Andrzej Sapkowski

Calibandar

the last couple of stories in the second book are a direct introduction to what happens in the saga, it would be *very* confusing if they didn't publish them.

I've read the saga after first short story collection and I wasn't confused at all. Of course it's better if reader knows who is Yennefer nad that bard guy before reading novels.

hmm, I was thinking it wouldn't make much sense without knowing who Ciri is and where she came from. But maybe there's enough flashbacks to figure it all out.

Oh, there's enough info about in novels IMO - dialogues, when the kings decide what to do with Ciri, when that private investigator hired by Geralt explains the story to his partner etc. Actually I think the fact that I didn't know about everything at the beginning made the novels more interesting for me.

I just received the Last Wish from the Book Depository! What a great place to order from. It cost me 14 bucks, no shipping (even to America!!), they sent a book mark too!, AND my package said "royal mail" on it making me feel like King Robert came back from the dead and sent me a package.

Plus now I can read the Witcher. This should be great.

• 4 weeks later...
That is correct. That's when Gollancz are going to publish it. I meant to ask Simon Spanton (Gollancz head honcho) about what's going on with [i]Sword of Destiny[/i] as I think I misunderstood what he said in an earlier email. I thought he said that [i]Sword of Destiny[/i] would be published before [i]Blood of the Elves[/i] if [i]Last Wish[/i] was successful, but I actually think he meant that the novels will be published regardless (perhaps on the basis that novels sell, short story collections like [i]The Last Wish [/i]are a bit less of a sure thing) and [i]Sword of Destiny[/i] will follow them if [i]Last Wish[/i] was a success.

However perhaps that isn't the case as then [i]Sword of Destiny[/i] might not be published in English for another 5 years :stunned:

Just finished it. Me likes. :) Now I understand why someone (I think it was john) likened him to Andersen. Maybe, but a much more modern Andersen. As quirky, but more more gritty and more cruel. I'll definitely be picking up more as it comes out, and I'm counting down the days till the computer game comes out. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I finished reading this yesterday evening and must say that I liked it a lot. Can't wait for "Blood of the Elves" to be released and see what his novels are like compared to his short stories. I surmise from this thread that they should at least be just as good..?

Anyways, I wrote up a little review of it and linked to Wert's and Larry's reviews. [url="http://natsecorma.net/theredundantblog/2007/10/30/the-last-wish-by-andrzej-sapkowski/"]Take a look[/url] if you want ;)

Add me to the just finished and really enjoyed it brigade. I'm not usually a big fan of short stories, but this was really enjoyable and I am definitely looking forward to the novels coming out (soon, pretty please?)

Just picked this up and finished it. I'd have done so long ago if someone had told me there was a dastardly Hereward in it. :tantrum: Very enjoyable stuff. Not quite as good in the dialogue as Vance, but Vance-like, which is obviously A Very Good Thing.

I finally got around to reading this one, and really enjoyed it ([url="http://nethspace.blogspot.com/2007/11/last-wish-by-andrzej-sapowski-last-wish.html"]full review[/url]). It certainly has a different flavor than the fantasy from writers further west.

I'm still laughing about the first wish.

[quote name='Amras' post='1080695' date='Oct 30 2007, 05.37']Can't wait for "Blood of the Elves" to be released and see what his novels are like compared to his short stories. I surmise from this thread that they should at least be just as good..?[/quote]

Novels are very good. There have some meh moments but as a whole I rate them second only to Martin in fantasy literature (depends on good translation though)

Blood of Elves - 9/10
Time of Disdain - 8.5/10
Baptism of Fire - 7.5/10 - a little slow
The Swallow's Tower - 9/10
Lady of the Lake - 8/10 - 1st half is not very good, second one is perfect and contains the best fantasy battle I ever read.

[quote]However perhaps that isn't the case as then Sword of Destiny might not be published in English for another 5 years stunned.gif[/quote]

I pity you because it contains his best short story (dragon hunt).

Anguy, could you give me an idea of what The Blood of Elves is about? Who does it feature? Also, are there actually Elves in it that play a prominent role or is the title a bit of a misnomer? What sort story or war is this book about?

it features Geralt, Yennerfer and Jaskier plus a bunch of other magicians and witchers and princes and princesses and kings, and also elves and dwarves.

oh, and Ciri.

I'm not sure if elves feature prominently in this book (they do later for sure, but i forget which books exactly) but their blood does indeed. :)

(Sapkowski is not one for subtle titles)

Archived