May Reading.

Frosty

Gonna start Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, get this, I never ordered it, the ultra cute Librarian must have dropped a few lines and ended up oredering it in for me instead of my Stego top picks, but oh well, always wanted to read him, just not yet.

Anyone else ever buy or get given a book you had not intended on reading and it turned out okay in the long run?

I can't say thats ever happened to me but I think you will be pleased with Slaughterhouse 5. That book is one of my favorites. Vonnegut has a writing style that on the one hand is incredibly simple but on the other hand able to tackle the deepest of topics. His blend of comedy and tragic is just perfect. Have fun.

I'm a bit everywhere at the moment. I started Erikson's Reapers Gale, but decided to reread House of Chains (for some reason on a whim) and I have to admit I'm pretty addicted to my Star Wars Legacy of the Force reading - I like it more than the Zahn trilogy which is arguably the best ever done under the SW banner.

Also still working on what I posted previously, whcih was:

Right now I'm working on a few books: the Klima anthology, Logorrhea featuring Hal Duncan, Jeff VanderMeer, Anna Tambour, Theodora Goss, Michael Moorcock, Jay Lake, Liz Williams, Elizabeth Hand, Tim Pratt, Alan DeNiro, Daniel Abraham among others, as well as Tobias Buckell's forthcoming Ragamuffin - the loose sequel to his debut Crystal Rain - that should be fun. Also going back and rereading Jon Courtenay Grimwood's 9tail Fox and Best American Fantasy edited by Jeff and Anne Vandermeer.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner.

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

The Last Colony by John Scalzi.

Hm, every book I read last month begins with "the". :uhoh:

Just got Joe Abercrombies The Blade Itself, so I'm about to start that.

I am 3/4 of the way through, myself. My early May reading will be Before They are Hanged. It will be vacation/beach reading next week, and I have high hopes!

Gonna start Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, get this, I never ordered it, the ultra cute Librarian must have dropped a few lines and ended up oredering it in for me instead of my Stego top picks, but oh well, always wanted to read him, just not yet.

Just got Slaughterhouse Five myself. But before I read it I'll have to finish reading Stross' Accelerando, and start and finish Kay's Ysabel.

I tried reading Left Behind (borrowed from a friend) but had to give up after 50 pages as my eyes were bleeding. Those guys can NOT write. Now reading The Name Of The Wind, seems pretty good so far.

Read:

Snake Agent by Liz Williams: Fun mesh of horror/sci-fi/mystery/fantasy genres although not really strong in any single genre. Some really cool monsters(Sun Demons, Crab Demons, Giant Flying Chinese Dragon) and awesome imagery of Hell(10,000 feet high Zigguruts, Iron Towers and Chinese Pagoda skyscrapers under a blood red sky).

Now reading:

The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers

Gridlinked by Neal Asher

The Last Guardian of Everness by John C. Wright

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman

On Deck:

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

The Skinner by Neal Asher

Mists of Everness by John C. Wright

The Jennifer Morgue by Charles Stross

The Bloody Red Baron by Kim Newman

Just finished Carter Beats the Devil by Glenn David Gold.

Currently reading Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris and Misery by Stephen King (was curious to see how it stacked up against the movie - currently, I'm wishing I was watching the movie instead).

On deck: Rules of Ascension by David B. Coe. Has anyone read this? I picked it up on a whim, and I don't know what to expect.

Spartan - At first I really did not like it and a lot of personal stuff that I totally butt-heads with on Vonnegut's writings, but I really am enjoying his style, even though he is flip flopping back and forth thru time, this usually drives me insane :bang: but I am enjoying his style and approach thus far. :D

Slaughterhouse Five FTW!!! Seriously, it's really good. So's the interview with Terry Gross where he discusses his experiences in the war (re-broadcast a couple weeks ago upon his death).

Rounding out April (it's still April!) I read some shorter work:

The Fantasy Writer's Assistant and The Empire of Ice Cream short story collections by Jeffrey Ford. The title stories of each book were by far the best, and among the best short stories I've read. "Fantasy Writer's Assistant" was hilarious. The zombie one and the one with the brain in a jar were also excellent. If these descriptions intrigue you, by all means, pick up some Ford today.

Also, Behold the Man by Micheal Moorcock, a novella that was my first exposure to Moorcock. Intriguing, and if you're from a Christ-following religious background, you may even find certain parts psychologically horrifying. Apparently, Christian fundies issued him death threats. If you find that intriguing, pick this up! I've added Cornelius Chronicles to my to-read list for the summer.

Now I'm going to check out Otherland by Tad Williams. Hopefully it'll be an interesting time-sink.

I finished reading Joe Abercrombie's "Before They Were Hanged", which was very entertaining and also a significant improvement on "The Blade Itself". I'm looking forward to the concluding book now, although it does seem there are a lot of things to be resolved in a single volume.

I'm now about to start reading Robert Charles Wilson's "The Chronoliths". I enjoyed "Spin" a lot, so hopefully this will be up to a similar standard.

Been reading a lot of engineering textbooks lately. I have yet to finish any, but am roughly half through Hydraulic Engineering Systems, Principals of Geotechnical Engineering, Traffic & Highway Engineering, among others.

Where to begin?! No plot line to speak of, terrible characterization, and can we say info dump??

I don't know how new editions of this shite keep getting printed, but hey, it's still better than Goodkind.

Also, I'm about 2/3 through A Blade Itself. Which is by far the best of my current reading list.

Next up is Before they are Hanged, followed by either Anansi Boys or Altered Carbon.

I'm currently finishing Ian McDonald's Brasyl, which just might be the scifi novel of the year! :)

After that, on to Lynch's Red Seas Under Red Skies. And then will come Erikson's The Lees of Laughter's End, Richard Morgan's Black Man/Thirteen and James Barclay's Cry of the Newborn. David Bilsborough's The Wanderer's Tale will be read at some point in between those titles.

As always, the batting order can/will change at a moment's notice! :P

Patrick

Archived