May Reading.

Frosty

REG,

re: Cat's Cradle - it's been a while since I read it, but I found his portrayal of pretty much any group, including the scientists, pretty offensive. Turned me off Vonnegut for a while.

I just whipped through Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. Simmons has turned into a guilty pleasure for me, despite his apparent Lovecraftian xenophobia of every group with which I identify (see Song of Kali, Time Traveller). (He's undoubtedly a good storyteller.) Carrion Comfort is a decent enough thriller/horror, with some interesting sociopathic POV. I did enjoy that the first half was set in the last two cities in which I have lived (St. Louis, Philadelphia). The second half suffers imo from the use of "deus ex machina" level technology allowing the good guys to win against much more powerful advesaries.

I started Brasyl by Ian McDonald today. I'm about 50 pages in. So far I'm not interested in any of the characters, but I've only got the 'intro' portion for each so it should pick up as I get to see them again.

REG,

re: Cat's Cradle - it's been a while since I read it, but I found his portrayal of pretty much any group, including the scientists, pretty offensive. Turned me off Vonnegut for a while.

Yeah, I don't know if I'll be reading another of his works anytime soon.

I read Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle today, and unfortunately I was not impressed. I also don't think the book aged well (first published in 1963), and I found some of the language offensive.

5/10

I guess something is not for everyone. I personally loved this book and I have enjoyed almost everything I have read from this guy. I love authors that can mix comedy and tradgedy at the same time and Vonnegut does this as well as anyone.

Is Ice-9 realistic? Maybe not but theres not a lot I have read in the genre of science fiction that is realistic. The best you can you get with sci-fi is "Well maybe...." Ice-9 works within the context of the story and is a powerful literary device. This book is thoughtful and very moving and features a new religion. The book features a "last-rites" type scene. I won't spoil any details but this was one of the most memerable passages I have ever read. Its too bad that RedEyedGhost and Bellis didn't enjoy but other members might enjoy.

I guess something is not for everyone. I personally loved this book and I have enjoyed almost everything I have read from this guy. I love authors that can mix comedy and tradgedy at the same time and Vonnegut does this as well as anyone.

Is Ice-9 realistic? Maybe not but theres not a lot I have read in the genre of science fiction that is realistic. The best you can you get with sci-fi is "Well maybe...." Ice-9 works within the context of the story and is a powerful literary device. This book is thoughtful and very moving and features a new religion. The book features a "last-rites" type scene. I won't spoil any details but this was one of the most memerable passages I have ever read. Its too bad that RedEyedGhost and Bellis didn't enjoy but other members might enjoy.

I don't mind unrealistic science... in an unrealistic world. If the book is set on Earth in the present, then I want the science to at least be possible at some point. Ice-nine is not possible, and just seems silly.

Another thing, the book was billed as humorous, and I laughed maybe once.

Spartanstark: What did you find humorous in the book?

I don't mind unrealistic science... in an unrealistic world. If the book is set on Earth in the present, then I want the science to at least be possible at some point. Ice-nine is not possible, and just seems silly.

Another thing, the book was billed as humorous, and I laughed maybe once.

Spartanstark: What did you find humorous in the book?

Crap.

Now I have to try and remember something. I read Cat's Cradle about 10 years ago. So specific, jokes or interactions are beyond my very feeble memory at this point. With Vonnegut, its usually the dialog, Vonneguts voice in the writing, or unusual circumstances that do it. I crack up in all of his books. Sorry I can't give ya something more specific. Maybe its a sign I should read it again this summer.

RedEye, I felt the same way about Slaugherhouse Five, I dunno what I expected but I was disappointed. At times I don't understand hoopla about certain works, perhaps it was just me. Thanks for the info on CC. Funny on SH5 is it involves an Optometrist. (I say this since I read about your occupation somewhere in a post.) :D

RedEye, I felt the same way about Slaugherhouse Five, I dunno what I expected but I was disappointed. At times I don't understand hoopla about certain works, perhaps it was just me. Thanks for the info on CC. Funny on SH5 is it involves an Optometrist. (I say this since I read about your occupation somewhere in a post.) :D

Dammit Frosty, now I'm have to read it! :cool:

Archived