Art of Ice and Fire

Lordwalker

Do it.

Exactly. It baffles me as well. The one by Amok is probably best but he is too old.

I'm also wondering why Samwell Tarly, repeatedly described as red haired, is pictures as black-haired by Amok. Mishit I guess.

Just read the sections of the "North" and "Beyond The Wall". Thoughts:

Winterfell by Steve Stone is impressive. I'm only wondering if it was *that* huge? Were there so many different castles and keeps?

The Dreadfort is good. So is the one by Roeoesli of Jon Snow, very reminiscent of the one Amok did. Could not find a single one of Eddard that fitted.

The Jamie Sims and Jenny Dolfen work is very poor IMO, without exception. The Reeds were good, as were "The Umber Bannermen". Also liked the one that showed one of the first Starks in blue armour, maybe that was even the best of the bunch. That and "Things I do for love", which is a terrible scene superbly depicted.

But my main question regarding this section apples to Wolves. Why did not a single one of the artists get that Direwolves are not ordinary wolves? Virtually all of them look like perfectly ordinary wolves. How can so many have missed this?

I just found that detracted from the book's overall quality.

Beyond the Wall:

Have not seen a single good depiction of Wildlings, Wights or The Others. I thought Tormund had a long white beard. I would imagine the Wall to be significantly taller as well, but maybe they just didn't have the space. All in all not a fairly weak section. I guess the only that stood out was Jim Burns' "Mammoths".

Bought the artbook today. Thankfully, the artwork is much better than the artwork in the RPG book, but I think the book would have benefited if the pictures would have had sources attached to them and not only titles and artists. Such as "artwork for the CCG" . the boardgame, or cover art from Croatia.....and so forth.

The art is of rather mixed quality. Very few are spectacular, but also only few are dreadful....

I wonder if these artist get inspired from other artists work on the same subject? That might explain why the bad versions of Robb keep showing up, as opposed to new takes on him that are more closely inspired by the descriptions in the text.

Winterfell by Steve Stone is impressive. I'm only wondering if it was *that* huge? Were there so many different castles and keeps?

My thoughts exactly. Though a nice picture, I doubt it comes anywhere close to the "real" Winterfell. I don't recall that there are any mountains near Winterfell. Why would Bran have the need to climbe towers with all those rocks around? The few descriptions we get in the book of Winterfell's surroundings hint more at a rather flat country, though with lots of woods. And the dimensions are way of. This is no castle but more a whole city. You'd probably need several hundred men to put a watch on those walls. No way Theon could have held this large a "castle" with his 50(?) man for any time, and yet we are told he was able to have enough (more or less) men on Winterfell's walls by only abandoning the outer wall.

Actually, the first time I saw this picture on Fantasy Flight's HP I thought it was a nice picture of the Gates of the Moon, until I read the title :) ( But the details would be a bit off for that, too)

So, having read this enjoyable book, a selection of top ten bests:

* Rhaegar vs Robert by Mike Miller

* Targaryen portraits by Amok.

* Aegon and sisters by Schoenherr

* Baelor Targaryen by Miller

* First Stark by Targete

*Winterfell throne

* Green Dreams by Pilcerova (though Summer is all wrong again, but I like the feel of the image)

* Things I do for love by Pilcerova

* Wildling army by Finer

* Cersei, Tywin and Jaime by Komarck. Superb renditions. Don't like his Tyrion though.

*Gregor Clegane by Komarck. Much better than the one by Mark Evans. Komarck draws things in proportion, Evans makes him unrealistic even for Gregor.

* The sketch of The Eyrie by John Howe is flawless IMO.

*Rorge and Biter portraits by Amok are very apt.

* Shae is very enticing isn't she? Prettier than I thought she was.

* Stephen Youll's "Clash of kings" paintings remains one of my favorite pieces ever. Again, seems like a flawless and beautiful piece of art to me, capturing the look of Melisandre (something which everyone has huge trouble with), Stannis, the seagull, Davos......

I suspect that the mountains were supposed to be hills, which we're told Winterfell does encompass -- though I didn't quite imagine the hills to be that large.

It is in fact described as a sprawling complex, with abandoned keeps and towers scattered within it.

This is how Miklis depicts it. His Karhold painting notes he got a detailed description from George for that one, at least, so it's possible that he received similar information from GRRM regarding the Dreadfort.

He does a piece showing Syrio facing off against Meryn Trant, and may have done others -- that's just the only one that comes to mind. It has a nice style to it, but it's not one of my favorites.

G7,

Hey. :)

I really liked the image of Arya and Jon, myself; it may be less technically accomplished than your later work, but there's a strong sense of the connection between the siblings.

What I had been expecting, though, to see your image of Qhorin and Jon before the fire (which is so beautifully colored) in the book, but that wasn't the case. I think there was just one depiction of Qhorin in the whole book, which surprised me.

I hope if they do go about making a second volume that we'll get to see some more of your work there in. The image of the dead Rhaegar at the ford would be an excellent addition, for example (and IMHO).... Or, who knows, maybe they'll commission something new. ;)

If they commissioned something new, that would be the coolest thing ever, of course. :) I wouldn't want the Rhaegar one in there - the perspective is screwed and I'm not happy with it; in fact, the only place where it's online is the Citadel - but there may be some new art. With some luck, I'll be able to get at least a sketch or two done over the holidays. I've only read a quarter of AFfC, but Brienne is really, really growing on me.

As for the "Night Gathers" one with Qhorin - yes, that is one of the few I would have been halfways comfortable with. I suppose the style is considered too unrealistic for ASoIaF. Not that my style is that realistic in general. ;)

GoldSeven: If it matters, I for one was thrilled to find some of your art in the book (especially since your pieces are among my favorites). :) I wish the one where Old Nan tells a story to the Stark kids and Jon had been included.

GoldSeven: I'm going to chime in here as well, I was very pleased that your work was in there! It's great, and it's very different in feel from a good chunk of the other work and contrasts nicely with the other stuff.

Like I said, I was pleased as punch that your work is in there, it doesn't look anywhere near as overproduced or slick as some of the other stuff.

Congratulations on your inclusion in the book! I would have liked to have seen more of your work in the book.

Archived