Dune- The Letdown

JCoj

Welcome everyone, to the Tuth about DUNE!! (waits for nonexistant applause to cease) Thank you. Now, as anyone who has read the entire Dune series (the original, not the prequels, which are pretty good IMO) knows, Dune sucks.

Yes. It sucks.

In fact, the last five books (count them; a six book series and five sucked) weren't worth the paper their written on, and same goes for the last couple chapters of the original, which was shooting for Best Book Of All Time before finishing with and end crappier than The Pearl (any of you Jon Stienback (sp?) fans out there wont agree, but come on) The rest of the series ranges from the barely readable to the utterly despicable. God Emperor was especially pathetic.

Now of course, comes the defense of Dune (which actually sounds better as a book titile than the book titles themselves!!). It is a portrayal of the future, its deep, its not supposed to be readable its supposed to make sense (which I actually have heard!!) well, so what. Foundation does the same thing buts it's readable. Same goes for alot of good sci-fi and even fantasy wriritng. What makes Dune so special?

Your credibility went from zero to negative bazillion when you praised the modern prequels.

Dune is amazingly great.

Dune Messiah is good.

Children of Dune is pretty good

God Emperor of Dune was pretty dreadful.

Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune started to get good again

Alas, Herbert died before we could learn where he intended to go.

I'm not sure that when people argue Dune is good they are refering to the tenth of sequels to the original book. Are there really apologists of the god-emperor of dune, or are you just a troll? :P

Alas, Herbert died before we could learn where he intended to go.

Alas and woe, because the Herbert son found notes his father left, and the most recent Dune volume is supposed to tell what happens after Chapter House, based on these notes.

Hunters of Dune I believe is the title.

And when I check on Amazon, it is described as the 'penultimate' Dune book. Can there be more barrel-scrapings to come?

Aratan

And when I check on Amazon, it is described as the 'penultimate' Dune book. Can there be more barrel-scrapings to come?
Well, clearly. the ultimate one has to follow the penultimate one.

Yes. Sandworms of Dune will be the chronologically final Dune novel. However, the writers will then go and write Paul of Dune, the story of Paul Atreides whilst he was growing up and between the first three novels.

(heaves up own liver in disgust at this outrageously blatant corpse-robbing)

Are there really apologists of the god-emperor of dune, or are you just a troll? :P

What a strange comment, given that no one has yet to defend God-Emperor in this thread...

But hell, I loved the first four books and thought the series got much worse after God-Emperor. I found Leto to be a fascinating character right up to his end.

Quincy

In fact, the last five books (count them; a six book series and five sucked) weren't worth the paper their written on, and same goes for the last couple chapters of the original, which was shooting for Best Book Of All Time before finishing with and end crappier than The Pearl (any of you Jon Stienback (sp?) fans out there wont agree, but come on)

What's so bad about the ending of Dune? There are some things I think could have been done a bit better, but it still worked pretty well from what I remember.

I do think Dune is an excellent book, there is a compelling plot, interesting characters, excellent world-building and plenty of good science fiction concepts. Unfortunately, Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune only had those things sporadically and had increasingly contrived plotting. I didn't read any more of the books after that, but the sequels being mediocre doesn't stop the original novel being good.

God Emperor of Dune is an awesome title. But it's a crappy book. I thought the first one was great, the second was good, and they just kept getting worse from there. When I recommend Dune to anyone, I only recommend the first one. Reading more is just a let-down. And what's wrong with the ending?

Yes. Sandworms of Dune will be the chronologically final Dune novel. However, the writers will then go and write Paul of Dune, the story of Paul Atreides whilst he was growing up and between the first three novels.

(heaves up own liver in disgust at this outrageously blatant corpse-robbing)

I really hope you're joking, or I may very well have to kill myself.

That graverobbing trash?

Credibility out the window was an understatement.

/close thread

QFT. Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson's Dune ripoffs are just plain awful. Horribly contrived, completely transparent, awful prose, flat characters, etc.

This has to be a joke thread, right? Suggesting that the Dune prequels are superior to the original series? Whatever you may think about Frank Herbert's later works (I thought they were OK, tbh), how can you possibly suggest they are worse than the corpse-raping atrocity that was Dune: House Harkonnen?? The mind boggles.

It seems like no one is looking forward to Sandworms of Dune, even though the book features a technologically advanced human society vs powerful artificial intelligences war. The ideas seem great to me, but all agree that the prequels and sequels not written by Herbert are rubbish so I'll take a cue from that.

Archived