Second life appearence by George R R Martin

davec

speaking of real life castles vs. Westeros castle, I often wonder if Stirling Castle gave martin the Idea of Castly Rock it is what I think when I think of the Rock (sorry of the aside)

IIRC, Casterly Rock was inspired by Gibraltar, the Eyrie by Neuschwanstein. Not sure about the others. The Scottish ruins one was cool. I didn't know that.

They talked a bit about how they were pleased that the fans had the idea for the series first, that HBO was the obvious choice, and that they intended to cover every bit of the books, as they realized a feature film would have to focus on just two stories and they didn't want that at all.

They know the right things to say anyhow. :) Although GRRM said in Denver in May that he doesn't expect the show for another 2 years (if it happens of course).

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a very interesting event.

Well, she's the one that waved and said something when GRRM said Parris was there, but I could be entirely and totally wrong.

Damned impostors... :)

Anyone know where a transcript is posted? Or an MP3?

I was planning on jumping in as, uh, research for work, but forgot about it (Second Life is the new buzz word(s) for online training. The jury is still out whether it can be considered an efffecive training medium, or just fun to run around.)

I was planning on jumping in as, uh, research for work, but forgot about it (Second Life is the new buzz word(s) for online training. The jury is still out whether it can be considered an efffecive training medium, or just fun to run around.)

Sharaith posted her email address on GRRM's blog saying that she has an mp3 audio file of the event. The sound quality is really, really good and there aren't any gaps or anything. If you email her she'll send you the link to the hosting site.

[Xray: email addy redacted to prevent bot-vasion]

I answered two of the questions at the raffle and I won diddly. Personally I thought the whole thing was rather disorganized, and I think only two people won. Walker, and some other guy.

Huh. I left right after the HBO guys did their thing and I got an email saying I won something in the raffle. I hope I get the signed Dreamsongs! (see post #125 for details)

Damned impostors... :)

I vote the latter. I am about to start another round of bitching at our IT department to let me log in during work hours. You know, to keep the mag flames alive. ;)

I'm going to type a transcript based on a recording of the Q&A sections (not of the book readings: that's copywrite material). I'll try and start that tonight and hopefully finish over the weekend.

ETA: I'm now halfway through the transcribing. I'll finish tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got home from an exceedingly long day and was puzzled by the UPS package propped against my door. I tore it open, and there it was...my raffle prize! I am now the proud owner of a signed ARC of Dreamsongs! Thanks Bantam, and thanks Second Life!

Archived