Andrzej Sapkowski

Calibandar

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1105317' date='Nov 14 2007, 18.49']Anguy, could you give me an idea of what The Blood of Elves is about? Who does it feature? Also, are there actually Elves in it that play a prominent role or is the title a bit of a misnomer? What sort story or war is this book about?[/quote]

Hmm, I don't know how much can I say, I don't want spoil it for you/others. So just the beginning of book plus some story setting basic facts (most of it happens before book or on first pages):

SPOILER: Story
The story revolves around Ciri, heiress of throne of strategically important kingdom Cintra. She's the daughter of princess Pavetta mentioned in one of the Last Wish stories, and she was promised to Geralt as apprentice before her birth in tha same short story.
Novels take place 12 years afterwards or so. Before the start of saga Cintra was invaded by it's southern neighbour Nilfgaard Empire (witcher's world only superpower) and totally devastated. Nilfgaard's advance was eventually stopped by alliance of Northern Kingdoms and Sorcerers Guild, but Cintra remained occupied. Ciri disappeared and it is generally assumed that she's dead, however in fact she was saved by Geralt and taken to the Kaer Mohen - the Witcher's guild castle and home.
The beginning of saga deals with the attempts of Nilfgaard emperor, northern kings and various other groups to find her (she's politically very important person, Nilfgaard has recovered from it's defeat and new war appears to be on horizon) and Geralt&co to protect her. The guild of sorcerers also tries find her, because of her very powerfull latent magical abilities inherited from her mother .

SPOILER: Elves

Elves play some role in the book but not central - in human word they are opressed race living in human cities or in mountains and some of them would like to regain their lost land (together with dwarves who are better integrated, but still despised by general populace) There are rumours that they plan uprising and guerilla war.

And BTW the 1st book (but also the subsequent ones) is open ended so don't expect that anything will be resolved in it - it's basically one story divided into 5 books.

• 1 month later...
Just got another raving review on The Last Wish (from the illustrous Pictish/blue boarder) and what can I say, I am so picking this one up. Apparently (so I am [s]told [/s] pressured into stating) so should you!

As I mentioned in the "The Witcher" CRPG thread, I did just pick up "The Last Wish" and I am liking it a lot. It's funny how all the stories seem to be in some way related to well known fairy tales.
One question though: are the other books as episodic as the first one or are they "real" novels?

[quote]Just got another raving review on The Last Wish (from the illustrous Pictish/blue boarder) and what can I say, I am so picking this one up. Apparently (so I am told pressured into stating) so should you![/quote]

We've got a copy here if you want to borrow it

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1152499' date='Dec 15 2007, 13.41']As I mentioned in the "The Witcher" CRPG thread, I did just pick up "The Last Wish" and I am liking it a lot. It's funny how all the stories seem to be in some way related to well known fairy tales.
One question though: are the other books as episodic as the first one or are they "real" novels?[/quote]

Sword of Destiny is short story collection, other books are novels.

Just finished The Last Wish. I enjoyed it ok, but not quite as exciting and original as I'd thought it would be. So slightly disappointed with it overall. How does it compare with the later books - are they similar in length, format, etc?

the later books are a series of novels, so they're quite different. Less fairy-tale like, for once, with a more complicated plot, and I think darker.

however, what I think you'd love zak is his hussite trilogy -- basically a semi-historical, semi fanasy retelling of hussite wars. Who knows, if the witcher saga fares well, maybe they'll translate the trilogy too ;)

[quote name='Hereward' post='1105400' date='Nov 14 2007, 18.18']Yennefer is shagalicious. I'm just saying.[/quote]
In a BDSM kind of way. :P

[quote name='Filippa Eilhart' post='1155314' date='Dec 17 2007, 08.22']however, what I think you'd love zak is his hussite trilogy -- basically a semi-historical, semi fanasy retelling of hussite wars. Who knows, if the witcher saga fares well, maybe they'll translate the trilogy too ;)[/quote]
That'd be sweet.

[quote name='Filippa Eilhart']that was kinda the point, ya know[/quote]

I gathered that, I just wasn't aware of it going in. What I meant was that it was a fun take on these well known stories, not "funny" in a strange or off-putting way.

[quote name='Filippa Eilhart']however, what I think you'd love zak is his hussite trilogy -- basically a semi-historical, semi fanasy retelling of hussite wars.[/quote]

Looks as if these are the only Sapkowski books, other than "The Last Wish", currently available in Germany. I liked the latter, but I am not sure if I want to buy a trilogy of hardcovers, though I find the subject matter intriguing. I think I am going to check the library.

• 3 months later...
Synopsis for Blood of Elves

[quote]For more than a hundred years humans, dwarves, gnomes and elves lived together in relative peace, though that had not always been the case, for in the past elves were much mistreated, to the point of near-annihilation. But times have changed, the uneasy peace is over and now the races once again fight each other - and themselves: dwarves are killing their kinsmen, and elves are murdering humans and elves, at least those elves who are friendly to humans ...Into this tumultuous time is born a child for whom the witchers of the world have been waiting. Ciri, the granddaughter of Queen Calanthe, the Lioness of Cintra, has strange powers and a stranger destiny, for prophecy names her the Flame, one with the power to change the world - for good, or for evil ...Geralt, the witcher of Rivia, has taken Ciri to the relative safety of the Witchers' Settlement, but it soon becomes clear that Ciri isn't like the other witchers. Rather than undergo the mutations that gift supernatural abilities but all too often strip away emotion and human sensitivities, Ciri's own unique power is harnessed to the service of those beset by evil.As the political situation grows ever dimmer, with the threat of war hanging almost palpably over the land, Geralt and Ciri are being pursued by someone who understand exactly what the prophecy means - and exactly what Ciri's power can do.

This time Geralt may have met his match.[/quote]

Well I for one absolutely loved the last wish. Of course since I picked it up randomly a while ago in a bookshop I never expected anything out of it so it was a most pleasant surprise.

Meh. I've never been that impressed with the books, and to compare them to Martin's work (where Sapkowski's plot can be summarized as "everyone is looking for Ciri) is an insult to Mr. Martin.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin

[quote name='fgalkin' post='1282054' date='Mar 20 2008, 13.53']Meh. I've never been that impressed with the books, and to compare them to Martin's work (where Sapkowski's plot can be summarized as "everyone is looking for Ciri) is an insult to Mr. Martin.[/quote]

where were they compared to Martin?

[quote name='kcf' post='1282082' date='Mar 20 2008, 14.58']where were they compared to Martin?[/quote]
Second post in this thread:

[quote name='Sandello' post='701159' date='Mar 13 2007, 08.33']I've read all his books in Russian, so I telling you - these are very good, nearly on Martin's level. Go Geralt![/quote]

I've read the same books in Russian, and my reaction was "mediocre at best."

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin

I'm about 2/3 into [i]The Last Wish[/i], and I have to admit that I'm wondering what the whole buzz was all about. . . :unsure:

Not bad at all, but I was expecting the shit, you know. So far it's an okay read for me.

Patrick

[quote name='pat5150' post='1282361' date='Mar 20 2008, 22.36']I'm about 2/3 into [i]The Last Wish[/i], and I have to admit that I'm wondering what the whole buzz was all about. . . :unsure:

Not bad at all, but I was expecting the shit, you know. So far it's an okay read for me.

Patrick[/quote]

I think it's more to do with the relative light touch of the writer mixed in with gritty elements and some odd RPG elements (pubs being insured against magical destruction, for example).

It won me over when Geralt had to confront the Evil Goat-Man who attacks people with iron balls. Frankly, Goodkind himself couldn't have come up with a superior villain.

Archived