Skagos

Ser Doctor

[quote name='Bird of the Canals' post='1218784' date='Feb 7 2008, 04.48']A hidden ace in the North? If so Robb would've utilized them at the end of ASOS when things were bleak. I wonder if they are even staunch supporters of House Stark.[/quote]

Skagosi are northmen and everyone in the North knows that “winter is coming’. So even if they weren’t the most loyal Stark supporters during warmer times they would follow wolves in the middle of the winter if they want to survive it at all.
By the way it is another reason for Rickon to be there. If so he could reappear with strong force behind him.

[quote name='Mezeh' post='1222276' date='Feb 10 2008, 15.17']Skagosi are northmen and everyone in the North knows that “winter is coming’. So even if they weren’t the most loyal Stark supporters during warmer times they would follow wolves in the middle of the winter if they want to survive it at all.[/quote]

Er, why? Why not Stannis and Karstarks?

[quote name='Jaak' post='1223027' date='Feb 11 2008, 06.00']Er, why? Why not Stannis and Karstarks?[/quote]

Neither of them has “winter is coming” for their motto. Starks ruled the North for too long time and even wildings respect them and in the past united with Starks to face the common threat. None else is so fitting to fight Others as Starks.

• 2 weeks later...
Its also probably possible that they follow the old Gods and though cannibals and all fighting men could make a king of someone like Bran who could be seen as Shaman or some such thing. I think that Bran and his green dream ability is the key to north.

[quote name='Weave' post='1246217' date='Feb 27 2008, 14.50']Its also probably possible that they follow the old Gods and though cannibals and all fighting men could make a king of someone like Bran who could be seen as Shaman or some such thing. I think that Bran and his green dream ability is the key to north.[/quote]

Wolves are strong in pack and in this particular pack each member has different strengths.

The Skagosi are mentioned as basically going their own way. They don't have a Magnar (literally Lord in the old language of the First Men) like the Thenns, but instead one of their houses is House Magnar, which suggests descent from such a role. Add me to the camp that expects them to have some sort of woolly rhino on their islands. I've been supporting that theory for years now.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolly_Mammoth"]Mammoths[/url], Gigantopithicus (giant apes), giant elk could be [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Elk"]these[/url] or [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag-moose"]these[/url], [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_wolf"]dire wolves[/url], [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurochs"]Aurochs[/url] and others are all real world [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleistocene_megafauna"]Ice Age megafauna[/url] living North of the Wall. I see no reason to think there can't be more. I'd expect any [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasmotherium"]woolly unicorn-rhino[/url] cavalry to be about as numerous as the giants. Note that when I say [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithicus"]Gigantopithicus[/url], I mean the giants. Everything north of the wall appears to be based on the Ice Ages and a single Elasmotherium account by [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Fadlan"]Ibn Fadlan[/url] dates to the 10th century. The medieval unicorns of House Brax and others are Andal heraldry. There is no reason to think that it is any more accurate than European guesses at an extinct Asian animal.

[quote name='Turinqui-Calima' post='686669' date='Mar 4 2007, 19.49']I don't think Skagos will have any big role in the future. I think it's just one of those fantasy places. I was gonna say "just like the Summer Islands" but then I started thinking the Summer Islands might have a big role in the future. It's hard to say. Point it, just cause it's in the book doesn't mean we'll hear a lot about it in the future.[/quote]
The Summer Islands have already featured in AFFC. The same ship was in Dany's chapters in ACoK, or ASoS IIRC.

• 2 months later...
From a little while ago:
[quote]I am doubtful that GRRM throws islands into the ocean without having any purpose for them.[/quote]
IIRC, I think George has stated he is not an adherent of the fantasy school of: "If it's on the map, eventually the characters will visit it" ala The Wheel of Time, David Eddings, Terry Brooks, etc... And at this point in the story, I don't see George burning pages about a PoV dodging cannibals after being shipwrecked on Skagos, he just has too many irons in the fire as it is.

As for the Skagosi getting involved in the wars, or vs the Others, that's only going to happen if the Bay of Seals (?) freezes over: an island is a great place to be when the White Walkers are about.

Just remembered: White Harbor is referred to as a port that is ice-free all winter, I suppose to distinguish it from other northern ports. Perhaps the waters in the North freeze, giving the Others free passage around the Wall, and access to places like Bear Island, and Skagos. I wonder if the Iron Islands freeze up as well...

• 4 weeks later...
Not to be a witch, but could someone please spoiler tag the chapter heading mentioned in the first page. I've been avoiding the spoiler chapters like the plague, and was wondering about the fate of that particular character

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='grinachu' post='1401126' date='Jun 16 2008, 16.34']At this point Osha is basically making the decisions for herself, Rickon and Shaggydog. Given the skagosi seem to have some connection with Wildlings it seems the most logical place for her to head.[/quote]

Well, I hadn't thought of Osha taking Rickon there, but it's a thought.

I agree that GRRM has enough irons in the fire. But couldn't we see short stories or books later on based on places created in ASOI&F. I enjoy the Egg stories, not so much the Ice Dragon, but I'd like to see more on Westeros and the Doom and especially the Children in separate volumes. I want an end to this saga, like everyone else.

It seems many folks are expecting a lot from Ran and Linda. I can't see GRRM giving away too much of the story or stories that would spoil everything. I'd give anything for a map - no the pieced together ones, but one that shows where everything is with distances. I know. Distance, bad word

[quote name='hackhamster' post='1368128' date='May 23 2008, 10.44']From a little while ago:

IIRC, I think George has stated he is not an adherent of the fantasy school of: "If it's on the map, eventually the characters will visit it" ala The Wheel of Time, David Eddings, Terry Brooks, etc... And at this point in the story, I don't see George burning pages about a PoV dodging cannibals after being shipwrecked on Skagos, he just has too many irons in the fire as it is.

As for the Skagosi getting involved in the wars, or vs the Others, that's only going to happen if the Bay of Seals (?) freezes over: an island is a great place to be when the White Walkers are about.

Just remembered: White Harbor is referred to as a port that is ice-free all winter, I suppose to distinguish it from other northern ports. Perhaps the waters in the North freeze, giving the Others free passage around the Wall, and access to places like Bear Island, and Skagos. I wonder if the Iron Islands freeze up as well...[/quote]

This may be right yet GRRM doesn’t seem to waste time and place for describing some places that won’t appear other then on the map. So far we got considerably more information about Skagos then let us say Ibben or some of the Free Cities.
By the way White Harbor was indicated as the only port acceptable at winter and this was ordinary not The Long Winter. We don’t know what will happen with seas around Skagos. Maybe they will be frozen on some point maybe they will just become too dangerous for navigation. We also don’t know how soon this will happen in AFFC Sam passed by Skagos without of great troubles.

• 8 months later...
I was just re-reading AFFC last night and saw the passage where Sam thought about the isle of Skagos.

Amidst all of the legends of the island, he mentions that about 100 years ago, the island had rebelled against Northern rule, it caused a war that resulted in the death of the current Lord Stark at the time.

This is right around the time of the Dunk and Egg stories, isn't it? Or does it predate them a little? I remember the second Dunk and Egg story talking about possibly going up North.

I wonder if one of the future D&E tales will deal with these events?

[quote name='Theadrick' post='1176915' date='Jan 4 2008, 14.56']As for the unicorn thing... it very well could be the "traditional" unicorns that are being referred to. I get the impression of a slow "reawakening" of sorts of the magical and/or fantastical in the world. Dragons, krakens, hints of actual magic (of the wizardly sort), giants, the others, etc... all coming back into play and out of legendary status.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the return of the Children of the Forest either.[/quote]

This is my thought too, and I actually kind of like the idea. A re-awakening of magic in the world. I know a lot of the forums readers on this site are usually against the fantastical but as long as the world doesn't become a purely magical realm, instead having traces of magical wildlife (I'm assuming this is what megafauna is?) and hints of magic in undeveloped storywise lands (ACOK Prologue, Beyond the wall) than it adds a new plane to the story.

Also I never found Terry Brooks or Eddings to visit "everything on the map" in a singular story. Instead they used the "world" in later stories and timelines. I can't speak for Wheel of Time, only read 2 of the books and wasn't a fan.

Back on topic, I don't all the lands in the world of Westeros will appear in the story, at least not in great detail. In almost every fantasy story I've ever read, certain pieces of land are given as reference points and to show that not every inch of the world is unrealistically embroiled in the conflict of the story.

• 3 months later...
I was just re-reading AFFC last night and saw the passage where Sam thought about the isle of Skagos.

Amidst all of the legends of the island, he mentions that about 100 years ago, the island had rebelled against Northern rule, it caused a war that resulted in the death of the current Lord Stark at the time.

This is right around the time of the Dunk and Egg stories, isn't it? Or does it predate them a little? I remember the second Dunk and Egg story talking about possibly going up North.

I wonder if one of the future D&E tales will deal with these events?

Sorry I could not remember the source but it was mentioned somewhere that by the D&E time North is ruled by four she wolves - widowed lady Stark while the current lord Stark is still underage. This may well be a result of Skagos rebellion that then took place only a few years prior to D&E events. And the third D&E story – “Mystery knight†won’t happen in the North.

Sorry I could not remember the source but it was mentioned somewhere that by the D&E time North is ruled by four she wolves - widowed lady Stark while the current lord Stark is still underage. This may well be a result of Skagos rebellion that then took place only a few years prior to D&E events. And the third D&E story – “Mystery knight†won’t happen in the North.

It appears that around that time the current Lord Stark is dying from a wound from an Ironborn and there are numerous women running Winterfell. Link

Thanks. Hope we get to hear more. It'd be interesting to learn about Rickard Stark and the Starks that preceded him. And I was hoping that eventually D&E would come North at some point.

Btw, where did you find your info on Mystery Knight? I know GRRM mentioned its coming out in the Warriors anthology, but I couldn't find any more about the story.

Archived