*SPOILERS* GRRM's Remark on ADwD

Tysha

Re: Connington - Perhaps he is loyal to his dead friend, Rhaegar and also loyal to the Targaryen throne. Maybe he has honor and will continue to act for the Targs?? Just speculation at this point.

I don't believe Connington is dead. Anytime GRRM writes that it was thought or heard that a character died, I have my doubts. His style is to purposely leave things open so we, as readers, can think,speculate, and have fun.

I

This makes no sence if Ronnet HAD gone over to Robert durring the war he'd have expected a reward rather than the opposite of loosing 1/2 his lands and the rank of title. IRRC from other loyalist houses we've seen this seems likely a punishment for siding with Aerys, thus Ronnet like Jon would have supported Aerys till after the war was over then surrendered so as not to loose everything.

It wasn’t Red Ronnet it was his father and Red Ronnet himself mentioned that his father went to Robert after Lord Jon was exiled. This means that before that he supported his cousin. Mind Robert did not return him anything since Lord Jon cousin didn’t posses anything. Robert awarded him his family castle with some land for his service but withheld the treasury and give best part of Connington’s land to his more fervent supporters.

Re: Connington - Perhaps he is loyal to his dead friend, Rhaegar and also loyal to the Targaryen throne. Maybe he has honor and will continue to act for the Targs?? Just speculation at this point.

I don't believe Connington is dead. Anytime GRRM writes that it was thought or heard that a character died, I have my doubts. His style is to purposely leave things open so we, as readers, can think,speculate, and have fun.

I

Even without of spoilers we should have suspect that Jon Connington is not dead. He is mentioned many times in the series and no one mentioned seen him dead. He supposedly drunk himself to death soon after his exile but this is obviously only rumor. Well people believe in it since Connington apparently never showed up for many ears so it is logical to assume that he is dead indeed.

But on the other side we know that prince Rhaegar had some secrets. He probably shared them to his friends but of them are supposed to be dead. So how could Rhaegar’s secrets be possibly revealed? One of his dead friends should turn alive. And Connington here is the only candidate since the rest are dead for sure.

Simply a plot demands Jon Connington to be alive so he sure will come back to the scene.

As for his loyalty… All written above means that his existence in the book is justified by the fact that he was Rhaegar’s dear friend. So it much more probable that he indeed remained loyal to his dead friend and his house.

I don't think Asha makes sense since the writing seems to have happened recently and we got the Asha chapter where that "marriage" was mentioned at Boskone.

I don't like Dany and Quentyn because I don't think Dany will marry a Martell.

Sansa seems out since she supposedly won't have chapters in ADWD, right?

Dany and Victarion seems like a possibility to me since I think Dany will marry a Greyjoy next.

Jeyne Poole and Ramsay seems to fit with the word "marriage" only as I don't think Ramsay will include much pomp in his perfunctory wedding ceremony.

If I had to bet, I would put it 60% on JP and R and 40% on D and V.

I don't think Asha makes sense since the writing seems to have happened recently and we got the Asha chapter where that "marriage" was mentioned at Boskone.

I don't like Dany and Quentyn because I don't think Dany will marry a Martell.

Sansa seems out since she supposedly won't have chapters in ADWD, right?

Dany and Victarion seems like a possibility to me since I think Dany will marry a Greyjoy next.

Jeyne Poole and Ramsay seems to fit with the word "marriage" only as I don't think Ramsay will include much pomp in his perfunctory wedding ceremony.

If I had to bet, I would put it 60% on JP and R and 40% on D and V.

Well, the way he spoke of it, the wedding seemed more of a chapter rather than a bit of background information. From whose perspective would we see JP & R? Theon? would the Boltons really allow one of the few people left in Westeros who could name Arya a fake to attend the wedding? Or if Roose & co. haven't made it past the Neck by the time JP & R marry, again, from what perspective would we see it? there aren't many POV's left south of the neck outside of Kings Landing

My bet is Dany and either Victarion (for his ships) or Quentyn (for a Dornish alliance). Probably the first one to arrive.

From whose perspective would we see JP & R? Theon? would the Boltons really allow one of the few people left in Westeros who could name Arya a fake to attend the wedding?
I think Ramsay would like to know for sure if Arya is a fake or not. Just in case, such info might be useful in the game of thrones. So, he might allow Theon to attend. I am quite sure Theon won't do anything which might disappoint Ramsay. :)

I think Ramsay would like to know for sure if Arya is a fake or not. Just in case, such info might be useful in the game of thrones. So, he might allow Theon to attend. I am quite sure Theon won't do anything which might disappoint Ramsay. :)

There is no need for him to bring Theon. In the AFFC appendix many women of Winterfell listed as prisoners in Dreadfort. so Ramsay has enough persons who could tell him about Arya.

The marriage could be Asha as she attempts to marry one of the few Iron islanders still with her or some Northman to improve her position. From the chapter at Boskone it seemed like her only move was to try and free Theon to challenge the kingsmoot, which would be tough to do without getting some serious support.

From that same chapter, she's already married (by proxy). Though it could well be her attempts to deal with that marriage and perhaps forge a new one.

That was what I was thinking as a possibility. I'm not sure what Asha's plan could be. I thought she might try and meet up with Stannis and support him in return for his support to rescue Theon. As King he could nullify her proxy marriage and free her to marry someone else. If she was with Stannis then we could view the marriage from Jon's POV.

But if GRRm is just writing this now, hopefully that means the wedding takes place at the end of the book and therefore it could be Dany.

There is no need for him to bring Theon. In the AFFC appendix many women of Winterfell listed as prisoners in Dreadfort. so Ramsay has enough persons who could tell him about Arya.
Asking Theon is safer than asking any of that women. Women might blab the secret out. Theon won't.

Asking Theon is safer than asking any of that women. Women might blab the secret out. Theon won't.

Just the opposite. Theon is highborn and if he will be eventually released he could reveal the truth. The women are but commoners so their words could be easily dismissed even if they would be ever released.

Just the opposite. Theon is highborn and if he will be eventually released he could reveal the truth. The women are but commoners so their words could be easily dismissed even if they would be ever released.
I greatly doubt that Ramsay will allow Theon to be released. After all, the latter already knows another great secret: Bran and Rickon being alive. So, he is deadmeat. It would need a person like Barristan the Bald to release him...

He has his own reasons to keep that secret.
Very bad reasons. I think he is smarter now.

Besides since he already took the credit for killing them not many will believe his claim that he actually didn’t.
After few rounds of hearsay, most of people wouldn't even know that the source of this hearsay was Theon himself. And most of northerners would be happy to believe in this.

Anyway, I see no reasons for both Boltons to release Theon, in any scenario. Roose definitely said he plans to get a ransom for Theon's death, not for his freedom.

The trouble is that Theon actually provided bodies of the boys he killed. After the bodies have been seen in order to prove that they are alive one have to present them.

About Theon – Boltons have many reasons to keep him alive but you are right – almost no reasons to release him. But somebody else may have them.

The trouble is that Theon actually provided bodies of the boys he killed. After the bodies have been seen in order to prove that they are alive one have to present them.
Well, both sides may play same game. False Bran vs false Arya.

About Theon – Boltons have many reasons to keep him alive but you are right – almost no reasons to release him. But somebody else may have them.
Somebody else lacks opportunity. Most likely, Bolton's guards are ordered to kill the prisoner in case of intrusion.

As I said already, you need a Barristan Selmy to save him...

I think Dany marrying Quentyn Martell fits best out of the options I've seen so far. Considering timelines, Quentyn has a large geographic head start on Victarion and was sent with a similar mission in mind. There is precedent for Targs marrying Martells and there aren't any other Targs around for Dany to marry, it may seem the most traditional option left to her. Dany has need for political allies in Westeros, and the backing of the Dorne would be a big plus for any Targ wanting to return there.

I have no idea what the GC or Connington may bring into play, but if they do show up claiming to have a Targ descendant, well that complicates things quite a bit.

I also think we may see Dany marry two men, not just one (Three heads has the dragon and all of that). Which may also explain why GRRM used the term marriage instead of wedding.

2 Malcolm - I agree with you that Theon’s situations is very bad with only his sister needs him alive and free. But on the other side GRRM is bringing Theon’s POV back and I doubt that this would be justified if Theon will spend his entire chapters prisoner in Dreadfort. So we could some unexpected turn of events in his case.

2 Benjen

You are right - Quentyn should be well ahead of Victarion if something wouldn’t slow him on the way. Yet while Martells married Targaryens four times and this marriage would be well within traditions it is not really necessary since Martells would support Dany without of it as well.

As for two husbands. This may be difficult. In Targaryen family there were examples of many wives but never many husbands. The obvious complication is that in the first place it is possible to name both parents of every child and in the second it could be quite problematic.

As for Connington and GC… From spoilers we only know that Grif is for some reason concerned about GC and that the fact that “the dragon has three heads†somehow could affect it. Too little and too obscure to make any conclusions.

Archived