*SPOILERS* GRRM's Remark on ADwD

Tysha

• 4 weeks later...

Frankly, if all Theon's POV amounts to is him being tortured to death, I wouldn't be bothered. Of all the repugnant characters in ASoIaF, I find him the most hateful for some reason. Theon 'let Ramsay know he's been a very bad boy'? What would you call Theon's antics in CoK? He makes Ramsay Bolton look like a normal, well-adjusted person, not to mention a strategic mastermind.

I know that won't happen, but it can't hurt to dream, can it?

• 1 month later...
Frankly, if all Theon's POV amounts to is him being tortured to death, I wouldn't be bothered. Of all the repugnant characters in ASoIaF, I find him the most hateful for some reason. Theon 'let Ramsay know he's been a very bad boy'? What would you call Theon's antics in CoK? He makes Ramsay Bolton look like a normal, well-adjusted person, not to mention a strategic mastermind.

I know that won't happen, but it can't hurt to dream, can it?

Selyse and likely Stannis' daughter are both at Eastwatch. It was stated specifically that Selyse at the least was there. I doubt he would leave his daughter to the siege he knew was sure to come to Dragonstone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't noticed this mentioned here, but in the Update section of GRRM's page there is a teaser that says "Seeing as how I made you wait so long between updates, however, I'll throw out one small teaser, and mention I'm adding some chapters from the point of view of one of the characters featured in the first lot of Ice & Fire miniatures from Dark Sword, a character who has never had a POV in any of the earlier books." Looking up the miniatures that means (unless I missed a batch) that there will be a POV from either Mel, Loras (assuming he's alive), or the Hound (also assuming he's alive).

• 4 weeks later...

Theon is a little shit and I'm not too sympathetic to hear that he's been skinned alive or whatever, but where Theon is a stupidly cruel, disloyal, arrogant and selfish bastard, Ramsay is a deranged sadist and psychopath. If Theon does manage to escape and kill Ramsay, I will be pleased.

I will be even more pleased if a Stark finds Theon and Ramsay and tortures both of them to death, however, so let's see how it goes. :D

I hope Ramsay rapes Theon and makes him swallow his spunk, see how Theon likes it. :rofl:

Seriously though, I find him to be completley disgusting, Something about him rubs me the wrong way.

• 1 month later...

I just read on his livejournal that GRRM finished with chapters for Sansa and Arya and he's making a lot of progress with Dany. Thought I'd pass it along.

Also, that got me thinking about what Arya chapters are going to be like in DWD since she was in the last book as well? I thought about Arya, and since GRRM started getting creative with the naming of the chapters in FFC, maybe the chapters in DWD aren't actually Arya, but are Jeyne Poole as Arya--like how some of the Sansa chapters in FFC being called "Alayne Stone." That still leaves me at a loss as to what the Sansa chapters will be like, but I thought it was an interesting line of thought.

I'm probably a few years tardy to the party (I have been on everything else, it seems), but I hadn't seen this idea posted in another topic, so sorry if I'm out of turn.

I think GRRM is justifying yet another delay. THe good news though is that he's including Arya and Sansa (and hopefully a few others) and actually resolving cliffhgangers. I get the idea that hes close to the end but it may take another month or two. I'm still hoping for a 2008 release...

Now that we know Sansa is in ADwD, I think it's almost certain that the wedding is Sansa's wedding to Harry. It is of course possible that Daenerys or someone else gets married, but we knew from AFfC that Sansa was (probably) going to get married again, which makes that answer much more logical. The main argument against it was always to question whether Sansa would be in ADwD at all. Personally, Sansa's storyline is currently my favorite, so I'm happy :)

The other possible wedding is false Arya and Ramsay Bolton.

Now that we know Sansa is in ADwD, I think it's almost certain that the wedding is Sansa's wedding to Harry. It is of course possible that Daenerys or someone else gets married, but we knew from AFfC that Sansa was (probably) going to get married again, which makes that answer much more logical. The main argument against it was always to question whether Sansa would be in ADwD at all. Personally, Sansa's storyline is currently my favorite, so I'm happy :)

The other possible wedding is false Arya and Ramsay Bolton.

It would be entirely out of keeping with GRRM's style to fast-forward to Sansa's wedding to Harry the Heir so soon. I would expect just a few Sansa chapters, also ending in cliff hangers. Jeyne Poole and Ramsay Bolton is much more likely; Daenerys she has enough to do in this book without scheduling a wedding. Dany's chapters will end (avert your eyes, spoiler-phobes) with Quentyn marching to Dany's rescue at the head of the Golden Company and destroying the Khalasar and other riff-raff attacking her. Oh and I agree with you McCloskey and feel exactly the same way.

Sansa won't get married any time soon, because Littlefinger can't yet risk a high-profile marriage that might result in her being recognized. He would be in big trouble if the folks in King's Landing found out that he was harboring her. In order to make this marriage happen, he's going to have to consolidate his power base in such a way that he need no longer worry about the Iron Throne coming after him. That is, he has to amass a significant following of lords and convince them that they have something to gain from launching a rebellion against the Iron Throne. Surely the point of having Sansa present at the meeting of all those lords of the Vale (including the one who almost recognized her) was to communicate to them that he had the last surviving Stark--a powerful mascot around which to rally, as well as the heiress to a great deal of land. Petyr could be planning to revive the Northern alliance, only this time with Sansa instead of Robb as the figurehead and with the Vale instead of the far North as the headquarters of the operation. But making this happen is going to take awhile.

I predict that the next big event involving Sansa will have something to do with Ser Shadrich (aka the Mad Mouse), who tracked her down to the Vale. My guess is he'll kidnap her or blackmail Littlefinger for an exorbitant sum.

The wedding will be between Jeyne Poole and Ramsay Bolton.

Why all the hate on Theon?

It wasn't his plan to attack the North; it was his father's plan. He was pushing for the alliance with Robb, and Balon basically laughed in his face.

He was taken from his home as a hostage; now that he is a free man, his priority is to prove his loyalty and obedience to his family, kingdom and father.

He didn't kill Bran and Rickon although he could have; they ran away.

Yes, he's misogynistic, but that's his culture and upbringing. Most of the male PoVs are also misogynistic by modern standards, including Jon Snow, Tyrion, Eddard, Jaime, etc... It's not terribly interesting to judge him by that.

No, he doesn't give a shit about the smallfolk. He's a prince and heir to the Iron Isles. If you've met people who was raised in high society IRL, I'd think you'd meet many people with the same PoV.

Yes, he made a stupid mistake in not doing what Asha said: raze Winterfell and take the Stark boys as hostages to win the war. If he had done that, he'd probably be at least somewhat heroic.

Cheers,

Dai

This remark from GRRM dates from early 2007; by then, it is unlikely he was already writing Sansa chapters as he probably took the decision to include characters from "Feast" (other than Arya and Asha) only after he was almost finished with the other POV's (the North/East ones). He would first want to see how much material (pages) he had by that point, how well/badly the writing went and if he could integrate the "Feast" POV's in the ending of "Dance". In fact, this blog comment that he finished a Sansa chapter is the first time we have an indication that he has indeed decided to tie up some lose ends from "Feast" - before he always said "perhaps I will include this, if room and time permits".

So, the marriage is likely not Sansa's. Moreover, it's far from certain the marriage will ever go through: it isn't the first time a bethrotal was cancelled for her. Especially since Sansa is still a wanted fugitive and her husband is still alive.

Archived