Gijon 2008

• 1 month later...

I think me and himself are planning on going to Denver and then on an epic trip to New York. I'm not sure how feasible this would be on the time off and finances front in that case.

N

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
If this gets a decent turnout, I almost more excited to go to this than to Denver. I would love to attend the Black Week.

Huh. I was going to revive this thread in the New Year. :) I'd like to go but not sure how things will go attendance wise, with Denver just a month later. I'm not sure when Black Week is either to be honest, since the con itself runs for 10 days. And while GRRM gets a really cool train ride to Gijon from Madrid (I presume its just for the guests anyhow but maybe not), normal train journeys take over 5 hours. Asturias is the closest airport, if people somehow manage to get there by plane (its not that easy from my previous investigation except if you live in Spain or London).

So, not been able to get there easy doesn't help, although i'm willing to try it if there is interest.

• 1 month later...
Huh. I was going to revive this thread in the New Year. :) I'd like to go but not sure how things will go attendance wise, with Denver just a month later. I'm not sure when Black Week is either to be honest, since the con itself runs for 10 days. And while GRRM gets a really cool train ride to Gijon from Madrid (I presume its just for the guests anyhow but maybe not), normal train journeys take over 5 hours. Asturias is the closest airport, if people somehow manage to get there by plane (its not that easy from my previous investigation except if you live in Spain or London).

So, not been able to get there easy doesn't help, although i'm willing to try it if there is interest.

I still want to go but I am also afraid there is not enough interest. Also, since it looks like there will be more attendance there, I will probably go to Technicon if I go to a regional this year. But if a bunch of Euros commit to this one, I would be jazzed to go. Like I said, The Black Week looks like teh awesome.

Whooh boy, this is going to throw everyone's plans for a loop - hold on to reserving travel or hotels until we're absolutely sure on this info.

We got a message from one of the folks at Gigamesh (George's Sanish publisher) that Semana Negra starts on July 11, not July 4, and we're expected to be in Gijon for the first week of the festival.

I've written back asking for double confirmation, and have yet to get a response.

will write again today, and hope to know more tomorrow, but for right now, hold off any planning until we're absolutely sure.

as if things weren't chaotic enough around here right now.

Parris

Yeah, it's true. Just got the confirming email from the good people of Gigamesh.

Semana Negra STARTS on JULY 11.

George is expected to be on the Black train, and will be in Gijon for about a week.

What this does to our other plans for the Euro trip, we're not sure at this time. I will be going to Ireland, in June. But if George will meet me there for a few days, or if he'll go straight to Spain to do a lot of the Madrid and Barcelona appearances before we go to Semana Negra, is not decided at this time.

I hope that people who were thinking of coming have enough time to rearrange their schedules and book travel and accommodations with these new dates.

Semana Negra is one hell of a good time, in a beautiful city, with a truly international guest list. Hope we'll see you there.

(And yes, please send this message on to people who are not on the boards but are considering coming to Gijon. Post to your own blogs or websites, especially if you can communicate with Spanish fans, since I'm one of those monolingual Americans who has been asked to never attempt to speak Spanish again by Spanish speakers in both the old and the new world.)

I've passed it on to Asshai.com, the main Spanish fan site. It ought to spread pretty quickly from there. :) (If any actual members of Asshai's forum can post about it as well, that'd be good -- I just sent it to the site administrator.)

I've passed it on to Asshai.com, the main Spanish fan site. It ought to spread pretty quickly from there. :) (If any actual members of Asshai's forum can post about it as well, that'd be good -- I just sent it to the site administrator.)

thanks Ran, there were a couple of Spanish fans who posted to George's blog a week ago and when I told them we were coming to Gijon they were excited, now I want to make sure I can find them and make sure they know about the date change.

An intriguing possibility opened up this week for me to attend this. Not certain yet, but I may find myself in Spain at the start of July to visit my mum but with enough cash to visit the festival as well, perhaps attend any signings or other events in Barcelona (or, even better if it's on the cards, Valencia).

Any other Eurocommie interest in this? I'm guessing some or most of those heading to Denver won't be able to afford to do both but anyone else? You still planning on attending, Ran?

There has barely been a con that I haven't been interested in at least. :P But this does sound like a very interesting one. And i've never been to Spain. So if a few people are going to make it, i'll definitely be very possible. (But yes, I imagine that Denver is going to grab a fair share of the Eurocommies).

Strange about the dates though, since the website that is linked to from GRRM's website still says the 4th to the 11th.

I will be there :)

I am not sure of all the details yet but I successfully negotiated the childcare over the Yule break :cheers: I found return airfare to Madrid for E76, and the bus ( which is apparently quicker than the train ) takes 6 hours. Being used to Irish buses this is not too daunting.

Poddy, can you do better than that ?

How cool does the Black Train ( of blacky blackness ) sound ? I am well up for that.

Was hoping my mum would be up for this, as she hasn't really seen much of the country past Castellon and Valencia, but she's sounding a bit reluctant at the moment. Probably the tack to take is to see if any of her mates would be up for it. The festival seems to be quite well known across the country.

However, I suspect that this will come very early during the time I'll be in my next job and I may not be able to get two weeks, so I may have to choose between the festival and any signings that take place before or after. As usual, the fortunes of the Great God Bank Balance will determine all ;)

I will be there :)

I am not sure of all the details yet but I successfully negotiated the childcare over the Yule break :cheers: I found return airfare to Madrid for E76, and the bus ( which is apparently quicker than the train ) takes 6 hours. Being used to Irish buses this is not too daunting.

Hmmm...i'm so easily tempted here. :) I did google Spanish trains. The site I found suggests that they take from 5 to 6 hours from the Madrid train station, so very similar to your bus time, which is a little surprising. At the same time, from a look at the Madrid airport website, it seems you can get a bus to Gijon from the airport, so that is convenient and probably why its quicker overall to use the bus. Except if people wanted to look around Madrid first. You can fly from Madrid to a relatively near airport but not sure would that save time.

While the black train sounds fun, that might be just for the guests of the event? Which would make sense. If not, that's another option.

I'd try to do this in around 1 week. Might even have less time.

All right, folks, Cristina Macía, one of the coordinators for Semana Negra, came across the thread and got in contact with me. This is what she writes:

My name is Cristina, and I am one of the coordinators of Semana Negra festival. I have read in your site the thread about his visit to Gijon, and we would be very glad to help you anyway we can. If there is anything you would like to ask, just do it! If there are a few members of your group interested in coming to Gijón, we could arrange kind of a mailing list to help you with travel questions, hotels and everything else.

Semana Negra is a BIG event, with about 150 writers attending every year (and a photojournalists meeting, and about 200 press and TV journalists, and comic-book artists, and free concerts every night...). But George will be kind of our special guest this year, and we are wishing to make everything so his visit is a huge success.

I think the things I'm most concerned about are what there is in the way of hotel, hostel, and rental options, and what events if any are already set down in the schedule (I'd guess very few). Links to tourism related sites might be good to get an idea of interesting things to see and do while there.

Anything more?

Archived