. Robert probably never gave him another thought, since he had another loyal Connington in Griffin's Roost anyway.

Well that and JonCon did try to kill him at the battle of the bells. It didn't work out for JonCon but Robert might have remembered about that. Either way it's kind of a moot point since, as you said, he's got a loyal vassal by the same name who can't or shouldn't complain about the relative paucity of Connington land he's about to get as recompense.

Apart from the three already mentioned that Tywin presumably forced to take the black, I’m surprised at how many people Ned didn’t make take the black.

Although in saying all of this, what are they actually supposed to be exiled for? Fighting for the rightful king that they swore an oath to haha. Robert’s forces were in the wrong (in the eyes of gods and laws) but the rebels won, so Robert can’t really judge his enemies that harshly.

Had Aerys died and Rhaegar became king, there would be lots of exiles I’d imagine

On 5/28/2024 at 9:54 AM, Universal Sword Donor said:

Well that and JonCon did try to kill him at the battle of the bells. It didn't work out for JonCon but Robert might have remembered about that. Either way it's kind of a moot point since, as you said, he's got a loyal vassal by the same name who can't or shouldn't complain about the relative paucity of Connington land he's about to get as recompense.

Not to quibble, but Cafferen and Grandison tried to kill him too, and Robert accepted their loyalty after they bent the knee. That's the key, though, JC would have to kneel to Robert, which is unlikely. 

37 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Not to quibble, but Cafferen and Grandison tried to kill him too, and Robert accepted their loyalty after they bent the knee. That's the key, though, JC would have to kneel to Robert, which is unlikely. 

And decided unlikely as he is thousands of miles away from KL when he would have had the opportunity to do so.