Andrzej Sapkowski

Calibandar

I see the Spanish translation is [i]Tiempo de odio[/i], which would translate as either [i]Time of Hatred[/i] or [i]Time of Disdain[/i].

I thought that might be the case, which is why I made sure to list both possible translations. Wouldn't surprise me if the title was translated via a non-Polish title, despite it being translated directly from Polish. That being said, looks like I'll read [i]La espada del destino[/i] and [i]Blood of the Elves[/i] at least for 2008 :D

I quite liked the book, though I'm not a fan of short stories in general.

I was a huge fairy tale addict as a youngster, and I found the twistedness of them quite amusing. At the same time you did get a feeling that there was condsiderable character depth there.

Looking forward to the novels, and will probably acquire them in hardback or tpb if I can.

Here's a dramatization of [i]The Witcher's[/i] climax. [url="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27143.html"]Dial-up users beware.[/url]

I played the game before reading the short story collection, so the first story seemed quite familiar.

Interesting video. I'm especially surprised by the keen attention to detail with which the video was created.

For example:
1) Near the halfway point (notice the congruence between text and video)--"As he walked, the witcher unwound a long, strong silver chain, weighted at the end.
The moment the striga tensed and leapt the chain whistled through the air and, coiling like a snake, twined itself around the monster's shoulders, neck and head. The striga's jump became a tumble, and she let out an ear-piercing whistle...
The chain snapped. The silver links scattered like rain in all directions, ringing against the stone. The striga, blind with fury, tumbled on the attack, roaring..." (Sapkowski, 35).

2) This is my favorite example: "Geralt was close again, the blade shimmering in his hand. His eyes lit up with an ominous glow, a hoarse roar tore through his clenched teeth (a roar that resembles the symbol on his amulet). The striga backed away, pushed by the power of concentrated hatred, anger and violence which emanated from the attacking man and struck her in waves, penetrating mind and body. Terrified and pained by feelings unknown to her she let out a thin, shaking squeak, turned on the spot and ran off in a desperate, crazy escape down the dark triangle of the palace's corridors." (37).

First post.

• 5 weeks later...
I finally received my copy of the second collection, [i][url="http://ofblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/no-sea-disponsible-in-ingls-andrzej.html"]La espada del destino[/url][/i]. New cover art, which is nice, I believe. I'll have a review later this month, but I can say after reading the first two stories, that I'm inclined to rate this one higher than [i]The Last Wish[/i].

Let me dumbly make sure of all this: It's not coming out in english?

In that case I may get it in spanish, but how any books is there in that particular series? Just the one? It's part 2 of the last wish?

There are two short story collections with linking segments. The first is [i]The Last Wish[/i] and introduces the world and the characters. The second is [i]The Sword of Destiny[/i] and sets up the events of the novels.

The novels then begin with [i]Blood of the Elves[/i]. There are five of them and have an ongoing story arc.

Apparently it's not essential to read the two story collections before reading the novels, but it certainly helps a hell of a lot.

eplace the Witcher with Last wish in my post, of course. Old age and all that.
I did read and enjoy the last wish and I read spanish so I'm certainly not going to deprive myself of the second part.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1396074' date='Jun 12 2008, 13.41']There are two short story collections with linking segments. The first is [i]The Last Wish[/i] and introduces the world and the characters. The second is [i]The Sword of Destiny[/i] and sets up the events of the novels.

The novels then begin with [i]Blood of the Elves[/i]. There are five of them and have an ongoing story arc.

Apparently it's not essential to read the two story collections before reading the novels, but it certainly helps a hell of a lot.[/quote]

Having just finished it earlier today (review shortly), I think it's a big mistake not to release this before the five novel sequence, as one really gets to know just who Ciri is (the girl who'll play a major role in the first novel), not to mention a lot, lot more about the Geralt/Yennefer dynamics.

As for reading it in Spanish, it was quite excellent, but it set me back about $60. Gotta love import shipping costs...

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1396288' date='Jun 12 2008, 14.58']Having just finished it earlier today (review shortly), I think it's a big mistake not to release this before the five novel sequence, as one really gets to know just who Ciri is (the girl who'll play a major role in the first novel), not to mention a lot, lot more about the Geralt/Yennefer dynamics.

As for reading it in Spanish, it was quite excellent, but it set me back about $60. Gotta love import shipping costs...[/quote]
Shit. Well DF you're just gonna have to translate it and send it my way. I'll even pay for half of the shipping. I'll take it untranslated if you're too lazy to do this simple favor for me, but it might take me a while to get through it in Spanish.

Ha! I'm not parting with my expensive book, and it'll take me a year or so to translate it decently, especially since the Spanish translator did not change some of the names to provide the puns found in the Polish (or in the English translation).

And here's [url="http://ofblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/andrzej-sapkowski-la-espada-del-destino.html"]my review[/url] of this second collection. Liked it even more than [i]The Last Wish[/i[.

• 1 month later...
This might sound strange at first, but since I knew the English translation of the third book, [i]Blood of the Elves[/i] was coming out in two months, I went ahead and ordered the Spanish translation of the [i]fourth[/i] book, [i]Tiempo de Odio[/i], this weekend. While I have hopes for getting the English translation in the next few weeks, I decided that I'd download the e-book for the third book in Spanish translation ([i]Sangre de los Elfos[/i]) and read that (despite my general reluctance to read novel-length e-books) over the next few days while I await for the arrival of the fourth book. Then in a few weeks/couple of months, I'll read the third book in English translation and review it.

Anyone else's head hurting about now? :P

Needless to say, I rarely go through this trouble for books, but I happen to liked Sapkowski's second book so much...

[quote name='Filippa Eilhart' post='1296655' date='Apr 1 2008, 16.53']I was going to comment on pat's review, but ellestra, whoever she is, said it all :)

I was around 13 when I first read the short stories, so obviously my impressions will be different. I wonder if people will change their minds after they read the novel; the short stories, after all, are just Sapkowski's bit of fun and practice ground before he wrote the big thing. Or maybe it's just big in my memory and nostalgia :)[/quote]

Completely off-topic, but it's amusing reading a story and suddenly encountering the namesake of a poster's SN. Especially when the said character is described in the first scene as being "although attractive, she definitely was very disagreeable." :P

:lol:

when I first registered on ezboard, I wanted a Sapkowski name, but both Ciri and Yennefer were taken. Filippa is a cool name, and I do like her as a character. Plus she can turn into an owl.

eta: I used Falka on another board, but I think this was taken too (can't remember) and besides she isn't much of a person I can identify with. Too vengeful. (Actually I don't think she appears until very late in the series so noone will know what the hell I'm talking about anyway).

Archived