Andrzej Sapkowski

Calibandar

aha! he is called Hereward in the original, too!

sigh. you know that taking out one book out of the bookshelf will mean the urge to reread all of them, right?

also, I know how it all ends :P

Hereward is a fine name. Reminds me of Hereward the Wake.

Anyway... I read that short story linked to above. I must say... I'm impressed. Didn't like the first sentence, but then... it grabbed me as very few things have. Definitely swords and sorcery, both done very well. But a very good fairy-tale atmosphere on top of it, and a very strong resolution. Plus, a well done touch of mystery.

I've got to find this book. Let's hope it's available on this side of the sea.

Last Wish is definitely first chronologically, a but for some reason it was published latter, IIRC. The parody story was first published in special issue of Gdansk SF Club fanzine, I don't recall for whom it was written. After that Sapkowski was forced to repeat in all convention that it is not how real saga ends:)

Third collection has non-Witcher stories, but it lacks Maladie which Sapkowski himself thinks his best story (and I tend to agree). :(

I am happy to hear that translation is good since style is probably the strongest point of Sapkowski's writing which makes it easy to kill by bad translation.

EDIT: There was also a movie and a TV miniseries, but we prefer not to talk about it :sick:

Thanks!

The translation has a few gaps in it, a few errors. But nothing that detracts from the power of the story. And a damn fine story it is. I'm very happy more of his work is going to be translated... this is up there with the best.

In this one it's very impressive how he pulls it off. Heavy themes here, pretentious almost, and yet he gets away with it, leaves me feeling he has said something profound, and yet has me laughing out loud at the last sentence and pulls it all back down to earth.

If his novels are anywhere near as good as these short stories, they'd better get on with those translations. I want to read them.

Edit: minor annoyance with this particular story was a rather ham-fisted allusion to modern politics.

I've also found another translated Witcher story available on the net. (on the website for that game.) Called "lesser evil." Haven't read it yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know when The Last Wish is supposed to be published? Both amazon and the book depository gives the date at 19 April, but it's still not available. Ayone in the know?

Lucifer's right hand, the german publishing house dtv reissues the first two books (the story collections) starting this june and then - drum roll - they'll publish the five novels we've been denied before! :drool:

Still, it will take some time. They'll probably publish just one book per year.

To be on the safe side I started learning polish ( a beautiful language though trying at times - who needs seven (!) cases?). So one way or other one day I will be reading the whole Geralt cycle!

Did I just delurk? Oh, my god! :leaving:

• 1 month later...

Uh... the last wish is short stories. So why on earth would you care about the series taking a long while to get published? The last wish isn't part of the series. The couple of stories I read online stood by themselves. They just share the main character and setting.

Crannogman

Accordingly to all Russian sources and to people who have read all books it is a part of a 7 book sequence. The book is not listed as stand alone.

I think the series title is Wedjmak or Vedjmak or something like that.

Filippa Eilhart

Well, there is a small story :) I don't know the proper title, it sounds like: Something is going to end, something is going to begin...?

Archived