Tri-noc Con (NC, Aug 3-5): GRRM Literary Guest of Honor

Pictures by Angie

Pictures by Lany

Definates

Lany (Fri afternoon)

Michal (my best friend) (Friday afternoon)

Grey wolf (Friday)

Ambyr (Friday)

Angie (Friday)

Fitz Chivalry's Lover (Friday)

Lucky Pierre (Friday)

Platypus & partner (Friday)

Rouge Warrior (Friday)

Tycho (Friday)

Ser Scot (Sat Morning)

Dornish Prince (Sat)

Jagged (Sat)

Kiddy (Sat)

Mexal (Sat)

I might be at summer school then...it's only a 6-hour train ride from Annapolis to Raleigh, so I may be able to make it.

Awesome. I'm coming from Baltimore area (north of Frederick actually). Not sure on my times or anything else yet.

We do sometimes have lunches and what not in the Baltimore/DC Area. Keep an eye out for when the thread pops up and come join us sometime

I really want to go to Tri-noc Con AND Saratoga Springs. I may have to pick just one. Due to the seasonality of our business, I will probaby go with Tri-noc Con. August is much better for travel for me than November. So put me down as a maybe.

I really want to go to Tri-noc Con AND Saratoga Springs. I may have to pick just one. Due to the seasonality of our business, I will probaby go with Tri-noc Con. August is much better for travel for me than November. So put me down as a maybe.

Awesome. I mean, I would love to see you again. :)

Too bad about Saratoga though. We will just have to have a super cool party to make up for it. I was trying to think of something hot (like the wheather there) I only had two ideas: Kingslanding (the way Robert is describing it to Ned) and a slightly more creative 1001 Dornish Nights

I live just up the road from Raleigh in southern Virginia. But I work a crazy schedule that requires me to travel all the time so I can't know for sure if I can make it. If i'm in Virginia in August I'll be there, put me down for maybe.

Just adding SSE's comments from the "where to next?" thread to this one:

For the long forgotten and neglected Southern boarders, GRRM will be appearing at Trinoc-con in Raleigh NC August 3-5 as the literary "Guest of Honor." I plan to be there. I would love to meet as many people as can attend.

FWIW,

GRRM appears to be up for an evening at a local barbeque joint somewhere close to Raleigh/Durham during Trinoc-con (August 3-5.) If no one objects I'm going to check into where we (those who choose to join us) should go to eat. Hope lots of people come to NC in August.

Upon thinking about this there is another possibility and a slight snag. Most Barbeque places in North and South Carolina are "family" establishments that don't serve beer or other alcoholic beverages. However, they do take out, frequently in very large quantities. I would be willing to transport such take out to the con and party location if there is enough interest, that way we can imbibe freely while consuming our chopped pork sandwiches (I can even bring a variety of different "sauces" for those sandwichs so the true variety of barbeque can be appreciated.)

:)

[ETA] For the daring (and me) I could bring a tray of pork "hash" and rice. It's wonderful, just don't ask what's in it.

ummmm BBQ. I eat bbq once a week for lunch (well, I did before I started the diet)

I am sure there is a place in Raleigh where you can get alcohol. We have them in Greensboro - I will check around for us.

Ok actually there are a few places - I checked around, as well as talked to my brother who used to live near there.

Coopers BBQ & Catering is good and they serve alcohol - more ribs and such for the bbq

Southend Brewery & Smokehouse - great micro brews (voted best in south) and great bbq ribs

Ole Time BBQ - family oriented - but really excellent BBQ - some of the best around

I think we can manage a restaurant without alcohol for dinner if that is what is preferred. :)

Darn this whole gettin' legal thing.

I'd be tempted to come down, if we wern't getting married that Saturday.

I may have to take it upon myself to organize something for when George comes to OdysseyCon in April of 08...

I am sure there is a place in Raleigh where you can get alcohol. We have them in Greensboro - I will check around for us.

Ok actually there are a few places - I checked around, as well as talked to my brother who used to live near there.

Coopers BBQ & Catering is good and they serve alcohol - more ribs and such for the bbq

Southend Brewery & Smokehouse - great micro brews (voted best in south) and great bbq ribs

Ole Time BBQ - family oriented - but really excellent BBQ - some of the best around

I think we can manage a restaurant without alcohol for dinner if that is what is preferred. :)

This sounds really great. What night do you think is best for this? Not sure how NC is, but when I lived in AL, things tended to close up pretty early on Sunday nights (if they were open on Sundays, that is), but Sunday is the best time I think (Fridays tend to be growded and Sat is the usual con party night). Of course that might help us narrow things down ;)

Southend is a rip-off. Not to mention it's in downtown Raleigh, which means you'll have to park in a piss poor parking deck just to pay $30 for a rack of ribs. Microbrews aren't worth that.

If you're interested in beer, check out the Pour House.

There's also a "dueling pianos" bar in downtown. It's great fun. You send up classic rock requests, the piano players play them. Get there before 8, though. You can avoid the cover, and the annoying college aged crowd doesn't start to show up until around 9:30-10.

The best barbeque is in Smithfield, NC. The ORIGINAL Smithfield's BBQ, right off I-40. It's a 20 minute drive from Raleigh on I-40E.

Actually, if you get on I-40E and drive for a while, you'll be in eastern NC. Any of the mom n' pop BBQ restaurants you find there will be well worth it.

The 42nd Street Oyster Bar is also good, but way too expensive like the Southend. It's close to Southend Brewery too, if memory serves (I've only been there once).

Ah, don't forget about The Mellow Mushroom. Some of the best pizzas... ever.

I doubt I'll be able to make the con, however; though I would very much like to.

I lived in Raleigh for near to ten years, so if you want some more tips/advice, feel free to shoot me a PM or whatever.

Have fun!

As far as closing times go, nearly everything in Raleigh closes at around 9pm (I exaggerate, but things do close early in NC). If you're looking for late night entertainment, it's likely going to be at a pub.

Odie, just plan on World Fantasy.

It's this years Worldcon. For real.

I'm really tempted by this. Just don't know if we can afford it after paying for a wedding and going to Disney World.

Yes, all four of us are going to Disney World for our honeymoon. You wanna make somethin' of it, punk??

:fence:

Archived