Wizard's First Rule

Antares

Final comment to Nora Stark - there is nothing wrong with reading and enjoying the books, as long as you do it properly. Which is either with a sense of reverence at the truly non-fantasy important human themes (like riding dragons and killing people with your magic sword), or with an appreciation of the minimalist fluff of the plot that helps while away a boring hour. I forget which one is objectively proper. Though I hear every time you use the latter, a night wisp dies.

Well, I suppose I've offed a lot of night wisps then. :) I will say that I have, at least, never paid for these books. The wonder of libraries, eh?

Alright, I've been reading that book all day and all I can say is wow...

Can a book become a cult classic? Whether or not there's precedent, I have a feeling that in 20 years, this book become one.

If we're lucky, he'll die of an aneurysm before publishing Confessor.

Sweet.

Sorry, but Confessor is due November, I think. It's probably packed up and waiting to be shipped.

And oodly enough, I want to see the damn thing finished. For my peace of mind.

Oh man, these threads make me recall years gone by - I read/skimmed a couple of Terry's monstrosities back in middle school. I remember being horrified by the prose, the plotting, the characters, pretty much everything. Somehow I felt compelled to continue, even after it became obvious that Terry was apeing Jordan a few chapters of into Stone of Tear. It was like watching a catastrophic car crash in action, and not being able to look away.

That reminds me, can I sue Tairy for lasting emotional scars inflicted upon my tender juvenile psyche?

Well, Tairy has been pretty clear on the fact that it is just a coincidence(stone of tears, sisters of the dark), since, despite his strong opinions about what fantasy authors are doing, he doesn't read them, or much of anything. How can he copy books when he doesn't read them? I for one believe him when he says he doesn't read.

Well, Tairy has been pretty clear on the fact that it is just a coincidence(stone of tears, sisters of the dark), since, despite his strong opinions about what fantasy authors are doing, he doesn't read them, or much of anything. How can he copy books when he doesn't read them? I for one believe him when he says he doesn't read.

Of course. As was also the case with Rowling.

I could accept the Sister of the Dark, because it's common enough a concept, but Stone of Tears? For a while there I confused TG with Jordan (when I first saw it).

Maybe it is a coincidence. Stranger thjings have happened, anyways.

It would be easier to believe Tairy's plea of non-plagiarism if his "Stone of Tears" was actually a key plot point that just happened to have the same name as something of Jordan's. But no. The story involves Richard getting kidnapped by the Sisters, Kahlan painting herself white and getting almost-raped, and a plot by Darken Rahl to come back from the dead and open some boxes, or something. The actual Stone of the title has exactly zero effect on the story, I mean literally none whatsoever. Hmm, do you think it might have been shoehorned in at the end to lure in unwary Jordan fans??

I for one believe him when he says he doesn't read.

Me too. There's never a mention of any author in his interviews, ever. I think his fantasy references are Conan the Barbarian and Hawk the Slayer. Fucking clueless.

Alright, I've been reading that book all day and all I can say is wow...

Can a book become a cult classic? Whether or not there's precedent, I have a feeling that in 20 years, this book become one.

Yeardi already has the cult thing down pat. Now I suppose we just need 20 years of dumbing down and coarsening tastes. Then at that point, it is possible that it will be a classic. I hope I'll be dead at that point, from almost-rape with barbed phalli.

Such a coincidence - I took Wizard's First Rule out from the library just last week. I haven't started reading yet...

...although after seeing this thread I'm not entirely sure I want to...

NOOOOOO!! The namble claims another victim!

Me too. There's never a mention of any author in his interviews, ever. I think his fantasy references are Conan the Barbarian and Hawk the Slayer. Fucking clueless.

Well obviously you haven't been paying enough attention in his interviews. He HAS no fantasy references because he is NOT a fantasy author. Sheesh. Someone needs to be instructed on the proper method of reading.

Speaking of which, does someone have on hand the link to the thread where he says that? 'Cos I'd like to be able to quote it in context. It's more celerious that way. (plug new sig, fish for praise)

Archived