The annoyingly perfect hero / heroine

Waterdancer

The perfect hero or heroine is a type of character that never works well. They're written in to be the righteous opposite of the required villain. To me, they've always backfired. I tend to find myself wanting the perfect character to get, at the very least, a good ass beating. To be well-rounded, of course, I also want my villians to be something more than just evil. But it's the perfect characters that aggrevate me more.

It takes a lot more skill for an author to create a complex, flawed character. That's one of the things I like when I read GRRM, although Dany sometimes skirts a little too close to being perfect.

The 'perfect' characters that bug me the most:

Aenea (Endymion series)

Nicole Desjardin (Rendesvous with Rama series)

Fran Goldsmith (The Stand)

Who's on your list?

...Nicole Desjardin (Rendesvous with Rama series)...

Oh lord, she is at the top of my list. I can't believe I read through all those sequels despite her being in them.

I have to imagine most of us wanted to gangster slap Polgara "aunt Pol" the Sorceress at one point at least during the Belgariad....

Maybe its just me? :pirate::drunk:

Nope, that was exactly whom I thought of when I read the thread.

Dan Brown's Robert Langdon was the epitome of a "Gary Stu" character. Every time I hear someone say how great that book was I just want to scream.

Paul Atreides

Anasurimbor Kellhus

Any 'Jedi' characters annoy the piss out of me.

Yeah, but neither of these characters are portrayed as morally good, like how Richard Rahl is done. Both of them are ruthless assholes much of the time.

Paul Atreides

Anasurimbor Kellhus

Any 'Jedi' characters annoy the piss out of me.

Wow, two of my favorite characters in fantasy and sci-fi literature. :stunned:

But I think that Leto II is worse than Paul Atreides. At least Paul messes up and often realizes his own moral ambiguity and tries to avoid his inevitable future ruthless jihad.

Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt.

Clive Cussler. Any author who puts himself as himself and as the hero--and has them meet--and has them share the same taste in cars that he owns in real life (and is pictured with on the back cover as well) deserves to be shot.

Anasurimbor Kellhus

Agreed. Though I'd say that while he's perfect at everything he does (so far anyway) I don't believe Bakker is writing him as the perfect person, rather he's a huge fucking sociopath that's got "MAD SKILLZ, son". There is a difference there, and I still hope that he's getting setup for a huge fall in the new trilogy(?).

Well, I'd give my answer, but I'm afraid I'd be stoned.

Ah what the hell...

Gandalf.

Gandalf is supposed to be the archetypical white wizard. Everything he does is morally correct, and he infinitely wise and never makes any mistakes in his decisions.

Edit: Except trusting Saruman.

Rhapsody, she of the regenerating maidenhood, who makes people bump into each other on the street, and thinks it's because she's so ugly.

Jaenelle Angelline.

Honor Harrington.

Polgara the sorceress, and her clone from Elenium, Sephrenia.

Make that all the characters from Elenium.

Anasurimbor Kellhus

Serwe

I don't see either of those as perfect. Serwe is completely delusional and nuts, and ends up getting killed. Kellhus, while having amazing physical and mental abilities, is a heartless bastard. Sure, everybody likes him because he manipulates them into liking him.

On the other hand...

Eragon

No argument.

Archived