Andrzej Sapkowski

Calibandar

Larry, I was wondering if you finally got your spanish translation of the last book of The Witcher saga. If so, I'd like to read your opinion of the whole saga to compare it to my own (I've read the original years ago and I'm still convinced that Battle of Brenna from the last book is the best fantasy battle I've ever read).

I did, almost exactly a year ago, if I recall. I didn't have time to review the last two volumes due to months of backlogged paperwork that had to be completed, but if I had reviewed them, the reviews would have been favorable, particularly in how the final scenes build off of the Arthurian parallels and go in some surprising directions. Also helps that the translation was well-done.

• 1 month later...

Gollancz revealed the UK cover art for Times of Contempt:

http://www.gollancz....y-of-christmas/

And finally, in August 2012, Andrzej Sapkowski, author of the series the cult bestselling game THE WITCHER was based on, and winner of the very first Legend Award for best novel of the year, is back on your shelves with a vengeance. It’s impossible to miss Times of Contempt, not least because it has exceptional new artwork from the amazing Alejandro Colucci!

Cool, I hope this means Orbit (US) will be publishing the book shortly thereafter the UK version. I've been holding off reading Blood of the Elves until the next book was at least announced for US release.

This is great news. Been looking forward to that book for ages.

Side note, isn't that artwork recycled from the Spanish edition? I have definitely seen it before somewhere.

Side note to the side note, it is strange that Gollancz have used a different style of design for each cover in the series.

ETA: A quick googling led me to Larry's blog, where the picture appears as the cover of Baptism of Fire, the third novel.

This is great news. Been looking forward to that book for ages.

Side note, isn't that artwork recycled from the Spanish edition? I have definitely seen it before somewhere.

Side note to the side note, it is strange that Gollancz have used a different style of design for each cover in the series.

ETA: A quick googling led me to Larry's blog, where the picture appears as the cover of Baptism of Fire, the third novel.

Yeah, it's odd seeing cover art featuring Milva a book before she appears. I guess the Ciri artwork from the Alamut edition was a bit odd for Gollancz.

So, only two of these have ever been released in America, correct?

Yup, the first and third (of seven books in total). Though the first two books are short story collections that act as prequels for the five-volume series, so arguably they're not essential.

Yup, the first and third (of seven books in total). Though the first two books are short story collections that act as prequels for the five-volume series, so arguably they're not essential.

Does the second book not introduce Ciri though? Which while it not be essential it certainly would be helpful

That is exactly the case and I personally know quite a few people, who, having read only the books that was published in English, felt a bit lost after Blood of Elves. But what can you do, apparently short stories don't sell well enough. I wonder if they release it after all at last.

• 2 months later...

There definitely felt like a gap of understanding between The Last Wish and Blood of Elves.I remember reading it, thinking, "Okay, I think Ciri is that one princess's daughter from the short story, but who is this "Triss" woman?"

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That sucks. In case of The Republic of Thieves they at least have a reason for postponing it on and on, but here? I can't see any reasonable explanation. If it sells that bad, they should have dropped it years ago, instead of alluring people still.

That sucks. In case of The Republic of Thieves they at least have a reason for postponing it on and on, but here? I can't see any reasonable explanation. If it sells that bad, they should have dropped it years ago, instead of alluring people still.

In this case there are substantial legal issues involved. Lawyers and translators and rights-holders in two different countries, and there are various other countries involved (I believe the USA is using the UK editions, so they may be a party as well to the negotiations). My understanding was that all of the issues had been solved earlier this year, but clearly not.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived