The Name of the Wind Thread

wuzzup3003

I know that there’s plenty of press surrounding Patrick Rothfuss and “The Name of the Windâ€, but here’s some more for you if you can’t get enough. So, you can check out an interview that I did with Mr. Rothfuss HERE. We started it in early April, but because of time constraints, etc., didn’t finish it until mid-May. I think it turned out pretty good though. I tried to ask questions that hadn’t been asked already by the interviews I’ve seen, but I think there were some overlaps. Still, some interesting things in there if you decide to check it out. Thanks to anyone who does, and I hope everyone has a nice & safe Memorial Day weekend…

Robert

I'll probably finish the book tonight and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I don't find Kvothe's love interest annoying at all but I do not trust her and therefore wish Kvothe would get her out of his system.

I get the impression that the girl is:

SPOILER: NotW
One of those knights Kvothe is interested in, or perhaps an agent thereof. She's definitely up to something and her flaky nature gives her a good excuse to move around and gather intelligence.

• 5 weeks later...

I finished it pretty recently and loved it. It's funny how fast I read this book considering nothing really happens. The writing style made it incredibly hard for me to put it down. Can't wait for the second.

Guest Ser Jaime
I finished it pretty recently and loved it. It's funny how fast I read this book considering nothing really happens. The writing style made it incredibly hard for me to put it down. Can't wait for the second.

Rothfuss' style reminds me of Tad Williams (and Robin Hobb, to a certain extent).

And that's not a bad thing at all.

I'm obviously a bit late to the game, but I finally got around to reading The Name of the Wind. What can I say that doesn't come off as redundant? I liked it immensely, that part's for sure. It's not the best fantasy book ever written, nor this it in any way pretend to be. However, I found both the story, the ploy and the near-poetic style of it to be fascinating. I don't doubt for a second that the grandeur of Kvothe's tale is only hinted at in this opening chapter.

I thank Pat for making me aware of the book, Wert for convincing me to buy it sooner rather than later, and lastly, Larry for his excellent interview with Rothfuss that made me pick tNotW above the tons of books in my stockpile. It doesn't happen that often that I find series that capture me in the same way that this book did. The last time it happened was with tLoLL, and while this book is very different in almost every way, it stroke an new and enjoyable chord on my imaginary lute. I'm forever grateful to good advice ;)

Here's waiting for The Wise Man's Fear!

If I made you aware of this book, then it's mission accomplished for me! :D

Considering that I'll likely be the first person to read the sequel, I'll let you know how it goes!

Patrick

Rothfuss' style reminds me of Tad Williams (and Robin Hobb, to a certain extent).

And that's not a bad thing at all.

Although less wordy than Tad Williams, which is a good thing. Really, Tad needs to cut down the wordcount...

Although I think that TNotW could have used a few slashes here and there too, it is really a good, very entertaining book. I agree with most that I would rate it below LoLL (and RSURS for that matter) and about the same as The Blade Itself.

I've been lucky enough in the past few days to read a standalone novella length section of the sequel to TNotW, and if it's representative of the second book as a whole, NO ONE is going to be disappointed.

Best,

Bill

www.subterraneanpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

250 pages in. The book does nothing for me. I find the characterisation bland, and the way people behave completely unbelievable; the same feeling I had when I tried to read Robert Jordan. (Modern mindsets in a pre-modern society. Literate peasants, altruistic shop-keepers, etc. Everybody feels like from a Robin Hood movie from the fifties.)

So far, the worst book I've read this year, by a wide margin. Also the most boring, which is inexcusable for genre fiction.

I'll read something else, and maybe come back to this one since you are all so excited about it.

Might we at some point in the future see a set of Sub Press books put out of Rothfuss' books?

Alas, for a variety of reasons, a set of limiteds is not in cards. However, we will have a Pat Rothfuss book, an odd little project, likely on our schedule next year.

Best,

Bill

www.subterraneanpress.com

250 pages in. The book does nothing for me. I find the characterisation bland, and the way people behave completely unbelievable; the same feeling I had when I tried to read Robert Jordan. (Modern mindsets in a pre-modern society. Literate peasants, altruistic shop-keepers, etc. Everybody feels like from a Robin Hood movie from the fifties.)

So far, the worst book I've read this year, by a wide margin. Also the most boring, which is inexcusable for genre fiction.

I'll read something else, and maybe come back to this one since you are all so excited about it.

:agree:

and I'm only 142 pages in.

*wanders off to reread Asimov's Caves of Steel*

I saw the new cover for the paperback edition of The Name of the Wind, as well as the cover art for Wise Man's Fears while I was in New York City. I'm happy to report that both are quite an improvement compared to the fan-favorite cover that graced this fantasy debut! ;) The gargoyle cover wasn't that bad, but it was nothing to write home about, either. . .

Patrick

I've started reading this and it looks like being one of those books I'll be embarrassed about leaving on the book pile for so long. It's not a demanding read but there's something about it that's keeping the pages turning... :read:

Archived