progress?

Yup, I asked GRRM about this in Belfast and he said that progress on the book has gone about as far as it can until he can dive into it. He said Elio and Linda had also done a great job on it so far ;) He also mentioned that it needs to come out after ADWD, which I'm assuming is because it builds on some of the info in that book (so maybe a map of Volantis might be included or something along those lines?).

Nice. Hadn't known that GRRM remarked on it. :)

The character section will be updated through ADwD, certainly -- we're due for a manuscript or ARC as soon as that's available (*rubs hands with glee*) -- and I suspect we'll have some extra stuff about the Free Cities and Slaver's Bay thanks to it.

• 4 months later...

Any further developments since last November? I suppose Elio and Linda have done just about all they can do with the project until Martin finishes Dance.

I do have a question for Ran/Elio though...

Are there plans to have a special edition as opposed to the standard retail edition of the book? (i.e. a limited edition custom hardback and slipcase, signed, etc.) I am sure this could get rather expensive, but I would still buy it. With the discussed high quality maps, layouts, artwork, etc., I wouldn't mind if this thing was the size of a coffee table book. :)

Not much new to report. You're right, all that we can do now is fiddle and tinker a bit at this stage while wait.

No plans that I know of for a special edition of any kind, I'm afraid. I don't think anyone's contracted to turn out a limited edition, and if Bantam does a special edition, it will differ only a wee bit from the regular edition (looking at past practices).

• 11 months later...

Bumpity bump.. Almost a year to the day.

Ran, are there any updates? ADwD is wrapping up it seems. I presume or at least hope GRRM's attention will be turning towards the work you and Linda have been doing. However, if I may, have there been any significant developments or changes on this front since last April?

Are there any new names on board? Do we know anything about the first edition's format? Granted, I know you previously mentioned that there were no plans to produce an SE or deluxe edition; however, I hope this volume gets at least hardback treatment versus a flimsy softback publication. And lastly, are we still to expect a title similar to "The Worldbook of.." like other historical/cultural/geo-physiographical fictional reference guides or are we going to get something a little more unique?

Thanks a million! ..or here's hoping as many sell in the first week! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived