Wizard's First Rule

Antares

A friend recommended the Sword of Truth series. My first thought was "that's a corny name", but I decided to buy a copy of the first book in the series because apparantly it has a huckleberry award or something, so I figured it must be good.

Ye gods, I'm not even finished the first chapter and this is unbearable, I just had to put it away. The main character starts out in the forest, and decides that he hates some random vine he comes across, and tries to pull it off of a tree. Of course, being a woodsguide, he should know that if you tug on a thorned vine, you'll get a thorn in your hand. (He doesn't realize this, so he gets a thorn in his hand). And the thorn also is apparantly alive and is burrowing into his skin, which he casually ignores (why do I get the feeling that that is some sort of evil thorn vine that will have some significance later?). Then he happens to spot something red and chases after it. Then he turns around and sees a woman in a dress being chased through the forest by 4 people who are trying to remain hidden (how could he see them if they are trying to remain hidden, why can't they see him if he isn't trying to remain hidden, and why are they even trying to remain hidden when they could just run up and catch the woman?). He decides to help this woman, and meets up with her (and apparantly she's an expert poker player, her expert poker-face being pierced only by the poker-eyes of the protagonist, who can read everything about her from a casual glance) and they flee the 4 men together, who eventually catch them. Then there is some thunder or whatever, and all of the baddies get kicked off the cliff... then the girl tells the protagonist that she's so lonely because she has no friends...

that's where I put the book down. Jesus... is that what passes for literature? I could write better than that when I was in Grade 8.

Does it get better? Or should I just donate that book to the library and let someone else dredge through that?

Wrong Forum.

There have been thousands and thousand of post mocking goodkind and the SOT series. Go check out Lit.

Short answer. Stop now while you still have most of your brain cells.

I would suggest burning the book so that your not responsible for some other poor SOB reading it.

Does it get better? Or should I just donate that book to the library and let someone else dredge through that?

I'd recommend you check out the Literature forum and look for a thread or two that include the name 'Goodkind' in the title.

Also, anyone who recommended it to you should not be conisdered your friend :rolleyes:

Aratan

You absolutely MUST keep reading. This gem of classic fiction will have you enthralled with it's moral celery for pages to come. Whatever you do, do NOT go to the Goodkind threads in the literature forum before you have completed the book. :read:

But arm yourself with morale celery. They work as a kind of talisman to survie his inane drivel. That or a lot of Canadian Wisky.

Wrong Forum.

There have been thousands and thousand of post mocking goodkind and the SOT series. Go check out Lit.

Short answer. Stop now while you still have most of your brain cells.

I would suggest burning the book so that your not responsible for some other poor SOB reading it.

But I don't think one can truly appreciate Goodkind bashing without having at least gotten through most if not all of Wizard's First Rule. How else can Goodkind's moral clarity be so appreciated?

:devil:

Ah, sorry, I forgot this community had a literature forum.

I realize that I am being superficial from judging a book by the first 20 or so pages, but its the intro that sets the pace for the rest of the novel.

But it looks like I judged correctly from everyone else's response. =)

I'm in 2 minds about this. It's vile to recommned you read them, but at the same time, it does give illimited entertainment potential when you afterwards dig into the Goodkinds bashing threads.

It does get worse. WFR is by far the best of the lot of the series, so you get the drift.

Ah, sorry, I forgot this community had a literature forum.

I realize that I am being superficial from judging a book by the first 20 or so pages, but its the intro that sets the pace for the rest of the novel.

But it looks like I judged correctly from everyone else's response. =)

Trust me on something. You have seen nothing yet, NOTHING. It gets so much worse later in the book not to mention later in the series...there really are no words. You just have to read it for yourself to understand. WFR is actually the best of the books.

I've found that I can read and be amused by the various Goodkind threads without ever picking up a single one of Tairy's books because of Mad Moose's excellent selections of TG Quotes of the Day. In those gems, I have read enough of Tairy's original prose to understand the various parodies, jokes and so on.

I've read the Chicken that was not a Chicken passage. I've read the Moral Celery/How to Deal with Peace Protesters passage. It's all there. I need never touch a single one of his volumes to in order to contribute.

Guest Raidne

Evil chickens FTW!

I think you should read more, but in the same vein that you might watch a movie that's so bad it's good - that is to say, when you're high.

Also, it this seems like a good forum to showcase my new sig... (from chat)

It is Goodkind is our God that enamored me to the board in the first place - check it out sometime.

And so Goodkind claims another subforum. And when the Sword of Truth movie is finally released, the Entertainment forum will fall as well. Is there no bastion where centipede-like worshipers of death can hide from from the yeard?

Goodkind requires a bit more "suspension of disbelief" than some other authors.

This entire statement seems to fly right in the face of everything TG is trying to achieve. But then again, maybe it's just an age thing. :P

(What is with the TG threads already this week? Wow. Just, wow.)

And so Goodkind claims another subforum. And when the Sword of Truth movie is finally released, the Entertainment forum will fall as well. Is there no bastion where centipede-like worshipers of death can hide from from the yeard?

:lol:

I'd prefer watching the movie to reading the book. His style is truly atrocious. He tries to be poetic with his description of a puddle in the ground, for example, but when we get to the first combat scene in the book... its not only confusing and lacking in anything resembling choreography, but it is completely unexciting, and the characters walk away unshaken and without any scratches. I'd trust the Hollywood producers to think of something better.

Oh, but may I ask something quickly to those who have read the whole thing through:

If it is so horrible, then why is it so popular, and on the recieving end of so much praise from critics? Is it because of the deep philosophies in the book?

Archived