Videogames: Come and Get Your Digital Love

IlyaP

As the old thread has closed up, time for a new one! 

I'm currently once again enjoying the delights of Solasta: Crown of the Magister, as this little cRPG has a bazillion DLCs to try out once the main campaign has wrapped up.

12 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I was told there would be digital love ... here am I.

When you have Redbone and Daft Punk queued up in your playlist and get...inspired.

Posted (edited)

Nothing all that interesting but I've been playing a good bit of XDefiant the last few days. Plenty of desync and hit reg issues but it's overall quite fun.

As ever, my propensity for pushing an objective rather mindlessly ends up probably helping my team but trashing my KD. It's hard with randoms because you can't just engage in strategic play and succeed. Sometimes you've just got to force the issue and my skill level isn't high enough to force it super well on my own. I'm always torn between the question of whether or not the help I'm providing to my team is as good as the help I would provide with my skill level and trying to do a little bit more strategic positioning play to try and nab kills that make others jobs easier ... But when you're playing a mode like occupy where you only score if you have somebody in the zone ... and your whole team is running around the area but not sitting in the zone, even when we've killed all of the enemies, I just end up sitting in the zone ... like a sitting duck.

Anyway, I've gotten all the weapons unlocked (finally) so I never have to suffer through weapon types I dislike. Long shots, in particular, seemed to register rather and consistently. I'm fairly certain I was getting eliminations at a longer distance than some of my long shots but those eliminations didn't count as long shots themselves. That forced me to stick with Marksman rifles and some of the ARs way too long.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Currently playing Total War: Shogun 2.  

The little animation people make me feel bad when I disband them. I’m sending you home! Why are you acting like I just murdered you?

Are the ninja assassination cutscenes as corny and hilarious as I remember them ? 

Found via Reddit, where one of the devs mentioned in response to a comparison to Freedom Force that one of the writers on the team worked on that game, which is cool. But he also cautioned it's definitely a different sort of thing, and you can tell that's the case from what little we see of dialog and characters.

Posted (edited)

DIV: rerolling at max lvl is so gimp mask I created another Barb [my Barrage Rogue is 67] I'm such a melee whore >.<

Went DubSwing with Rupture, it has a bigger DoT than Rend's now, and grants serious Attack Speed. Don't usually rock Ultimates but Iron Maelstrom is pretty awesome with the reduced CD on Ring tempers. Hey, @Mexal on your DubSwing Barb what are you rolling for Offensive/Weapon tempers? Dmg with Dual Wield and Close, or?

Edited by JGP

I'm likely never gonna have the chance to play this but it looks delightful. Great to see a big studio other than Nintendo realise that actually people clearly still really like 3D mascot platformers and there's no reason it should be a dead (Mario aside) genre.

I finished up my playthrough of Fallout 1 and decided that not only did I want to play something that isn't an RPG but that I should probably try a newer, more contemporary game. So I decided to play Homeworld 1. Not the original, the Remastered version!

Now I remember playing this on its original release back in the 90's and very much sucking at it so I never properly finishing the game at the time. I might even still have the original CD floating around somewhere. I was really into RTS games at the time but my brain just could not properly wrap around the idea of issuing orders in a fully 3D environment with X, Y, and Z axis for movement. So it went onto the heap of unfinished games... until now. 

I remember some things about the original game, but not much beyond A) the awesome graphics (for the time) and B ) the music.

The Good - Despite (or maybe because of) the simple ship models and simple texture work, the game looks pretty damn good to me. The skyboxes aren't just empty, black voids full of distant stars but are replete with colorful nebulas, stellar clouds, and burning stars. It's really quite beautiful.

The music is also very good, very minimalist, like a more atmospheric Vangelis or Tangerine Dream soundtrack. The voice acting is good, it works and effectively conveys the story and emotions despite you never seeing a single character's face (a very, very good decision that helps the game age much more gracefully than it otherwise would). The story is simple but it works.

Spoiler

I was kind of expecting a twist at some point but nope, it's very straightforward.

The controls and gameplay are great (mostly). The combat is not super fast, which is great because it keeps things from being too overwhelming. Although there were a few times where my brain just locked up because of all the groups of different classes of ships in combat at once, though that was very much a me problem and it was entirely gone by the end of the game.

The Meh - The game was way easier than I remember it being. I pretty easily blazed through most of the missions with only a few of the missions actually posing any real challenge. I finished the game in maybe 15 hours and I only took that long doing so because I spent way more time collecting as many of the resources as I could on each stage before moving on, which you really don't need to do. Sitting and waiting for all of the resources to be collected also made for a much more tedious game at times.

The controls, while good for the time, are a bit archaic now. They still work fine but precision movement is still way too finicky with so many axis of movement available. 

Also, resources that have been completely mined remain on the map. Wtf, why? Not a big issue but it's just a really irritating choice.

The Bad - The AI is awful which contributes to the game being much easier than I recall. Not only the AI of your enemies but the AI and pathfinding of your units. Multiple times units will ignore orders and the stances you've put them in and continue to recklessly throw themselves against vastly superior foes. In other instances, units will sometimes sit and ignore the presence of hostile units until you tell them to do something.

Hostile units are even more bafflingly stupid. They sometimes won't even build units despite having access to resources. Other times, enemy units will completely ignore your attacks and just let you destroy them. On one mission, my fleet of corvettes chewed through a bunch of inert interceptors before one of my units 'accidentally' attacked their capital ship and suddenly all of the interceptors decided that maybe they should fight back.

Enemy units are also incredibly easy to goad with faster moving units. Especially frigates and capital ships will just happily fly straight to their deaths into mines or vastly superior forces.

Also, any stances that you set your control groups to will get set back to Passive at the start of every mission so you have to go back through and reset every group, which is very annoying. It's super annoying because some missions start with you getting thrust straight into a combat encounter so you have to quickly run through each group, reset their stances and hope you haven't lost too many ships. 

Overall - Homeworld is a great game. It has some issues that keep it from being perfect but the sheer scope of the game and the fact that it originally came out in the fucking 90's is just mind-blowing. I remember being very impressed when it originally came out and I remain impressed even to this day. Definitely give it a shot if you enjoy RTS games. It's relatively short so not much of a time investment to play through the entire campaign.

Next up? Back to my endlessly unending playthrough of FFVII. *sigh* I will finish it one of these days.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, JGP said:

DIV: rerolling at max lvl is so gimp mask I created another Barb [my Barrage Rogue is 67] I'm such a melee whore >.<

Went DubSwing with Rupture, it has a bigger DoT than Rend's now, and grants serious Attack Speed. Don't usually rock Ultimates but Iron Maelstrom is pretty awesome with the reduced CD on Ring tempers. Hey, @Mexal on your DubSwing Barb what are you rolling for Offensive/Weapon tempers? Dmg with Dual Wield and Close, or?

So I've since adjusted and moved over to a Bash Barb when I got to 100. Before the build switch, I was rolling dmg w/ berserking and dmg with close and either dustdevil cast twice or dust devil size increase. Since it was a DS/DD build, that made most sense.

New event starts next week with lots of xp increase so likely going to roll a rogue/sorc and level those up quick. I need to get back to my Necro. I really enjoyed it but have been playing Barb almost exclusively lately.

Edited by Mexal

9 hours ago, Durckad said:

The game was way easier than I remember it being. I pretty easily blazed through most of the missions with only a few of the missions actually posing any real challenge. I finished the game in maybe 15 hours and I only took that long doing so because I spent way more time collecting as many of the resources as I could on each stage before moving on, which you really don't need to do. Sitting and waiting for all of the resources to be collected also made for a much more tedious game at times.

I believe in the original version you needed to do that if you wanted to start the next mission with a boost of resources. But in the remastered version they made it automatic. Once you move on, you automatically collect everything still left. 

I, too, was unable to finish the game back then when it came out. It's the years of gaming experience that makes this game beatable. ;)

23 hours ago, Ran said:

Found via Reddit, where one of the devs mentioned in response to a comparison to Freedom Force that one of the writers on the team worked on that game, which is cool. But he also cautioned it's definitely a different sort of thing, and you can tell that's the case from what little we see of dialog and characters.

I know everyone typically compares these games with XCOM, but just based on the trailer this does look like Chimera Squad with superheroes.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I believe in the original version you needed to do that if you wanted to start the next mission with a boost of resources. But in the remastered version they made it automatic. Once you move on, you automatically collect everything still left. 

Really... REALLY?!

Oh my god... goddamnit...

10 hours ago, Durckad said:

Next up? Back to my endlessly unending playthrough of FFVII. *sigh* I will finish it one of these days.

Dunno if you're talking OG or Rebirth... but I was moving along slowly in Rebirth until I hit Costa del Sol where I hit a point that I had to play multiple minigames to advance the story.  Having to track down scooters all over town, hit a shooting gallery with Barrett, play soccer with Red XIII... it just broke me.  I set the game aside for a minute and just haven't had the willpower to get back in.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

So I've since adjusted and moved over to a Bash Barb when I got to 100. Before the build switch, I was rolling dmg w/ berserking and dmg with close and either dustdevil cast twice or dust devil size increase. Since it was a DS/DD build, that made most sense.

New event starts next week with lots of xp increase so likely going to roll a rogue/sorc and level those up quick. I need to get back to my Necro. I really enjoyed it but have been playing Barb almost exclusively lately.

iirc a Necro may have top spot on Pit pushes. Hard to say without any kind of leaderboard yet though. Tried a Sorc but wasn’t feeling it. 

I saw the 1st anniversary thing. Goblin packs too looks like, should be fun. The Gold bonus is going to be fantastic. 

All my Barb tempers are maxed, so was all wtf when lvling my Rogue and realized that class has a temper recipe to add Crit Dmg to Weapons. Why doesn’t Barb have that? Least I can put weapons in the bank and have my Rogue roll it on for them.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Dunno if you're talking OG or Rebirth... but I was moving along slowly in Rebirth until I hit Costa del Sol where I hit a point that I had to play multiple minigames to advance the story.  Having to track down scooters all over town, hit a shooting gallery with Barrett, play soccer with Red XIII... it just broke me.  I set the game aside for a minute and just haven't had the willpower to get back in.

OG. I've never actually fully played through it before and I figured I should play it before playing Rebirth, if I ever decide to play that one.

It's... okay. The beginning in Midgard is great, but after that it's a bit of a slog. Lots of boring locations and dull minigames intermixed with overly long and sloooooow random battles. It does pickup around the Temple of the Ancients and the story is, admittedly, interesting but so far it feels excessively padded out with lots of dumb bullshit. It feels a lot like a 20 hour game stretched out into 40 hours.

I will say though, that I am at a point where it does seem like things might be picking up and moving towards the ending so I don't think I have THAT much left to do in the game. Hopefully at least.

Edited by Durckad
clarity

2 hours ago, JGP said:

iirc a Necro may have top spot on Pit pushes. Hard to say without any kind of leaderboard yet though. Tried a Sorc but wasn’t feeling it. 

I saw the 1st anniversary thing. Goblin packs too looks like, should be fun. The Gold bonus is going to be fantastic. 

All my Barb tempers are maxed, so was all wtf when lvling my Rogue and realized that class has a temper recipe to add Crit Dmg to Weapons. Why doesn’t Barb have that? Least I can put weapons in the bank and have my Rogue roll it on for them.

Yea, Necro is up to 142 last I saw - I just hopped back on mine, adjusted my paragon and now doing a bit of grinding on glyphs. Sorc is now up to 132 in pit so there is a viable fire build. You're right, it makes absolutely zero sense that you can't add crit as a Barb. I was going to level up a Rogue specifically to gain that recipe if I got any gear worth adding crit. I'll save any 2/3 GA weapons specifically for that.